Home

Missing Feature: Quickly tapping the button to break tackles

This is a discussion on Missing Feature: Quickly tapping the button to break tackles within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #17
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Missing Feature: Quickly tapping the button to break tackles

Sounds pretty arcadey to me. I prefer for the ratings to dictate broken tackles. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Old 07-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
One thing that Madden has always missed the mark with is the ability to quickly tap a button to break tackles. This was one big reason why running the ball in NFL2K5 made it so fun. Giving the user the ability to continuously tap the button while the RB engages with a tackler gives the sensation of really fighting for those extra yards.

I really hope the Madden Dev's take note of this... Its one of those little things that makes a huge impact on the fun factor. At least give us the "Option" to toggle this feature on/off. I guarantee this though...giving us the ability to engage in a battle for extra yards by quickly tapping a button will be a HUGE addition to making Madden much more exciting to play. Again...this was one of the BIG aspects that made running the ball in NFL2k so exhilarating..especially when the game was on the line and only a few yards were needed to win or extend the game...having to fight for those few extra yards was fun.

I guess the biggest reason why tapping the button quickly to break tackles made NFL2k so fun, is what i said, the "physical" requirement in quickly tapping the button to break out of tackles actually gives the user the sensation of having to physically fight for those extra yards.
While I strongly dislike being suctioned into a tackle animation that I know I can't break out of, for the most part this has been cleaned up. I find that lowering my shoulder allows me to truck the defender, or at least allows me to lean my back forward for extra yards. The quick time "tackle battle", which was silly and arcade-like in my opinion, has been removed for Madden 20 and is a welcome change for me.

Go into practice mode and work on juking, trucking, spinning, stiff-arming and hurdling. I do understand where you're coming from, but we do have plenty of ways to avoid defenders and push forward for a few extra yards already in the game. Peace.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #19
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Please don't add this ......
Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #20
Rookie

daze21's Arena

This was in like 2 Madden ago.. Press x loads to break the tackle.. Then they replaced it with the tackle battle which my muscle memory just starts pressing x for anyway.. Hated that addition will be v glad if it is indeed gone.
It should be based and trucking or agility with momentum
Old 07-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Yea, that's a hard pass for me.

So much agree with you...so happy Madden finally removed that stupid "hit-a-button. option to break a tackle in Madden 20!!!

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #22
Rookie

XxStew21xx's Arena

I've personally never really liked that feature.

Leave it up to the ratings and user stick skills to determine the outcome of a play.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #23
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

I can appreciate you hating it losing a feature you love, I have several I could list myself.

For me though, good riddance to tackle battles.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 AM   #24
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

What they actually need to do, and believe me, I don’t think this is happening any time, soon, but what they need to do is have the ability to branch out of tackles with specific button pushes or ‘stick jiggles’.

I’ve thought about this before, and I really think with their ‘esports’ approach of having balance and counters to things, they could really build something interesting with this.

I can envision multiple scenarios where u have, in essence, the tackle battle situation we have, now. U do something with the runner and the tackler hits u at a certain angle, and the game calculates a ‘tie’. At this point, depending on the angle of the tackle, the timing of a specific button push or ‘stick jiggle’ by either the offensive or defensive player should allow for a broken tackle or for the tackle to happen. This can happen from either the offensive player performing the wrong move based on the players’ positioning, or from pressing the ‘correct’ button push first.

As an example, let’s say you’re running forward with your RB and a LB hits u from the front right side and starts to wrap up. This results in a ‘tie’ for an instant, but if the player presses ‘A’ for stiff arm, he breaks the tackle, or if the D player presses ‘A’ for tackle, again, while wrapping up, he continues the tackle and wins.

Now, another example could be if the defender hits and starts to wrap from the right side, the RB broken tackle could happen from a juke left at this point. It wouldn’t be a ‘juke’, necessarily, but it would be an instinctive thing for a user to do, to quickly ‘jerk/juke’ his player away from the tackler. As for the defender, at this point, perhaps hit sticking left would ‘finish’ the tackle as that would, again, be a sort of instinctive thing for the user to do, pressing left on the hit stick towards the offensive player he’s tackling. This wouldn’t result in a ‘hit stick’ hard tackle, it would simply finish the tackle properly.

I think this could be a really cool way to add to broken tackles and add an extra layer of awareness on players. If it was implemented correctly, it could really create more dynamic scenarios on any given play.

I was not a fan of the tackle battle idea, although I understood the concept and partially agreed with the concept. But, I def didn’t agree with the implementation of a random button press for this. If they could make it a contextual awareness thing, and add that layer to tackling, I think it would really add something. And, again, I’m talking about specific angles and specific button pushes and stick jiggles performed quickly to take effect that would all have counters.

I could picture someone tackling from behind, and only being able to hold the ball carrier, but the ball carrier presses ‘up’ on the right stick to ‘truck’ or carry his momentum forward to break the tackle. Or, in this case, perhaps the O player has multiple options. Perhaps, a hurdle works here, if the D player is grabbing his legs as opposed to his waist. In fact, those could be different animations that u would have to see fleshed out in real time and make a snap decision as to how to escape the tackle.

A part of me wants to say they’re nowhere near this, lol. But, that may not be true. The fact that they had the tackle battles means they can ‘calculate’ when these happen, but they obviously would have to add a lot of logic in terms of tackle angles and whatnot. But, seriously, this is where we should be. Forget either hit sticking or wrapping. Now, when u want to wrap tackle, u better be ready to finish the tackle. And, as a RB, u should be ready to absorb that initial tackle contact, but if u see your player stay on his feet, instinctively push left, right, up, or stiff arm, hurdle, etc.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Lol. This really would be a cool addition and would be an evolution of the game that maybe should already be ‘in the game.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »