Home

Pre-Snap DB Shading Adjustments in Man Coverage

This is a discussion on Pre-Snap DB Shading Adjustments in Man Coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2019, 01:39 AM   #25
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Pre-Snap DB Shading Adjustments in Man Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
FWIW, shading seems to do very little imo.

This is something I posted earlier. This is an “Inside shade” by the DB.

The WR ran a simple slant and the DB let him run right across his face before trailing 2 yards behind him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you try shading underneath as well?

I've noticed improvement in the coverage of slants when doing that. They'll still get beat if the QB holds the ball and the WR keeps crossing the field, but they get a better jump if the QB throws it on time.

This thread has been a god-send. My pass coverage has greatly improved and has opened up the playbook on defense for me. I feel a lot more comfortable blitzing now that I have an idea of how to cover the holes with my DBs that are generated by the blitz. Thank you so much for sharing this info.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
FWIW, shading seems to do very little imo.

This is something I posted earlier. This is an “Inside shade” by the DB.

The WR ran a simple slant and the DB let him run right across his face before trailing 2 yards behind him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you had read thru my findings, I pointed out that off coverage shading, as you've shown here, is over-exaggerated. You already have a much-needed post discussing off-man and zone coverage issues.

The main purpose of this post is to try help folks understand how to use press man coverages and leverages as effectively as possible. Saying that leverages don't work in any circumstance is flat out untrue and misleading information.

I suggest you go back and read my initial post, or at least just the first sentence, thoroughly. Test them for yourself. I hope it helps you out. Peace.

Last edited by edgevoice; 08-08-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Did you try shading underneath as well?

I've noticed improvement in the coverage of slants when doing that. They'll still get beat if the QB holds the ball and the WR keeps crossing the field, but they get a better jump if the QB throws it on time.

This thread has been a god-send. My pass coverage has greatly improved and has opened up the playbook on defense for me. I feel a lot more comfortable blitzing now that I have an idea of how to cover the holes with my DBs that are generated by the blitz. Thank you so much for sharing this info.
I appreciate your comments and I am glad it helped you out.

In the picture illustrated, the DB is obviously playing off-man. The main crux of my post was to show how leverages can be effective in man press and blitz situations.

I do not advocate calling a base man coverage which has your DB's in off coverage. Coach already has a thread going on showing problems with those plays, so there is no need to further address that here.

The only time I play off-man coverage is in certain situations, such as 3rd & long, when I am sending heat and playing inside and over leverage. In that instance, I will happily give up a quick slant and force the offense off the field. Against a burner receiver, I would not play off at all, nor would I play off backed up near the endzone.... Peace.

Last edited by edgevoice; 08-08-2019 at 01:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »