Home

I was so excited about the new player editor, but YOU CAN'T USE IT in Franchise!@

This is a discussion on I was so excited about the new player editor, but YOU CAN'T USE IT in Franchise!@ within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: I was so excited about the new player editor, but YOU CAN'T USE IT in Franchise!@

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
Why shouldn’t the community ask the developers to add a feature to the game? As long as you are succinct and respectful....
Does the sentence "Get on twitter and spam them until they fix it" give you the impression that the OP is asking you to ask for anything respectfully ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #26
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: I was so excited about the new player editor, but YOU CAN'T USE IT in Franchise!@

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBULLY84
I can almost guarantee PC will see a roster editor that'll allow for full facial draft class modification very shortly after release. I don't think it's as hard as you want to believe it to be. But I do agree with the bolded part.
If it does come to exist - which, I would be mildly surprised if they did because I am currently assuming that the save data format for franchise player information beyond the QB1 player doesn't support it - it will most certainly only function exclusively for offline franchise.

Tiburon has to make the feature work both offline and online to even consider putting it in the game.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 0

Now that I think about it based on the bit of programming knowledge I do have. It's not feasible to think it'll be in this years title. They'd have to completely restructure the way the system IDs player identities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
If it does come to exist - which, I would be mildly surprised if they did because I am currently assuming that the save data format for franchise player information beyond the QB1 player doesn't support it - it will most certainly only function exclusively for offline franchise.

Tiburon has to make the feature work both offline and online to even consider putting it in the game.
Agreed.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #28
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
I'm gonna guess that more detailed player face editing outside of QB1 wasn't in scope for this cycle.

From a technical perspective it adds significant engineering complexity all over the game. Off the top of my head, stuff that would need to happen to support customized faces in Franchise mode beyond the one single always-user-controlled QB1 player:

- in-game graphics rendering must support customized faces for all 22 players at all levels of detail and still run at 60 FPS at all times

You'd have a point if the asset wasn't already there, but the game already does this with the new player editor. This would just be an extension of what is already there. It already does this with the Face of the Franchise player. 21 more players on the field isn't something that will every happen, and three or four more players isn't going to make a noticeable performance difference.

Quote:
- all generated rookie player data must now include all the new data for player face information

I don't think they do. A simple variable transformation should solve that problem.

And if you can't do that, the data is already there, and all that would need to be done is adjust the rookie generation to include the already present data.

Quote:

- edit player UI in franchise must support player face editing, edit player submit data must sync new data fields with server, server must support storing those new fields for a player database object

Could be done in a single title update if it becomes a priority.

Quote:
- if the game generates a portrait for customized player faces, those must be generated somewhere (either by the game at runtime, or Tiburon renders all permutations beforehand and stores them on-disk; I imagine they'd render at runtime)

It's no problem at all since they already do it with Face of the Franchise. If someone creates 22 players that are on the field simultaneously then MAYBE, maybe there might be a problem.

But you really don't know, and I don't really see how the hardware won't be able to handle it.

Quote:
- draft class generator must support building randomized faces for rookies that make sense and don't look like freak shows

I don't think it does. It can have the same ones now, and then if you choose to edit the face, do a variable transformation to the single generic starting face in Face of the Franchise. Then you can edit and save, or cancel and go back to the generic one.

Quote:

Obviously, Tiburon didn't build all those things, so they couldn't reasonably support custom faces for Franchise. It sucks, but that's game development. It's not as easy as "make the feature work here too".

It's a lot easier than you are making it out to be. You are making the absolute worst possible scenario assumptions, and being conservative like that is the best way to err on the side of caution, but as the asset is already there, the only real changes necessary are extending it, modifying the UI, and doing some variable transformations from the current random rookie assets to the generic Face of the Franchise starting point if anyone wants to edit the face.

This could be done if they put their backs into and did it. Something like this doesn't take a full development cycle to do. This could be done in two weeks, if that.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChase
Does the sentence "Get on twitter and spam them until they fix it" give you the impression that the OP is asking you to ask for anything respectfully ?
Did you see my suggested tweet on page two?

"Dear esteemed Madden developers, it has come to our attention that the wonderful player facial editor asset you made is only available to use in Face of the Franchise. As paying consumers, we find this unacceptable. Please extend it to all modes, including Franchise. Thank you."

I'm pissed. That doesn't mean I want you to be disrespectful. But spam? That means flood their twitter with requests for it so it gets done.

It doesn't have to be disrespectful. Just persistent.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #30
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
This could be done if they put their backs into and did it. Something like this doesn't take a full development cycle to do. This could be done in two weeks, if that.
I've never worked in AAA, admittedly, but my software engineer gut instinct is that your two week estimate is wildly optimistic. I don't think we should be assuming Tiburon's development timelines so aggressively.

Even assuming they can do it in two weeks if they dropped everything - I also don't think it's realistic for us to expect the development team to very abruptly pivot away from everything else they are doing for this one specific feature request. Bug fixes notwithstanding - and what we are discussing is not a bug, it's additional functionality which does not currently exist - the Madden engineers probably already have their next few months of feature work planned out. This isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Again, do ask for it. I want full face editing in the game too, the existing generic face pool for rookies desperately needs a refresh, and full face editing for all rookies would achieve that. But, again, please set yourself reasonable expectations.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
I've never worked in AAA, admittedly, but my software engineer gut instinct is that your two week estimate is wildly optimistic. I don't think we should be assuming Tiburon's development timelines so aggressively.

Even assuming they can do it in two weeks if they dropped everything - I also don't think it's realistic for us to expect the development team to very abruptly pivot away from everything else they are doing for this one specific feature request. Bug fixes notwithstanding - and what we are discussing is not a bug, it's additional functionality which does not currently exist - the Madden engineers probably already have their next few months of feature work planned out. This isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Again, do ask for it. I want full face editing in the game too, the existing generic face pool for rookies desperately needs a refresh, and full face editing for all rookies would achieve that. But, again, please set yourself reasonable expectations.
This would probably be a big undertaking, but probably half of the ground work is already there. And IF the community makes a big enough fuss, it'll probably get done.

However, I do admit that there may be much more significant problems with the game, so in that respect I may have jumped the gun. But I highly doubt it. From all indications, most of the game is very polished.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #32
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

I was so excited about the new player editor, but YOU CAN'T USE IT in Franchise!@

Lol, same. Jesus Christ EA. With the news on cpu teams not being effected with scenarios, this was the only other franchise change I was hopeful for. So as of now, I legit have no reason to stop playing M19 and buy M20. At the moment, there’s not enough to persuade me to get M20. The gameplay changes are decent but settle. But there’s basically no Franchise enhancements as far as I’m concerned. I really can’t believe they couldn’t even bring over the new facial custom options into the draft classes in Franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »