Home

How many people really want SIM gameplay?

This is a discussion on How many people really want SIM gameplay? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How many people really want SIM gameplay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCity
Why would any QB fumble with no contact happening to him in a a situation with the game on the line? Especially Russell Wilson for that matter. That's very unrealistic if you ask me, it's like the game scripted the other user for a comeback and it was nothing I could do about it.

Its hard to overlook flaws like that I'm a game I seen it happen again today in an online game only this time it was the opposing team with Dak Prescott.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Why dive when there is no one around you to make contact?

As others have said, there have been plenty of non-player contact fumbles, especially in your exact situation where someone extends out their hands to reach for the goal line or for a first down. Often the impact of falling and hitting the ground is enough to jar the ball loose and this has happened to RBs, WRs, TEs, players that are used to running and carrying the ball.

In fact, there have been players who have fumbled with zero contact, including the ground, the ball just slips out sometimes.

One thing that is interesting about your situation is if you were diving for a first down and the ground caused the fumble, wouldn't you be down if your knee was down? I don't know the exact rule when it comes to diving for first downs if contact is needed for you to be down.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #58
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
That's eli manning tho. Hes not a scrambler. Guys like cam newton or Russell wilson shouldn't fumble with a no contact drive. That's very unreal. They can take a hit, so why in the hell are they fumbling when nobody hits them. I can see if they run into their own teammates during the dive, but NO ONEs I'm the way.

You didn't answer my question, though, trying to help out here.

What mode were you playing in h2h?

If it's competitive mode, any QB will fumble more to make up for the lack of injuries in competitive mode.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:08 AM   #59
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
You didn't answer my question, though, trying to help out here.

What mode were you playing in h2h?

If it's competitive mode, any QB will fumble more to make up for the lack of injuries in competitive mode.
Yeah h2h and the game is automatically set to competitive mode so u guess that's the answer as to why the fumble happens thanks cuz the **** didnt make any sense to me at first.

Is competitive mode suppose to keep the game close or something?

Old 09-03-2019, 12:12 AM   #60
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerfish1976

One thing that is interesting about your situation is if you were diving for a first down and the ground caused the fumble, wouldn't you be down if your knee was down? I don't know the exact rule when it comes to diving for first downs if contact is needed for you to be down.
The thing about the ground not causing a fumble is a myth. You need a knee down, or forearm or back of the hand, and you need to be touched. If you are knocked down, then hitting the ground and losing the ball won't be ruled a fumble, although, if the ball comes out before you are down, the ground can knock the ball out of your hands if it happens before the knee and ect touch.

So a QB diving is at great risk if he is not being touched. Holding the ball out increases the odds of the ball popping out a ton. It's why QBs are taught to slide. It's why the slide mechanic is in the game.

The issue is, when you slide, you are down where the slide begins. Once a QB begins to slide, he cannot be hit, so he doesn't get forward progress. But if you need the first down, you may need to dive, but you lose protection. If you are sliding, you really can't fumble, because you are down the moment you start to slide.

Honestly, this a perfect example of how people think they want realism, but really don't.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 09-03-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:25 AM   #61
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Honestly, this a perfect example of how people think they want realism, but really don't.
Was my immediate thought when reading it.

Yes, Eli is far more likely to fumble in that situation than Wilson. But it's possible it could happen to Wilson, and part of realism is having unlikely stuff happen sometimes. If they make it impossible for that to happen to a good scrambler like Wilson, just because it's unlikely, that's actually less realistic.

It's the same thing in games where there's some pure RNG chance of success....say a 20% chance of failure. A lot of people will hit 3-4 failures in a row, and claim the "RNG is broken". It's actually not; any truly random system will contain streaks...that streak of failures is evidence the RNG is working. If you never ever saw 4 failures in a row, or if they weighted it to prevent that from happening, it's no longer random, it's deterministic.

Same thing here. Wilson can fumble under those circumstances, so every now and again, he should. If it happened 10 times over the course of 10 games, ok, that's probably something that needs tuned (even though it's still technically possible).

But if you've only seen it once? Yeah, I'm calling that evidence that they kept a realistic outcome on the table.

The big problem with accurately representing reality is that reality sometimes sucks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2019, 01:05 AM   #62
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
As far as I know, competitive is just supposed to be the player's stick skills above all else. Yours vs whoever you're playing.

For your specific issue, without injuries on Competitive there's an increased chance of fumbling when running with a QB to add risk to that play. Combine that with the higher risk of fumbling on dives vs slides in general and it sounds like you're encountering the worst-case scenario.

My advice would be to slide with the QB, but obviously that's also easier said than done when you're in the heat of the game and muscle memory takes over.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #63
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Yeah h2h and the game is automatically set to competitive mode so u guess that's the answer as to why the fumble happens thanks cuz the **** didnt make any sense to me at first.

It's not something I guessed on, something I read from one of the developers twitter line.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
Was my immediate thought when reading it.

Yes, Eli is far more likely to fumble in that situation than Wilson. But it's possible it could happen to Wilson, and part of realism is having unlikely stuff happen sometimes. If they make it impossible for that to happen to a good scrambler like Wilson, just because it's unlikely, that's actually less realistic.

It's the same thing in games where there's some pure RNG chance of success....say a 20% chance of failure. A lot of people will hit 3-4 failures in a row, and claim the "RNG is broken". It's actually not; any truly random system will contain streaks...that streak of failures is evidence the RNG is working. If you never ever saw 4 failures in a row, or if they weighted it to prevent that from happening, it's no longer random, it's deterministic.

Same thing here. Wilson can fumble under those circumstances, so every now and again, he should. If it happened 10 times over the course of 10 games, ok, that's probably something that needs tuned (even though it's still technically possible).

But if you've only seen it once? Yeah, I'm calling that evidence that they kept a realistic outcome on the table.

The big problem with accurately representing reality is that reality sometimes sucks.
A millions times, this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »