Home

Has regression been fixed in Madden 20???

This is a discussion on Has regression been fixed in Madden 20??? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #49
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Has regression been fixed in Madden 20???

I will say that the severe regression for the oldest QBs makes more sense within the context of the stretched ratings this year.

I signed an 80 rated Phillip Rivers at age 39, and he's still putting up numbers as good as any point in his career. (simming through games and weeks).
Old 07-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #50
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

coming to this thread after getting into nba 2k the last several months is so depressing. progression/regression is a polarizing issue that both sides can never agree on, and no sports game will ever get it perfect. so what does 2k do? they give you a million damn sliders so you can make the game play exactly how you want it to! not only is there a progression/regression sliders, but every attribute has its own slider for progression, and theres sliders for each stage of their career. Each player has a peak and growth period and it starts and ends at different ages. some guys peak early, others peak when their older. and this information is not available unless you go in and edit them, so it has that 'fog of war' element that a lot of people love, but if you want to know you can go ahead and look. not only is their progression/regression miles ahead of maddens silly XP minigame, but they give you the options to change it. madden gives you a lackluster feature and barely any way to change it. the contrast is immeasurable. 2k thinks about how to please all players by allowing them the options to make everything play out the way they see fit. if 2k20 plays like crap out of the box I won't even care that much cause I know with time I will make it into the perfect game. Madden never gets this. they always pick a side and upset half the people. then release patches during the year to move the needle closer to the middle. but never offering a way to make both sides happy. even with dividing the game into arcade/competitive/simulation they still do this. its so disappointing.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #51
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Looking forward to seeing more testing done in this area with more QBs. Brees and Big Ben could both retire after this season. Same with Rivers and
Eli and Brady. They could all dip at any time because theyre right at the end, so their regression should be pretty high.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #52
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
coming to this thread after getting into nba 2k the last several months is so depressing. progression/regression is a polarizing issue that both sides can never agree on, and no sports game will ever get it perfect. so what does 2k do? they give you a million damn sliders so you can make the game play exactly how you want it to! not only is there a progression/regression sliders, but every attribute has its own slider for progression, and theres sliders for each stage of their career. Each player has a peak and growth period and it starts and ends at different ages. some guys peak early, others peak when their older. and this information is not available unless you go in and edit them, so it has that 'fog of war' element that a lot of people love, but if you want to know you can go ahead and look. not only is their progression/regression miles ahead of maddens silly XP minigame, but they give you the options to change it. madden gives you a lackluster feature and barely any way to change it. the contrast is immeasurable. 2k thinks about how to please all players by allowing them the options to make everything play out the way they see fit. if 2k20 plays like crap out of the box I won't even care that much cause I know with time I will make it into the perfect game. Madden never gets this. they always pick a side and upset half the people. then release patches during the year to move the needle closer to the middle. but never offering a way to make both sides happy. even with dividing the game into arcade/competitive/simulation they still do this. its so disappointing.
Why can’t madden have nice things like this?

So it sucks that we have to do this but I will probably just take those qb’s and make them younger right before the season ends and then move their ages back up to start the season. This will buy them a bit more time as stars in the league. Wish the devs could get things to work under the hood like nba2k......

god damn imagine what NFL 2k20 on ps4 would be like?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #53
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Kill XP and overhaul progression.

Also stats =/= progression

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 07-26-2019, 01:50 AM   #54
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Doesn't make it a non issue. The amount of slack EA gets on their shoddy programming and design is laughable.
First up: your opinion is not automatically the correct one because it is your own, and no one who disagrees with you in favor of how Madden operates is an EA shill.

To the topic: per Pro Football Reference, there are 265 quarterback seasons logged by passers age 36 or older. Eli Manning's age 37 season - the 2018 season in which the Giants finished 5-11 - is tied for the 36th-best of these 265 seasons by Approximate Value (a catch-all metric which attempts to quantify a player's total contribution to a successful football team down to a single number). Of the other 35 top seasons, 12 of them were played by Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees.

There is extremely strong evidence that quarterbacks do decline as they advance into their later 30s. It is entirely possible that Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and to a lesser extent Philip Rivers are anomalies who are currently bucking this historic trend, and even then there are statistics- and analytics-backed arguments backing the idea that these guys aren't what they once were individually. We certainly know Peyton Manning declined individually as he aged due to accumulated injuries. Unfortunately for me because I'm a huge fan of his, and to address a question you posed earlier in the thread, it is entirely possible that we have already seen the best of Aaron Rodgers. I certainly think we have seen the best of Ben Roethlisberger and I don't think he belongs anywhere near the "elite" label right now, despite his eye-popping raw volume statistics from last season.

I'm going to guess in this case Tiburon chose to design their game based on what has been the historic rule rather than the exception. I do think there should be some ability in the game for players who post exceptional performances to resist regression - for example, maybe the game should halve or cancel regression for a player who wins MVP or NFC / AFC Offensive / Defensive Player Of The Year. I have no idea what happened with Aaron Rodgers in the simulation posted here.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-26-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:03 AM   #55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Kill XP and overhaul progression.

Also stats =/= progression
I agree with you but the casual madden fan does not understand this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #56
Rookie

DatsunDimer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I picked up 2k for the first time this year (I personally don't care for basketball) solely based on the good things I have read about their franchise mode. Honestly, the amount of customization was overwhelming at first. It is the only game I am playing right now. I get why 2k gets so much love, they just seem better at making sports games.

I also got NHL 19 to compare an EA Canada product to EA Tiburon just for Fog-of-War... I played that exclusively without ever going in-game. This again allows you to toggle options and has good amount of sliders. Will be buying both again this fall probably over Madden. Just look at the options EA Canada has implemented with their budget. https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nhl-19-a.html

Point being, everyone plays differently and games that cater more to every player are just better games to me. Madden feels like they want to force everyone down a narrow path because they allegedly cannot properly deal with their legacy coding. Regression is just another system that feels the same, less diverse compared to other games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »