Home

QBs: The most frustrating thing...

This is a discussion on QBs: The most frustrating thing... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
QBs: The most frustrating thing...

For about the last 20 years, passing has largely been the same: Press square to throw to the left receiver; press circle to throw to the right receiver, etc etc etc. And for about 20 years, the only attributes for QBs that really matter is throwing power/accuracy and speed. It's time to change this, and here is how you change both:

Overall, the higher the QB's awareness rating is, the more we get these familiar controls; the lower the ratings are, they worse they are. For instance, if a QB has a "low" awareness, then maybe at presnap, the circle button throws to the RB and the triangle throws to the left receiver, or what ever. If his awareness is really low, then it changes regularly. And if it is REALLY low, then you don't even know which buttons throw where until the ball is snapped.

This idea was borrowed from the PS2 madden. There used to be 'mini camp
. I cannot find the video but there was a QB awareness drill where you had three receivers and you had to throw the ball to the correct receiver before getting 'sacked' but it really played with your eyes because you're used to the square button being the left receiver but now it is the right receiver.

EA would NEVER do this because it is something gamers would need to learn and gamers typically like what they are familar with
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: QBs: The most frustrating thing...

Well, I think people might have an issue with changing the controls based on a QB's ability but I think you're on the right track in that what separates a good or great quarterback from a bad one in real life isn't the same as in Madden.

It is my belief that pretty much ever QB who makes it to the NFL can pretty much make all the throws needed and accurately enough on a fairly consistent basis. It's the preparation, decision making, reading defenses, going through the progressions, poise under pressure in the pocket, knowing when to just take a sack or throw it away, and even their leadership skills that truly makes a great NFL quarterback--at least in the long term. Athletic ability will only get them so far.

In Madden however, the separation is mostly based on athletic ability. They will make lower rated quarterbacks completely miss wide open receivers 15 yards downfield or completely overthrow targets to demonstrate a poor QB.

Now, even though I said athletic ability will only get them so far, if you have a quarterback who is relatively unscouted with very little game film and knowledge on him, he can at least rely on that to succeed for a time before teams can create a defensive game plan to deal with him. It's his job to learn the other stuff to stay ahead of the curve and remain competent at a high level.

But you can't really have an unknown rookie step in and perform well in Madden like say Gardner Minshew did for the Jaguars last year for any length of time until EA updates the roster to bump up their ratings. They simply can not make the throws necessary to compete.

I don't really know what the solution to this issue is. I'm not a game designer. I just want EA to take a look at it and think about making changes to the current system they have in place to make it more realistic.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: QBs: The most frustrating thing...

How about making a QBs awarenesses directly impact preplay.

For instance, guys run the same play over and over and over, right?

Make it so if an opponent runs a play a second time a portion of that plays playart is revealed, scaled on awareness. Maybe below 80 nothing is revealed, 80-90 you get the safeties, 91-95 you get safety and linebackers and 96+ you get the entire play.

Kind of takes care of two problems, and for fairness you could give the same for the defense based on MLB (maybe safety) play rec.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »