Home

Game Commentary Ridiculously Repetitive

This is a discussion on Game Commentary Ridiculously Repetitive within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #41
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Game Commentary Ridiculously Repetitive

When you use the Raiders, all year long the announcers talk about how they're moving at the end of the year. I mean, every home game it's mentioned. But then, when you actually move the team to Las Vegas they call you The Home/Away Team.

The Denver Broncos versus The Home Team.

Infuriating. It destroys the immersion.

How difficult would it have been to have the announcers say the names of the cities available for relocation along with the available mascots? What is that, five minutes of work? Three minutes? Honestly, EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #42
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
When you use the Raiders, all year long the announcers talk about how they're moving at the end of the year. I mean, every home game it's mentioned. But then, when you actually move the team to Las Vegas they call you The Home/Away Team.

The Denver Broncos versus The Home Team.

Infuriating. It destroys the immersion.

How difficult would it have been to have the announcers say the names of the cities available for relocation along with the available mascots? What is that, five minutes of work? Three minutes? Honestly, EA.
So they didnt fix relocation i see. It does that for Las Vegas, San Diego and St Louis.

Ridiculous that they wont fix it. Its been three or four years now. Yet another reason why im not buying Madden this year.

EA trying to hype us up with their BS weekly additions preview prior to the game coming out making franchise sound like it is being a priority and it just wasnt.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #43
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

My issue isn't the repetition or them forgetting to remove outdated lines (e.g "it's the classic Carr to Cooper connection!" when Dak hits Cooper for a big gain)

What irks me is the constant inaccuracy for situations, time, stats, etc. I dunno what happened, but I feel it's the worst since the new team was implemented. Hopefully it gets ironed out a bit.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #44
Rookie

ClassActFan's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm on both sides of the fence...

Prior to Madden '20 (maybe the honeymoon, despite all the problems I concede in regards to existing, hasn't ended for me yet), I have not truly enjoyed a Madden game since '12. '12 was so much fun and I logged a ton of hours into it. Madden '13 through '18 were all horrific in my opinion; this is also a time period where I started to drastically fall out of gaming asides from playing games like Halo, the Forza Horizon series and some lite 2K playing.

I don't know if recency bias is a thing on here or not, but are people forgetting how terrible Nantz and Simms was at commentary for the Madden games? I'm not one of those guys who can mute commentary, because I just can't stand only hearing the field noise when I play. I'm so used to the presentation, good or bad. Anywho, I never liked Simms as a commentator on CBS prior to him (I remember back in the day when he confused Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, saying Torry Bruce and Isaac Holt in games) and Nantz joining Madden, and I began to harbor an intense disdain for his commentary once I grew tired of hearing his rambling while running amok on the virtual gridiron.

Regardless, I think it is safe to say that Madden's presentation hasn't been very good since the Al Michaels/John Madden days. I actually enjoyed Gus Johnson when he was around, and while I appreciate Chris Collinsworth's insight to the game I always thought he sounded like a guy at a bar with a buzz with a tinge of sadness in his voice (Joe Montana and 49ers-induced?), but that's just my weird thoughts on it all.

Anyway, Nantz/Simms -- again, my opinion only -- is the worst Madden commentary tandem ever. (Although the John Hammond days were horrid, too.) I don't really hate the Gaudin/Davis duo, but the mistakes drive me nuts, just like they do for many of you. I've noticed it a lot this year. I've had so many plays stopped at the 1-yard line where they'll call a touchdown even though it is third and goal. I've also had the line where Aaron Donald gets his second sack and they talk about how Donald has been in the backfield 'all day long' when it is still the first quarter and only the third play of the game by an opponent.

There's a lot to be desired, but there has been a lot worse, I think. These days, I accept Madden for what it is. I think the 2009 version of myself would be disappointed to hear that Madden's presentation has not taken a dramatic leap after ten years, and even beyond, but I keep my expectations low for gaming these days, especially considering the climate of microtransactions and the route gaming is headed. I guess it makes me a cynic to sit back and expect the very worst in sports gaming overall now, but it also prevents disappointment going forward.

Hope my long-winded rambling makes sense. Dealing with a medicine hangover from being sick all week.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #45
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

I like Gaudin and Davis on commentary, but I too have noticed a lot of errors this year, much more so than in the past.

I'm in year 3 of my Dolphins CFM. For the past few games, when introducing the defense, Gaudin will mention how we are 22nd/23rd in the league defending against the pass. Davis will then say that defending the pass isn't our problem, defending the run is, and that we need to control the run so we can get back to the strength of our defense: defending the pass.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #46
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I turn the commentary off. The stadium announcer is great. Also the fact that Charles Davis rarely shuts up is very annoying.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #47
Rookie

ClassActFan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I turn the commentary off. The stadium announcer is great. Also the fact that Charles Davis rarely shuts up is very annoying.
Do you think his rambling is more annoying than Phil Simms in the past Maddens? Genuine question! Swear I'm not trolling. I'm just wondering where other fans of Madden stand on this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »