Home

It's time to scrap the current defensive depth chart

This is a discussion on It's time to scrap the current defensive depth chart within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: It's time to scrap the current defensive depth chart

I'd settle with having a different depth chart position for the two DTs in a 4-3 or maybe a designation by gap for the down linemen in a 3-4. I'd love to see a NT actually line up where he's supposed to as opposed to where he's at on the depth chart and vice-versa.

Whether or not we rename the backers in a 3-4 doesn't much matter to me, but it would be cool to see.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
unfortunately as mentioned above, this is too complicated for many casuals that play Madden. A vast amount of people just want to quickly place their best players in easily. I wouldn’t ever expect this even though I think it would be a good change.
You hit it in the nose. These are complicated football concepts that 12 yo playing the game don't care about. Madden literally just implemented the same badge system that makes 2k play like nba jams. It's not designed to be a true to life football simulation. We will never get what we are looking for from EA. Heck I haven't found a text based PC football game that can do all that yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Honestly even decently knowledgeable football fans don't know the terminology you mentioned. There is just a huge knowledge gap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #12
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Honestly even decently knowledgeable football fans don't know the terminology you mentioned. There is just a huge knowledge gap.
You are probably right that there is a sizable knowledge gap.

At the same time, many people - not only people who are just fans like myself but also actual real-world quarterbacks - point to Madden as a football teaching tool. More detail is not too much of an ask, IMO.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I think they could do it, but they need tools to teach people. It could be a pop-up in the roster and depth chart screens. It could say something like “The 1-tech plays over the shoulder of the center. His role is to take up space in the middle and is typically filled by players with the ‘run stopper’ archetype “.

Advanced players will know the position specific ratings needed while more casual players can go “Oh, I put my run stopper here”.

Education is key....

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Yea but we're talking about a company that implemented route matching zone coverages without really educating anyone. Luckily there were some good YouTube videos out there but for the people that didn't know where to look they just ended up confused when they user a certain player and play it like a spot drop zone coverage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
Rookie

It would be great if they could categorise the front seven by: interior linemen; edge rushers; and interior backers. How these scheme for 3-4 or 4-3 could be set by the archetypes/roles currently in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
Rookie

I feel like they could probably do something where you can pick between a basic depth which would be what they already have and an advanced depth chart which allows things you guys are talking about.

It would allow people that casually play to not be overwhelmed by all of this. Then have some sort of video series on positions in the advanced depth chart to help people learn if they want to.

The issue I would see from that is H2H online play because more than likely, the advanced depth chart players would have an advantage but maybe you could toggle to only play people with basic if thats the case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #16
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodles2you90
I feel like they could probably do something where you can pick between a basic depth which would be what they already have and an advanced depth chart which allows things you guys are talking about.

It would allow people that casually play to not be overwhelmed by all of this. Then have some sort of video series on positions in the advanced depth chart to help people learn if they want to.

The issue I would see from that is H2H online play because more than likely, the advanced depth chart players would have an advantage but maybe you could toggle to only play people with basic if thats the case.
I'm not an expert on programming, but i would have to imagine that would be a programming nightmare trying to get two different depth charts in to the game and working correctly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »