Home

Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

This is a discussion on Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #41
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
So you stopped reading at the second sentence in his review and then went on to try and discredit him? SMH
Well when the second (or really it’s the third sentence) blatantly promotes false sales figures, do you not think the “review” as a whole is worth scrutiny?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #42
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I promise you if Madden sold a football game without an NFL and NFLPA license, and some new game called "NFL Simulator" sold a football game with an NFL license and NFLPA license to compete with them, Madden's brand recognition will save them for one year only. Once users, even MUT users, see that their favorite players and teams are gone, they'll all flock to the other game. They want to play as Mr. Big Chest, not Genero Generic.
Big if you are playing with there..............

My point was the Madden brand has been built up within the last 30 years without what if's entering into the scenario's(pun intended) even before the license was contracted out to EA.

What if's don't enter into what my statement portrayed to fit into other's narratives.

Last edited by roadman; 08-12-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #43
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm
Well when the second (or really it’s the third sentence) blatantly promotes false sales figures, do you not think the “review” as a whole is worth scrutiny?
It could just be a simple oversight. The rest of the review seemed to be pretty accurate and didn’t peddle anything absurd.

I think you’d be doing yourself a disservice to just write off the entire review after the second sentence.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #44
Banned

Quote:

This was the "third" sentence.

"In recent years, the player base and release day excitement surrounding the series has diminished with first-week retail sales of "Madden NFL 19" cut in half from where they were with "Madden NFL 13."

I'm not sure any of it was debunked (maybe part of it was, I didn't do enough research to tell). The last part about being cut in half might be inaccurate. I don't know. Hooe made a statement about some NPD? site not counting digital sales and he had to admit he was wrong about that.

I think Hooe's point is/was that madden being #4 (or whatever) in the sales charts means it is not loosing popularity. That's not an accurate way to tell. It could stay in the same position on the charts while still selling fewer units. If unit sales go down, that means it's less popular.

I'm not sure how you can stop at this sentence saying the review lost credibility before even reading it.

Me thinks that those discrediting the review w/o even reading it because they don't want to read anything negative about Madden are even more blatantly extremely militantly biased, and probably not worth paying attention too. Again, smh at stopping at the "third" sentence and then trying to discredit the review.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #45
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
It could just be a simple oversight. The rest of the review seemed to be pretty accurate and didn’t peddle anything absurd.

I think you’d be doing yourself a disservice to just write off the entire review after the second sentence.
Pardon me for not letting journalism outlets off the hook for oversights.

They should know better, and you should hold them accountable.

Legitimate complaints are devalued when paired with fake news.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #46
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
This was the "third" sentence.

"In recent years, the player base and release day excitement surrounding the series has diminished with first-week retail sales of "Madden NFL 19" cut in half from where they were with "Madden NFL 13."

I'm not sure any of it was debunked (maybe part of it was, I didn't do enough research to tell). The last part about being cut in half might be inaccurate. I don't know. Hooe made a statement about some NPD? site not counting digital sales and he had to admit he was wrong about that.
I provided the evidence a few pages back. M19 had the best Madden launch since M13 per NPD. And that’s taking into account the fact that NPD didn’t track digital PC game sales (I don’t believe M19 had a physical PC release but I could be wrong) and NPD can not track people playing Madden through subscription services because those aren’t sales.

Facts.

Last edited by TheOncomingStorm; 08-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 19
Icon10 Re: Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

I was given a warning by OS for stating the same thing in this article.
I want my strike, warning, or demerit rescinded...lol
Old 08-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #48
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Pardon me for not letting journalism outlets off the hook for oversights.

They should know better, and you should hold them accountable.

Legitimate complaints are devalued when paired with fake news.
You can hold them accountable without discrediting an entire piece for one inaccuracy.

This isn’t headline news, it’s an opinionated review of a video game from a not primary tech source.

I read USA Today regularly and the opinion section is riddled with inaccuracies and oversights (that they don’t correct).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »