Home

Create A Playbook?

This is a discussion on Create A Playbook? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Create A Playbook?

EA's game plans for CPU teams are a big let down if you are an experienced player. They are clearly designed to make the game more noob-friendly and entice unforced errors from the AI.

Maybe there is a mod for PC that helps with this?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directshot999
I've done a bit of Google searching and can't find a definite answer here. Is this feature still in the game for Madden 20? It's literally a make-or-break for me. Can somebody who's played the beta or with more knowledge than me clarify?
Custom playbooks in Madden 20 remain unchanged. However, as you've likely heard, there are many additions and omissions regarding the actual plays themselves. I built a quick 60 play book and I didn't have any problems with audibles. The formations stacked nicely, since I always start with a book with formations I am going to keep and make sure I leave at least one play up per-those formations before deleting those that I don't want. We still cannot slot plays in our book where we would like them to show up, which is somewhat frustrating for me.

The big change I noticed is gameplanning. We can now select up to 30 plays per-situation and they will show up under suggestions. We only could do this with 9 plays last year and they showed up under frequent playcall window. Keep in mind, if you do not suggest 30, you will see plays repeated. Furthermore, you will be able to select from the newly added pass only or run only playcall windows if you wish. This will allow you to find your play more quickly.

I sent Beta feedback about the need to improve this further, as I would like to see the gameplanned plays "stack" according to star rating awarded, as was the case back in Madden 12.

They are at least headed in the right direction and they did make some improvements. They appear to have the gameplan playcall template at least in place this year. Overall, still not as organized as I'd like to see it.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
If this is the case then I would not recommend M20 if custom books are a make-or-break feature for you. The only practical use for custom books in M19 was to eliminate formations you did not use and setting custom audibles.

If you tried to add plays to formations you already had then the audibles you set would bug out and at least 2-3 formations would not have the right ones once you got into a game.

Custom books have been a big mess since they were reintroduced. The game deciding not to honor the audibles you've selected has been a problem the entire time.
I have not found this to be the case with audibles as long as you set them at the custom playbook screen. However, if you go back into your book and add more plays to a formation, you may have to re-set audibles before saving book.

I would love the ability to create a custom playbook and have formations and the plays actually lay out the way we want them. I'm not holding my breath...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #12
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
What really bothers me about custom playbooks is the inability to assign them to CPU teams in franchise mode without a crazy workaround. I can deal with the disorganization and even audibles that do not work correctly.

I also wish you could just start a playbook truly from scratch and that there were no ridiculous rules where certain plays are in the playbook simply because they have to be there. You can remove them, but they are still there.

Overall, while they are not perfect, I am willing to deal with what is there, and it works well enough.
One of my favorite parts of NCAA is completely gutting a playbook down to just the mandatory special teams formations (Yes including Goalline, of which NCAA had 3 different variations of) and having a blank canvas to create whatever I wanted. The only issue was the main formation was somewhat random (SG/Pistol/I etc.) But if you ran a pure playbook of one formation like I frequently did not only was this irrelevant but everything was properly ordered down to the playcall. The only thing it was missing was setting your own quick audibles without manipulating the play order or omitting plays entirely

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »