Home

Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

This is a discussion on Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #25
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
"Regardless, my point stands; if NPD is reporting Madden selling more copies than almost every game in America, it's very obviously still a popular video game and not at all declining, regardless how many units are moving during the launch window."

That is just bad logic. You are better than that.
Oh come the hell on, this is insanity.

The entirety of my "bad logic" argument is that Madden sells lots of copies and further sells more copies than the overwhelming majority of console video games in the United States, as indicated by NPD. In doing so, Madden demonstrates that it is a popular video game and not a declining video game.

That's it! No part of that argument is bad logic. People aren't buying Madden out of spite.

I know you all really want to cheerlead the demise of this series for whatever reason, but it just. isn't. happening.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #26
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

OVR: 5

NPD isn’t going to be able to track people playing Madden through EA Access and Origin Premium.

Something to keep in mind moving forward.

Also, let’s nip this “declining sales” narrative in the bud. Several articles worth reading about M19 having the best Madden launch since M13

https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/18/a...ince-2013/amp/

Interestingly that article notes that NPD did not track digital PC sales of Madden last year. I would imagine that’s a significant chunk of sales not accounted for.

https://fortune.com/2018/09/19/madde...six-years/amp/

“Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL 19 was the bestselling game in August and posted its highest launch month sales in six years, according to The NPD Group.”
Old 08-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #27
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0

Madden is only popular nowadays because of MUT which is, dare I say, probably the best of the online sports series. Maybe tied with 2K. Mostly due to the chokehold on the market.

Just look at YouTube. Most Madden YouTubers, and most of the popular ones, are MUT guys and gals. Comparing the communities, it’s like a Conglomerate against a small town Rotary club.

MUT gets much more exposure and thus more buy Madden for MUT.

Us franchise guys get left in the dirt. That’s why it took them what? Half a decade to include a friggin playable Pro-Bowl?

It won’t be long before EA realizes they can just cut franchise out and sell it as paid DLC for more money, and no that is not a joke, I can seriously see them doing that.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #28
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm
NPD isn’t going to be able to track people playing Madden through EA Access and Origin Premium.

Something to keep in mind moving forward.

Also, let’s nip this “declining sales” narrative in the bud. Several articles worth reading about M19 having the best Madden launch
Sales isn’t an indicator of how good a game is. If there’s one thing we should ALL know about the game industry is that gamers are suckers for hype and “Pre-Release footage”

Fallout 76
No Man’s Sky (later fixed)
Watch Dogs (later fixed, I think)
Total War: Rome II (later fixed)
H1Z1
DayZ Stand-alone

Just to name a few off the head that had excellent sales numbers at launch but were absolutely horrible games.

I find Steam reviews to be quite reliable on how good a game is and I’d be curious to see the reviews if the game were to be sold on Steam.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
As much as I loved 2K back in the day, people really need to realize that a new 2K game is not walking through that door. Madden is a good, dare I say, great game and folks still carrying that flag should just play those old games and let the rest of the sports gaming community move on in peace! Just my $0.02 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, but be careful what you wish for. For instance, I was one of the people that preferred 2K over Madden (2004, 2005, 2008 editions). But I rolled right back over to Madden (and NCAA) when 2K was gone. I still own and enjoy Madden 09 (Collector's Edition). And although it was not as good as 2K8 between the lines (IMO), it was still a very well put together and complete package. And not nearly the bugs and glitches of Madden 20. Madden 09 was a good game for its time, including its quality control.

Now more than a decade later, I've moved on and all of my football gaming attention is squarely on Madden...everything it does well will be highlighted, and everything it does poorly will be highlighted. As the sole NFL licensed game, it is under a much more highly magnified microscope than ever: the good, the bad and the ugly.

And in the year 2020 (coming soon), having some of these bugs and glitches related to AI clock management, blocking, QB play, warping and clipping, etc. is going to increasingly draw more criticism than ever. I keep saying, if Madden was just "quality controlled" when it shipped much of the criticism would be abated. Of course there would still be those complaining about Franchise Mode, Simmed Stats, Living Worlds, lack of attention to details, missing/removed features, etc., but the volume of criticism would me much lower if the game was just quality controlled.

Forget about 2K, I agree. This is about Madden. Only NFL game in town. All eyes on Tiburon.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #30
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
Sales isn’t an indicator of how good a game is. If there’s one thing we should ALL know about the game industry is that gamers are suckers for hype and “Pre-Release footage”

Fallout 76
No Man’s Sky (later fixed)
Watch Dogs (later fixed, I think)
Total War: Rome II (later fixed)
H1Z1
DayZ Stand-alone

Just to name a few off the head that had excellent sales numbers at launch but were absolutely horrible games.

I find Steam reviews to be quite reliable on how good a game is and I’d be curious to see the reviews if the game were to be sold on Steam.
Please point to where I said sales are indicative of quality.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #31
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Ink, you make some great points, but I disagree with Madden 09.

Madden 06-09 was some of the darkest period of Madden for me for gameplay alone.

Madden 09 had a freezing element to it and I just get past the terrible gameplay issues.

That's where it comes to "To Each Their Own" and respecting each other's opinion. (shout out my man edaddy!)

I think some of those those glitches you allude to will be addressed in 20, heck, the game hasn't been out barely a week, yet.

Last edited by roadman; 08-12-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #32
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Oh come the hell on, this is insanity.

The entirety of my "bad logic" argument is that Madden sells lots of copies and further sells more copies than the overwhelming majority of console video games in the United States, as indicated by NPD. In doing so, Madden demonstrates that it is a popular video game and not a declining video game.

That's it! No part of that argument is bad logic. People aren't buying Madden out of spite.

I know you all really want to cheerlead the demise of this series for whatever reason, but it just. isn't. happening.
The logical error is forgetting that, so long as the price doesn't exceed the upper bounds that the video market would normally bear by too much, Madden's only competition is previous Maddens. As such, it's unlikely that Madden will ever drop much in popularity. The NFL is far too popular in this nation for that to happen.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »