Home

Remember before OS and social media when we just played and had fun?

This is a discussion on Remember before OS and social media when we just played and had fun? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #41
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Remember before OS and social media when we just played and had fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
Fun fact: video games actually haven't kept up with inflation. Just based on inflation, a game that cost $50 in 2000 should cost $74 today.

...and I'm so, so very tired of the first words out of anybody's mouth when complaining about a game being "microtransactions" (or in Madden's case, MUT).

It's such a lazy thought process.

I understand people hating the business model...I don't HATE it, but I do cordially dislike it, so I'm cool with people having more intense feelings about it. I get it.

But it's not the end-all-be-all of game development woes, either. Bad games happened before microtransactions were common. Games released today that don't use a microtrans model are also frequently bad. By the same token, good games are released and supported that use them.

The fact that MUT is a major revenue source certainly contributes to some of Madden's issues. But it's far from a single root cause...and croaking out a "herp derp microtransactions MUT greed" in response to every complaint about the game, real or imagined, makes people

1) Sound like a 13-year-old who just learned about communism in school, wants to be edgy, and thinks angry noises about corporate greed are cruise control for cool

And

2) Makes it really hard for developers to take them seriously, or even really clearly understand the complaint. They hear "people hate microtransactions", not "people think the implementation of this particular feature is a problem".
Yeah so...to put my mentioning of microtransactions back into context....it was not a complaint or to blame them for bad games...but more to point out the current state of things vs nostalgic days of gaming before ANY of this was the norm. Nothing more...nothing less.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #42
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Yeah so...to put my mentioning of microtransactions back into context....it was not a complaint or to blame them for bad games...but more to point out the current state of things vs nostalgic days of gaming before ANY of this was the norm. Nothing more...nothing less.
Yeah, that's fair....I was reacting more to general trends here on OS, not to what you said specifically. I realize quoting a tiny part of your post made it seem otherwise, so my apologies.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #43
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
or moreso the life of a gamer
Sure, if there isn't anything else going on.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #44
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
Yeah, that's fair....I was reacting more to general trends here on OS, not to what you said specifically. I realize quoting a tiny part of your post made it seem otherwise, so my apologies.
Its all good 👍
Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #45
Pro

Just to be fair....

Yes, we've always complained about video games. When I was in college (1990s) we would just bash a game among ourselves. We didn't really have a forum to go to. But as far as Madden goes (and with MLB The Show) the frustration boiled over with exclusive licenses.

If there were no exclusive licenses and we hated Madden, no problem... we'd just play 2k. You had the madden crowd and you had the 2k crowed it didn't really matter too much... both crowds loved their game and that was pretty much the end up it.

Now, there is only one football game (I still blame 2k. So what you don't have a license... you could have made your own football game without the constraints of the NFL but instead you threw in the towel and said 'welp, last one out the door, please turn off the lights')

The exclusive license in addition to lack of substantial progress is the reason for these complaints.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 19

I still have fun. for most of us (35+) I think I've, we've just matured at the same time as these developers. tastes mature, and its great to see these developers continue to at least try and provide us with titles that will keep us maturer individuals and sports enthusiasts interested.

personally OS is my favorite social platform. They brought my passion of sports gaming to another level. IT was great to find a community that was just as passionate as I was.

Im dating myself, as simple as those games were back then, we always wanted more. I kept all my stats, and franchise history on paper. and still do on spread sheets. it was great to see there were folks like me. I just wish we had more titles, like we did back in the day.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This was such a fun thread to travel down memory lane until technology and microtransactions ruined everything.

Back to the fun part...

The magazine ad that changed my gaming life. The first Madden to be released on a console. Seeing those three tiny images had me hooked. We were still in the NES era when the ad hit as the Genesis had not yet been released in the US.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #48
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Seeing those handheld electronic football games made me think back to when I had this one as a kid and it broke, so I remember crying and my step dad went right out and bought me a new one. What great memories!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »