Home

Do you guys like how they fixed linebackers?

This is a discussion on Do you guys like how they fixed linebackers? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2019, 10:37 PM   #9
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do you guys like how they fixed linebackers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I feel like they have nurfed them a little harder than they probably should have. The new trajectories alone could have been enough to open up actual pockets you could drop the ball in behind them, but they also made it to where anyone playing in a backer spot now has a 4 inch vertical. It's made passing over the middle a little too easy, but some of that also has to do with how soft the zone coverages are right now and with how buggy man coverage gets at times.

I feel like they didn't have to completely kill the LB's athleticism once they messed with the trajectories. In the mods on PC with '19, we were able to get the trajectories in a spot where it felt right and super LBs were gone because you and the CPU were able to drop one in over their heads. If the backer was athletic or in good enough position they could still disrupt the pass. Now in 20, the backers really stand no chance unless it is a pass they can catch on the ground or they get sucked into a 2-man animation.
I do agree with this, I have yet to play a star or superstar linebacker to see if I see differences but so far most linebacker are like non existent in the passing game, even for the user. I find it hard now to user a linebacker so I’m trying to get used to it.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:01 PM   #10
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Seeing some videos of people playing H2H, I actually don't think that they nerfed them enough for Users. People have become accustom to the ridiculous acceleration and agility that EA has traditionally given to User controlled defenders, so their expectations are out of wack, IMO. If you make a hard commitment and move in one direction, no person alive can stop and go the opposite direction as quickly as the Madden User controlled defenders still can.

With warping reduced to rarely happening now, the way that CPU defenders move is the limitations that the User should have as well. Fooling the offense with playcalling and playing disciplined assignment football should be what it is about and not super heroic Users roaming around.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:08 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Seeing some videos of people playing H2H, I actually don't think that they nerfed them enough for Users. People have become accustom to the ridiculous acceleration and agility that EA has traditionally given to User controlled defenders, so their expectations are out of wack, IMO. If you make a hard commitment and move in one direction, no person alive can stop and go the opposite direction as quickly as the Madden User controlled defenders still can.

With warping reduced to rarely happening now, the way that CPU defenders move is the limitations that the User should have as well. Fooling the offense with playcalling and playing disciplined assignment football should be what it is about and not super heroic Users roaming around.
I would love for momentum to play a bigger role in the locomotion system for the game. I do agree that players, both User and CPU controller, can stop and go the opposite direction too quickly, but mt biggest issue when I talk about athleticism and the LBs is it now seems like backers have nearly no vertical. The pass has to be one they can catch in stride or they don't get a hand on it anymore more. It's made passing over them a little too easy. Backers should still be able to get a hand on the ball if they play the passing lane, it's a bullet thrown low enough, and they react quickly enough to get up high enough to get a finger on the ball. I have yet to see a backer get off of the ground to touch a pass so far unless it is a canned 2-man animation.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2019, 11:42 PM   #12
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

I love it. I hope it stays in the game

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #13
MVP

The change is overall good, but there are some formations/concepts that are going to be very hard to guard this year without buffed teams.

KC has multiple offensive formations that line up 4 x 1 by default, and the verticals plays usually have two wheels going up the same seam and I haven't found too much in the way of stock defense that can stop those.

SEA has a smash play out of an empty set that has two nice seam verts paired with two really nice quick in routes and your TE goes vertical and then hooks at like 15 yards. The routes space the field so well that I'm pretty sure user defense is required to stop a stock play.

Users can still run pretty well, but they can't get catches anywhere near as reliably. After being able to spam Y for M19 I'm thinking more swats is actually going to be the better play. If you spam Y you *might* get more than your share of INTs, but you are definitely giving up some unnecessary completions, and probably some big ones.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsfan24
I know this was a big issue in previous maddens and they definitely seemed to nerf linebackers in this years madden, hell its hard to even user them sometimes. But I do like that you can somewhat throw the ball without crazy linebackers making plays on it

What do you guys think?
I looked at this coverage change taking into consideration that, not only were LB's underneath toned-down regarding their ability to leap as much in order to play the ball, the ball trajectories are vastly improved as well.

There have been times when playing Tampa 2 that I was unable to swat down a pass and felt cheated. However, when I went back and closely reviewed the replay, it was perfect ball placement and the play result was correct. I usually control my RE at the snap and switch when the ball is in the air to make the play. The only thing I would like to see very carefully tuned is for the response time to be a bit quicker when user input is applied. I have noticed instances whereas I had position and held swat button and had the animation delayed somewhat. Perhaps I need to switch more quickly and improve my user skills here, which may be a factor.

What I love is the fact that, when switching to a safety, I have time to make a break on the ball to get into position to make a play, as a result of the reduced passed ball speed. That is working well for me and I don't feel my user input is in any way delayed. I would like that feel when I switch to a LB, without being able to unrealistically leap and break up a ball that I wasn't in position for.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #15
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

Love it. No more super linebackers. Sometimes I have to remind myself I can throw that pass now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

If the user cannot improve upon the CPU's performance then there is literally no reason to user. It's actually a huge net negative, no matter your skill, because you always have a non-zero chance of error.

This would turn the entire game into coach mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »