Home

Madden's Running Game NEEDS To Have This Feature!

This is a discussion on Madden's Running Game NEEDS To Have This Feature! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 22
Icon4 Madden's Running Game NEEDS To Have This Feature!

So since i had posted this reply in the "Other Football Games" Sub-Forums. I felt the need to give it one more shot in the Madden Forums so that maybe someone can pass this on to Madden Dev's.

I've pressed this suggestion for many years hoping Madden Dev's would see the light and ..at least add it as an "Option" or toggle on/off feature.

Anyways..Im just gonna copy/paste my entire post from there in here, below...

Quote:
One of the reasons why NFL2k had such a fun and exciting running game is for one simple thing that Madden Developers have been unable to see and/or refuse to add...and that is this...With NFL2k when running the ball..you had to tap the button for speed bursts but most importantly..you had to also tap that button to break out of tackles, and man, it was implemented perfectly..you couldn't over use it in making the gameplay unfair or feeling too "arcadish".. it was well done and felt good. This is why running the ball in NFL2k was so fun and exciting to do...it made you feel like you earned those yards.

I am baffled sometimes that not many people mention this but if you NFL2k gamers/fans sit and think about what i am saying...you'll see what i mean. Running the ball in NFL2k never got old, it was always fun to run the ball in 2K when you had to quickly tap that "Break Tackle" button to break out of tackles. Or how running a sweep running play around the right or left side following a couple of your shifting linemen then suddenly finding that hole to slip through quickly by tapping that speed burst button to race through that hole before it closed up..only to find a DB coming at you with a hard tackle and you try and fight off that tackler by , once again..quickly tapping that button to break out of the tackle only to get brought down because at this point the break tackle button was much less effective at this point. NFL2k had the right formula for this implementation of this feature that gave this game a thrilling experience when running the rock.

Yep...I been harping on the Madden Dev's for many many years to put this into its Madden game but it fell on deaf ears, and I know they read my advice/suggestion because i pressed a few Game Changers a few times and sent a few messages to a couple of Madden developers and they just dont see it. Madden Dev's have implemented a few of my suggestions over the years, just a few small ideas i past onto them back during the 360/ps3 era but for what ever reason... They dont want to see how this small thing makes such a big difference in the feel and excitement of running the ball. All they have to do is at least add it into the game as an option. I know madden has the speed burst button but its implemented in a very lame way..by just pressing on the trigger or letter button and keep it pressed down..and that sucks, always has, and gives off a stale unexciting feel when running the ball, yes, it really does make the running feel less exciting, and i will say it again..I cannot understand why the dev's cannot see this. The way NFL2k had it is that you had to quickly press the break tackle button repeatedly ...same with how NFL2k has the speed burst button...you had to quickly press the button repeatedly ..and it worked to perfection..especially running through a small hole that was quickly closing..then it seamlessly turned into the break tackle function when you made contact with someone trying to tackle you. The player would slowly lose its break tackle/speed burst effectiveness as the game went on or even just in a long winded play where you break several tackles and used speed burst to get through a hole or to break away ..it was balanced well, it really was. And the on-screen meter showing you the effectiveness you have or have left was also well done for both breaking tackles and speed bursts/breaking away, it was really well done overall.

It really bothered me for years, and still does, that Madden refused to put this in... i mean, i know dang well that this feature really added a rewarding feeling and a "great" sensation of earning hard earned yards..It felt thrilling fighting for a few more yards when you got tied up with a defensive player or two and you had to keep pressing that button to push forward a few more yards for that first down or TD... This is what made running the rock in NFL2k so dang fun!
Do it Dev's... Just give it a shot as an option feature that can be toggled on/off..the more options for us, the better you cover a multitude of people that feels satisfied with the game they bought.

Last edited by Moegames; 07-29-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden's Running Game NEEDS To Have This Feature!

This has been brought up before and it's a polarizing topic. Those that played 2k and preferred it are generally in favor of the mechanic. Those who weren't 2k fans hate the idea. Madden will never blatantly model their game after 2k anyways with any mechanics. I liked the balance tapping added to the game forcing you to stop springring to do a move, but we are stuck with Madden's simple trigger sprint system.

I wish we had no sprint button and simply pressing the joystick forward 100% resulted in 100% exertion and you had to get better stick control to maneuver, but when EA tried their Auto Sprint in Madden and NCAA 10 years ago it wasn't well received either.

― Plato
Old 07-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Ewww. Pass

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 07-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Over the past year or so I've witnessed a strong push back against any control mechanics involving button mashing. For example, people with hand injuries, nerve damage, or arthritis can experience major difficulties playing games which require repeated fast button presses.

To that end, I'm not holding my breath for tap-to-sprint to show up in a game with as much widespread popularity as Madden. Madden already has enough hurdles for players with motor skill disabilities to clear to even get on the field.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
Pro

sinthros's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Over the past year or so I've witnessed a strong push back against any control mechanics involving button mashing. For example, people with hand injuries, nerve damage, or arthritis can experience major difficulties playing games which require repeated fast button presses.
This is very relevant and you can see games with advanced accessibility options (The Last Of Us II practically had an encyclopedia of options). With that said, I'd like to have this as an option at the very least because I think it would be cool, but I sincerely doubt that will happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

To that end, I'm not holding my breath for tap-to-sprint to show up in a game with as much widespread popularity as Madden. Madden already has enough hurdles for players with motor skill disabilities to clear to even get on the field.
Very well said.

I have a muscular condition myself and while it generally causes me few issues gaming-wise, games with QTEs that involve fast button mashing are challenging.

From a pure gamer's perspective; I don't feel that rapid, button mashing mechanics are value-added. They don't really require "skill" at all and for sports games, can actually be contradictory to the game's identity as an RPG.

As for the sprint mechanic, I'd rather it just be removed entirely (from all sports games really). It's actually quite easy to abuse (e.g. doing sprints parallel to the LOS that essentially 'break' pursuit or using it to sprint QBs outside the pocket on every....single....pass play).
Old 07-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:

Not to sound insensitive, but when Madden is implementing features, I don''t think they should be basing their implementation with a very small % of people in mind that have hand disabilities. They make up such a tiny proportion of the population, and probably an even smaller percentage of the gamer demographic that Madden should implement the feature how they see fit and have an accessibility option that allows for the feature to be automated, turned off, or even potentially performed differently.

That seems to be the standard around gaming these days. Devs are making features that have options to make their games more accessible for those with handicaps, but they don't design their games around that small percentage of people.

You are correct in that even those without any issues with their hands aren't dying for a mechanic like what OP is suggesting. I'm obviously a 2k fan who preferred 2k over Madden and I also preferred 2k's button tapping to that of Madden's button holding, and now trigger holding, but neither method is my preferred method as I noted in my earlier post. I would rather see turbo done away with completely and if you wanted to go 100% of your player's speed, then you'd push the stick all the way up. If you wanted to slow down, you'd simply push the stick up less than 100% depending on how much you wanted to slow down.

I'd honestly like to see ball carrier moves revamped completed. I think offensive players need their own strafe mechanic that the CPU utilizes. Running backs in real life, strafe or hop around behind the line before they find a lane to try and burst through, where as in Madden you and the CPU pretty much get the hand off and run in a direction and it makes cutting up-field or cutting back not work in the same manner as real life football.

And with WR's, how often in real life do we see WR's with the ball who catch it and turn around and sit there without taking off immediately. It's pretty often. Guys catch the ball, turn and dive for an extra yard or two, they catch it and turn upfield, but hesitate or try and figure out where to go as the defenders square up and try to limit where they can go. In Madden you catch the ball and turn up the field running automatically.

Screen passes in real life see WR's and even RB's that catch the ball, go slowly with their linemen at times, sometimes even strafing as well, allowing blocks to be set up before they start running up field. In Madden you see the WR's and RB's catch it and outrun their blocks more often than not... if the WR isn't forced to sit there for 10 seconds before being allowed to move.

With EA focusing on the authenticity in breaking down for open field tackles on defense, I would love to see them one day overhaul the ball carrying aspect of the game for the user and CPU so that breaking down was a part of the offensive repertoire as well so that Madden could get away with the full speed at all times, ping pong gameplay we see.

Even special teams play would benefit from this a lot. Look at how punt returns play out in real life. Guys catch the ball, the gunners and coverage team typically break down and sit in place trying to close lanes down to limit the return. The return man usually catches the ball, they may run a little at first, but they also break down and stay squared up letting blocks develop, they may run and get near some defenders who break down to close them off, but the ball carrier breaks down as well and tries to slip through the defenders, sometimes getting through, other times getting stopped right there.

What happens in Madden? Punt returner catches ball, defenders run full speed into punt returner to make tackle or punt returner catches it and immediately runs upfield, not allowing any blocks to be set up and they run into traffic full speed and that's the end of the play. It eliminates a huge part of the return game not being able to break down on offense and not seeing the defense break down in appropriate ways as well. EA is attempting to potentially fix half of that. If the offense could break down, and the CPU finally became an aware being that didn't run into traffic, zig zag like an idiot, and actually slowed down, set up blocks, bounced outside, etc. then the entire game of Madden would improve and we'd see special teams plays get some very much needed improvements simply because the on-field gameplay became more authentic.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 07-29-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Right when I saw the title I knew with 100% certainty what it would be about. Everyone else has already said why it won't and/or shouldn't happen, so I'll just add my own two big thumbs down on this idea.

Vision Cone has a better chance of coming back to Madden before this would be implemented, and yes Vision Cone is not good either.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »