Home

Salary Cap Issues?

This is a discussion on Salary Cap Issues? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #17
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Salary Cap Issues?

I find it easiest to keep everything tracked in a spreadsheet. I have a spreadsheet for my whole team (playing as the Jaguars but relocated them to Dublin and became the Shamrocks because I wanted to do a complete rebuild) for up to 5 years of salary. For the Jaguars, their salaries were completely insane. I basically traded all the high salary people for draft picks, just so I could have some salary cap room for the next few years.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Question for the Salary cap experts

year 2 for me and jags are -$16m at the start of week 1, a lot of other teams are also negative. didnt think that was possible?
i went the tough love route, traded Dee + Kwon et al with ludicrous contracts prior to preseason 2, have 56m in penalties in 2020 but i have a way forward
Old 09-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Question for the Salary cap experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiphos
One of the ways I work around this issue, is to adjust their contracts manually. It only works for players who you know without a doubt, will stay their whole contract length.

Keep the contract total value the same, and bump up the ridiculously low guaranteed money that the computer originally set. This naturally spaced out the salary, but it’s dangerous. Hard to cut that player later, unless you edit it down later.

One other way I’ve found to “front load” contracts is for guys on their last year of rookie deal: when you sign them to a new contract, you can go to their contract and manually edit it. For some reason, changing anything at all (add a dollar to the overall money) spreads the contract out: the current year where they were making 500k, now bumps up to say 6-7 million, and most important, comes off your current year salary cap. Beware though, if you don’t have cap room on the current year....it will put you negative.

These things have helped me a lot, but cap issues are part of the NFL....gotta make tough choices and draft well, if you’re gonna do a 10-15 year franchise!
I do the same, at least in year one, at least to get rid of players I don't want in preseason and to get free agents for more than one year. You should be able to negotiate a 3-4 year deal with a free agent. I try to keep salaries realistic, and a WR that's 67 OVR wouldn't be making $2 mil a year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »