Home

Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

This is a discussion on Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #49
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
You can hold them accountable without discrediting an entire piece for one inaccuracy.

This isn’t headline news, it’s an opinionated review of a video game from a not primary tech source.

I read USA Today regularly and the opinion section is riddled with inaccuracies and oversights (that they don’t correct).

Then stop reading USA Today. If you think it’s inaccurate and you keep giving it your business, nothing changes.

Critical thinking is rolling in its grave.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm
I provided the evidence a few pages back. M19 had the best Madden launch since M13 per NPD. And that’s taking into account the fact that NPD didn’t track digital PC game sales (I don’t believe M19 had a physical PC release but I could be wrong) and NPD can not track people playing Madden through subscription services because those aren’t sales.

Facts.
The end of his sentence did say since Madden 13. I went back and looked at your post and it said best launch SINCE madden 13.

Anybody know the launch sales numbers of Madden 13 and Madden 20?
Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I stopped reading right here. Let's add some context around this, shall we?

First up, the game isn't declining in popularity. That's just a white lie based on bad data. Madden NFL 19 was the fourth-best selling game in the United States in 2018 per NPD. Second, we are all well-aware that reported sales figures of video games haven't included digital copies for years. NPD has ways of tracking those, but those numbers are held privately. We further know that digital sales now account for about half of console video game purchases.

To add further context to any apparent drop in release-date sales figures, Madden NFL 19 (and M20) released well before the NFL regular season started, unlike Madden NFL 13 (and basically every Madden up through M18 inclusive) which released at the end of August when hype for the NFL season was at a more fever pitch. Even if we take the declining launch window sales at face value, given that we know Madden still sold like hot pancakes based on NPD's reporting, it is reasonable to argue that Madden's launch window is not as important to its sales as it is to other video games and thus not indicative of the game's popularity.

From this alone, it's my opinion that this writer is clearly cherry-picking facts to support a conclusion he reached well before he put the game in the console. He wants to paint a picture that the game is declining in popularity and quality based on misleading facts and his own apparent bitterness. To be fair, that's his right - a review is an opinion piece - but I similarly have the right to criticize his opinion and dismiss his words in turn. I don't care to read anything past that first couple lines.

Side-note: what is it with specifically the Madden community and the cheerleading of negative reviews which dunk on the game? Like, why should that make any of us happen?
you literally say "i stopped reading" for every single negative review. have some objectivity. its okay to admit that this game is no different than 19 and that every single one of its added features do not work. if we could get actual objective reviews from sites like this, we might actually get a game worth a crap. ive played every single madden religiously since 1992 sega. i buy early every year and am so hopeful and excited. the last 3 or 4 years ive been "meh" over this game in weeks. pop in madden 19 tonight, start a franchise. play 3 years and tell me if there is any difference in this game. the only noticeable difference is linebackers dont swat passes over the middle and theres at least 3 fumbles per quarter. start holding ea accountable. you claim you hate these biased articles when you are the one who jumps into these articles with a clear bias that you will not listen to any criticism whatsoever.

ill ask you 1 question. name me 1 of the new madden features that works properly right now. 1. name. me. 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #52
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Then stop reading USA Today. If you think it’s inaccurate and you keep giving it your business, nothing changes.

Critical thinking is rolling in its grave.
That’s why I don’t read the opinion pages. Opinion pages are always going to be riddled with inaccuracies because people tend to bend facts to meet the goal of their idea.

However, it is important to read an entire piece before placing judgement and accuracy on it. Yes, one inaccuracy does devalue the piece but it does not make it completely worthless.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #53
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by utfellar
you literally say "i stopped reading" for every single negative review. have some objectivity. its okay to admit that this game is no different than 19 and that every single one of its added features do not work. if we could get actual objective reviews from sites like this, we might actually get a game worth a crap. ive played every single madden religiously since 1992 sega. i buy early every year and am so hopeful and excited. the last 3 or 4 years ive been "meh" over this game in weeks. pop in madden 19 tonight, start a franchise. play 3 years and tell me if there is any difference in this game. the only noticeable difference is linebackers dont swat passes over the middle and theres at least 3 fumbles per quarter. start holding ea accountable. you claim you hate these biased articles when you are the one who jumps into these articles with a clear bias that you will not listen to any criticism whatsoever.

ill ask you 1 question. name me 1 of the new madden features that works properly right now. 1. name. me. 1.
Features that work properly:
RPOs
College Football Playoffs
The structure of the Scrnario Engine (and some but not all of the introductory scenarios)
Ratings spread
Updated contracts in Franchise
Passing animations.

I can keep going. That’s just off the top of my head.

If you think M20 is exactly the same game as M19, you should see a doctor.

And the OperationSports review series for M20 is probably the most objective and detailed I havevseen.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #54
Banned

Quote:
RPOs
The structure of the Scrnario Engine (and some but not all of the introductory scenarios)
Ratings spread
Passing animations.

And the OperationSports review series for M20 is probably the most objective and detailed I havevseen.
RPOs
Updated playbooks.

Just a teaser

I don't see this as a significant improvement. It's a pretty minor enhancement.

Ratings spread
This is just data being changed. Not really an enhancement.

Again, more data changes. Was there any real enhancements to contracts?

Passing animations.
A nice visual change, but not really an enhancement.

You can say that RPO's changes plays you call. But in my opinion, none of what you mentioned are significant game enhancements.

That Superstar mode is an enhancement, but it's an enhancement that was already in a previous Madden that was removed. Same with the Pro Bowl.

Are you and Hooe roommates?

I don't need a Dr. to see that the biggest difference between M19 and M20 is even worse pass defense and crazy number of fumbles. If pass defense were any good, I might even enjoy M20. I have it on the PC. If I spent the time to figure out how to install what those god like PC modders have done, I might enjoy the game.

I wasn't going to get M20, but it was free because I had some Origin Premier from last year. Except for even worse pass defense, it's not THAT different.

Last edited by bucky60; 08-12-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #55
Pro

sinthros's Arena

Quote:
RPOs
Ratings spread
Passing animations.

They work (mostly) but most of these new features are shallow, like the scenario engine. It's really really REALLY basic, let's just call it what it is.
I like the ratings spread, but it isn't perfect, not yet.
The contracts are better.
I don't really care about the college football playoffs. Face of the franchise isn't an in depth mode. It's a narrative thing for like one hour and then it's just like being a player in CFM. Let's be fair.

And if we're talking about things that DON'T function as intended... Oof. It'll be a long post.
Just to name the biggest one off the top of my head, pass coverage. What a mess right now.

Last edited by sinthros; 08-12-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #56
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by utfellar

I hear ya my man..There are about 8 posters who constantly hijack any thread that gives a negative or unfavorable review of Madden whether the review is legit or not...These are also the same posters who magically praise madden every year,find nothing wrong with Madden every year,. will question your agenda, and why you dont like Madden, and state the its' "the best Madden ever"..mantra...Likewise there are another 8 who constantly have negative things to say about Madden year after year and yet magically jump on the beta, buy the game despite knowing its flaws then complain about buying the game.. Both are equally as ridiculous and biased and you are right don't bring anything to the table to produce a product that should improve every year...I learned along time ago just ignore either from each side..there are plenty of objective nuetral posters who will call it like they see it good or bad...but I hear your frustration ..Funny I have lived around gangs my whole life and and I aint never seen this much loyalty especially for a videogame..

Last edited by edaddy; 08-12-2019 at 03:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »