Home

Is Superstar X Factor abilities basically "Weapons" from Madden 08?

This is a discussion on Is Superstar X Factor abilities basically "Weapons" from Madden 08? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Description of Weapons from Madden 08 from the back cover: Weapons are the arguably biggest new feature in Madden 08. Weapons are little logos and attributes given to superstar players that represent a given specialty a player has in a given area. They serve not only as labels and warnings, but also as a special "power"; for instance, a Speed Back is much faster than the average back and give them special abilities.

This is not a knock on them bringing it back, or is superstar Factor X abilities more in depth than Weapons used to be?

I think it's great these things come back, but let's try to keep them in the game in the first place!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Is Superstar X Factor abilities basically "Weapons" from Madden 08?

The abilities play more like being in the zone in ncaa 2006
Old 08-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

M20 Superstar X-Factor isn’t M08 Weapons.

The key differences:

- Superstar abilities and Zone abilities are distinct from and supersede ratings. If a player has an ability and matches up with a player who doesn’t have the corresponding counter ability, the player with the ability always wins. Example: the Enforcer ability always Hit Stick tackling any non-ability ballcarrier. Weapons, on the other hand, were visual representations of high player ratings. The game was balanced to make the higher rating have a greater chance to win, but it still handled all interactions with ratings dice rolls.

- X-Factor players also receive unique presentation animation packages and are the focus of the in-game presentation director; they generally appear in more pre- and post-play presentation elements than non-X-Factor players. The most that M08 dove into this was the team intro sequence at the start of a game, otherwise presentation for Weapons players was identical to any other player.

- with the exception of the “Smart” Weapons which charged up over time based on the player’s AWR rating, Weapons added no new functionality to gameplay; they were again just visual representations of high ratings. Superstar and Zone Abilities include animation support to make players possessing those abilities obviously visually distinct from those who don’t.

- there is no equivalent in the M08 Weapons system to X-Factor Zone abilities in M20.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

Icon14 Re: Is Superstar X Factor abilities basically "Weapons" from Madden 08?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
M20 Superstar X-Factor isn’t M08 Weapons.

The key differences:

- Superstar abilities and Zone abilities are distinct from and supersede ratings. If a player has an ability and matches up with a player who doesn’t have the corresponding counter ability, the player with the ability always wins. Example: the Enforcer ability always Hit Stick tackling any non-ability ballcarrier. Weapons, on the other hand, were visual representations of high player ratings. The game was balanced to make the higher rating have a greater chance to win, but it still handled all interactions with ratings dice rolls.

- X-Factor players also receive unique presentation animation packages and are the focus of the in-game presentation director; they generally appear in more pre- and post-play presentation elements than non-X-Factor players. The most that M08 dove into this was the team intro sequence at the start of a game, otherwise presentation for Weapons players was identical to any other player.

- with the exception of the “Smart” Weapons which charged up over time based on the player’s AWR rating, Weapons added no new functionality to gameplay; they were again just visual representations of high ratings. Superstar and Zone Abilities include animation support to make players possessing those abilities obviously visually distinct from those who don’t.

- there is no equivalent in the M08 Weapons system to X-Factor Zone abilities in M20.
definitely seems more indepth!
Old 08-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

What I wanna know is, if they're going to keep this feature in going forward, or will it disappear next year and just be a one time feature

I wouldnt mind them fine tuning the feature and building on it for future years. I like the idea

Before, almost every game felt the same. This year it adds a little more. More gameplaning goes into it. When I see a QB or WR get into the zone, it forces me to make decisions

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

I agree. I played as the Bucs against the 49ers last night and Richard Sherman matched up against Mike Evans. I hard a hard time getting him loose. Eventually I went to the depth chart and moved Evans to the 2 slot - and Sherman followed him to the right side of the formation, which was maddening....and very cool. I was curious to see if the game reacted and it did.

I was able to do some things to get Evans away from Sherman some but I had to be aware where he was, which I've never had to do before.

Teams now feel different and have an identity, something that has never been there.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
Rookie

Kingd803's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
I agree. I played as the Bucs against the 49ers last night and Richard Sherman matched up against Mike Evans. I hard a hard time getting him loose. Eventually I went to the depth chart and moved Evans to the 2 slot - and Sherman followed him to the right side of the formation, which was maddening....and very cool. I was curious to see if the game reacted and it did.

I was able to do some things to get Evans away from Sherman some but I had to be aware where he was, which I've never had to do before.

Teams now feel different and have an identity, something that has never been there.
I have to agree with this. A X factor CB will make you pay. Big time. First time in madden I’ve ever dealt like I was playing against a true shut down corner. Like I won’t even look to that side of the field anymore.

But I wonder why this couldn’t have been done with just ratings? But that really doesn’t matter. I actually prefer a badge system like 2k does anyway. And this is pretty close to that. Hope they expand on it
Old 08-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0

I too disregarded an X factor CB(I believe on the Browns?) and ended up throwing three picks . So next game against the Pats I didn't even look Gilmore's way as he's an x factor. I did throw one pick to McCourty but it was late in the game and I was trying to come back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »