Home

Any idea how to stop the run on i formation run plays

This is a discussion on Any idea how to stop the run on i formation run plays within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Any idea how to stop the run on i formation run plays

I hate playing against people that spam run plays all game in iform and you can’t do anything about no matter if you user how many people you put in the box no matter if you guess the run your opponent still gets positive yards every time

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Rookie

diamok's Arena

Re: Any idea how to stop the run on i formation run plays

This is not the response you want and I am sorry for venting here, however.

I'm sick of people buying this game every year, then coming online and looking for a place to bitch and moan about how this sucks, or that sucks or whatever. It's the damn game and publisher you dip ****s...

STOP BUYING MADDEN AND IT WILL ALL STOP!!!

Oh but, why can't they make a game like 2k, NBA, FIFA blah blah freaking blah. Because people keep buying the damn game for $50+ a pop then play MUT and spend even more for the right to say, sweet, I beat you last night and it only cost me $200 this year, suck it!

Seriously, get a clue people, if someone is willing to pay you for nothing, why the **** would you give them something?!?!?!

Rant over, again, sorry.

As far as your stopping the run issue, I have no clue other than, stop playing.

And yeah I know, every year someone gets pissed off and makes a post like this...guess it was my turn. At least it was short though.

Take care,
Old 08-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Rookie

TrustTheProcess's Arena

Lol all he is asking is some advice for stopping I-formation run plays. I think your in the wrong thread for this rant. How about the thread titled "why cant madden be like like 2k". And trust me I get the frustration.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Rookie

diamok's Arena

Haha, yeah I know what he asked, but since all threads here are about madden the game in one fashion or another, there honestly is no wrong thread for a rant.

And I did say sorry, twice.

Peace!
Old 08-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwill22
I hate playing against people that spam run plays all game in iform and you can’t do anything about no matter if you user how many people you put in the box no matter if you guess the run your opponent still gets positive yards every time

I understand your frustration. But try using 4-4 Formation or stay in 4-3. I use 49ers so 4-3 is the base defense. look up your depth chart and see the Block shedding rating for your Linebackers. If I'm getting spammed I usually slant my D-line to the Strong Side and place the OLB (strongside) in the correct Gap. Now user the Strong Side DT. For some reason I have to resort to Usering a D-Lineman to get penetration and remember my old playing days of fighting across the face of the O-Line. Or if they run counter or trap follow the hip of the pulling guard and crush the Running Back. Then when you get into the back field, make sure you tackle Conservative or if you have a good no miss angle, Hit Stick Up and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Madden is all about adjusting to your opponent on the fly and don't forget to use Coach Adjustments as well. Hope this helps
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
MVP

Do you use 4-3 or 3-4?

If 3-4 the best all purpose run D I've found so far is Cover 4 Quarters out of an Odd front. You want to get the safeties into the box so they will be quicker to fill their run fits. It also helps to bring them in slightly toward the middle of the field.

If they are using twins I would probably select Cover 6 or Cover 9 depending on how I want to set coverage and run fits.

You want to learn the run fits for these plays; especially for the 3-receiver hook as that player would be your primary user. Against most runs you can, and should, just play your fit. Over aggressive run defense is easily exposed this year as the run blocking opens up some very nice cutback lanes. Even slow RBs can kill you if no one is home to make the tackle once he gets past the first level.

The big exception is outside zone. Against someone who can run this well you must scrape with your user. For those who don't know to scrape is as follows:

As soon as we see that it's outside zone we no longer fill our run fit. We are going to mirror the HB. If he commits to the outside we attack. Until then you maintain responsibility for your interior gap and you must be ready for a potential cutback!

I know all these plays are in 4-3 Normal but I'm not familiar enough with the run fits to know how well they play. I really prefer 3-4 if you've got the guys to play on the DL. 3-4 Odd is nice because we don't need line shifts. We are going to rely on block shedding from big, strong DL and hopefully good BSH, PUR, and TAK from our OLBs.

If you don't have 2-3 DL who are capable of blowing up runs at the point of attack all by themselves you might want to try something else.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

It's going to take some learning about how to audible your different defensive position groups. If they're lining up in the I and you know they're going to run it, you have to have to send more guys than they have blockers for. You're also going to have to guess correctly a few times.

Your base defense or something with extra linebackers will work. Is the run coming up the middle? Audible your defensive line to bunch towards the middle. Shift your linebackers in the direction of the run. Don't always call an all-out blitz because if their RB squeezes past the blitz it's going to be lights out for you.

Less man defense on run plays. Make sure you've got a linebacker in zone coverage for when their RB inevitably gets by your first wave of blitzers.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #8
Rookie

Thanks for the replies

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »