Home

EA devs need to understand Franchise Mode......

This is a discussion on EA devs need to understand Franchise Mode...... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: EA devs need to understand Franchise Mode......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkill1sf
I have a number of created players spread out in the league and I don't play Madden as a player. I play it as a coach, so I do real time cpu vs cpu games to see how my team plays using my plays and scheme. I want the ability to spectate any game that is on the league schedule just to follow some of my created players or other big games.

Madden 20 is a damn good looking game with much improved animations which make it look realistic. I like setting up games and letting them run which also allows me to step away to take care of other things. At any time I can join the game and make important calls since I have it set to coach mode. I'm in my 40's and I no longer play any of my sports games (NBA, NHL, PES, and FIFA) by taking control of the team or a player. I actually play as a coach and see how the AI play out my strategy.

This allows me to "play" the game and do those "better" things in a timely manner. LOL
You said that much more eloquently than my to aborted attempts to respond.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
Hopefully they’ll have a shift in their philosophy soon and stop spending so many resources on back of the box features that get scrapped within a year or two like total control passing or long shot.

If they don't do 'back of the box features' and just adjust things under the hood many others would say "this is just a glorified roster update". They literally cannot win around here with whatever direction they go with this game.

The fact is, they need 'back of the box' features to sell the game to the millions of casual NFL fans out there. The people of OS are in the EXTREME minority of players with this game. 99% of NFL fans are going to look at a Madden commercial during their favorite teams game and say "Wow that looks awesome! Mahomes has a BAZOOKA!" and go buy the game. Meanwhile, the small few of you guys on OS that want realistic trades, a 100% correct salary cap and in-depth historical stats are basically just yelling at a wall because none of it is being heard by anyone who matters. You can't go on TV and say "Madden now has CORRECT HISTORICAL STATS" and expect anyone but about 750 people to care.

This is AAA sports video game philosophy now: Make a fun looking game that casual fans will enjoy and be able to lure them in with a flashy new 'back of the box' item. Then try and direct them into Ultimate Team (or MyPlayer in 2k and The Show) so they'll spend more money.

This is how it is now and it will never, ever change until people stop buying these games. There is no extra money to be made in Franchise mode. And as much as we like that mode, we are not a priority and not even close to being one. I know some of you guys think you're more important and your opinion has more weight because you come to OS and play "sim franchise", but in the eyes of EA you're not someone who they can get any extra money out of because you're going to buy the game no matter what and not going to spend any extra than the flat game price.

Last edited by BA2929; 07-30-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
If they don't do 'back of the box features' and just adjust things under the hood many others would say "this is just a glorified roster update". They literally cannot win around here with whatever direction they go with this game.

The fact is, they need 'back of the box' features to sell the game to the millions of casual NFL fans out there. The people of OS are in the EXTREME minority of players with this game. 99% of NFL fans are going to look at a Madden commercial during their favorite teams game and say "Wow that looks awesome! Mahomes has a BAZOOKA!" and go buy the game. Meanwhile, the small few of you guys on OS that want realistic trades, a 100% correct salary cap and in-depth historical stats are basically just yelling at a wall because none of it is being heard by anyone who matters. You can't go on TV and say "Madden now has CORRECT HISTORICAL STATS" and expect anyone but about 750 people to care.

This is AAA sports video game philosophy now: Make a fun looking game that casual fans will enjoy and be able to lure them in with a flashy new 'back of the box' item. Then try and direct them into Ultimate Team (or MyPlayer in 2k and The Show) so they'll spend more money.

This is how it is now and it will never, ever change until people stop buying these games. There is no extra money to be made in Franchise mode. And as much as we like that mode, we are not a priority and not even close to being one. I know some of you guys think you're more important and your opinion has more weight because you come to OS and play "sim franchise", but in the eyes of EA you're not someone who they can get any extra money out of because you're going to buy the game no matter what and not going to spend any extra than the flat game price.
I agree with you, but the truth of the matter is that Franchise mode mainly needs updated menus and player cards, proper use of editing draft classes, and subtle changes to the presentation if there is no commitment to making big changes. It makes ZERO sense to leave a mode like franchise virtually "untouched" for the last few games. We know where the focus is for those in charge at EA, but doing cosmetic changes to Franchise mode can go a long way.

I'm not going to pay full price for this game and I have other games in my library anyway that needs to be played. Improving the cutscenes and giving us proper celebrations for winning the conference title, SB MVP, and the Lombardi Trophy, can go a long way with making Madden 20 feel like a legit new game. Right now, it is entirely too close to Madden 19, except with improvements in gameplay. They splashed a little bit of paint, but they hid behind the Pro Bowl game as being the reason for other content being not done and it makes no damn sense. The Pro Bowl is fine, but the truth of the matter is that the real life game ISN'T really a game. It is a joke and it would have better if they simply simulated the game in Madden and we could check out the stats and see who got MVP.

Franchise needs so much more cosmetic work and it should take a page from NBA 2K19 MyLeague. That is what a Madden franchise mode should look like. That is how a Madden game needs to implement roster and draft class editing. They are spending less money in order to maximize profits and it is pretty obvious to see it. There have been too many Madden games that have passed where we have seen slight changes to significant game modes like Franchise.

Last edited by bugkill1sf; 07-30-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2019, 10:59 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

I understand the need for back of the box features, but when you create features for the sake of creating features and then abandon them it’s a waste of resources. I don’t think anyone bought the game for long shot.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I don’t think anyone bought the game for long shot.
That's exactly what I've been saying! They are giving us modes that we don't need. Madden doesn't need to be like FIFA. We don't need all the effort (and money) wasted on a mode that features celebrities and real life players in a career mode. Who asked for Longshot? Exactly, none of us. They should think of those other ideas after they have gotten the regular modes to a certain level. They have spent years stripping away things from Madden that made the game awesome. It is sad that NCAA 14, NFL 2K, and older Madden games are considered better football games than Madden. Madden has lost it's mind over graphics which has led to them dropping out more significant content for the game.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:08 AM   #14
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

I'm of the belief that EA has the resources to improve the game more than they do, they just choose not to.

Or, the NFL has created limitations on what can and can't be in the game. But I think this is less of a concern than EA's business model.

If half of the other sport games can have deeper, more immersive, non-monetized career modes, there's no reason why a game that sells as many copies, and generates as much additional revenue as Madden can't have a deep career mode.

It's not that EA can't. They just don't want to.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:48 AM   #15
Rookie

Heisman's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

I get what you’re saying, but I doubt a “casual” fan would even know who Pat Mahomes is. Madden has settings from rookie to all madden. If you know nothing about football then put it on rookie and learn from the tutorials. If you’re an experienced all madden player then don’t hold our hand because a “casual” fan is lost on what to do with the game.

Using this as an excuse why they can’t sell franchise and authenticity is stupid imo.
NHL - Los Angeles Kings
MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
EPL - Newcastle United
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkill1sf
I agree with you, but the truth of the matter is that Franchise mode mainly needs updated menus and player cards, proper use of editing draft classes, and subtle changes to the presentation if there is no commitment to making big changes. It makes ZERO sense to leave a mode like franchise virtually "untouched" for the last few games. We know where the focus is for those in charge at EA, but doing cosmetic changes to Franchise mode can go a long way.

I'm not going to pay full price for this game and I have other games in my library anyway that needs to be played. Improving the cutscenes and giving us proper celebrations for winning the conference title, SB MVP, and the Lombardi Trophy, can go a long way with making Madden 20 feel like a legit new game. Right now, it is entirely too close to Madden 19, except with improvements in gameplay. They splashed a little bit of paint, but they hid behind the Pro Bowl game as being the reason for other content being not done and it makes no damn sense. The Pro Bowl is fine, but the truth of the matter is that the real life game ISN'T really a game. It is a joke and it would have better if they simply simulated the game in Madden and we could check out the stats and see who got MVP.

Franchise needs so much more cosmetic work and it should take a page from NBA 2K19 MyLeague. That is what a Madden franchise mode should look like. That is how a Madden game needs to implement roster and draft class editing. They are spending less money in order to maximize profits and it is pretty obvious to see it. There have been too many Madden games that have passed where we have seen slight changes to significant game modes like Franchise.
This may sound crazy but I think in most cases lack of in-game information in CFM is due to there being bugs present. Little things like the lack of stats when viewing the yearly award races is crazy to me and I think it's not shown as they know the formula for calculating awards is likely broken.

But yes things such as keeping preexisting draft picks in place for fantasy drafts, lack of information on the fantasy draft screen when starting a CFM already has me shaking my head because it seems like such obvious small changes that would go a long way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »