Home

QB awareness rating ..what does it really do?

This is a discussion on QB awareness rating ..what does it really do? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: QB awareness rating ..what does it really do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayODD
The majority of what you said here is actually affected by Attributes not the AWR ratings. If a QB has the throw ball away trait and ideal pocket presence they will always look to get the ball out quick or throw it away before a sack. If you have no throw away, ideal pocket presence and is a scrambling QB they will scramble more out faster than those without it. Number 4 & 5 are directly affected of AWR but as far as those other things they are dirrectly affected by the traits.
This info is straight from the Clint and even before Player Traits came into Madden on the front end, AWR rating has been the foundation impacting all their gameplay formulas under-the-hood since the games birth.

Most of the Player Traits function within their “Chance” formulas (ie Tendencies) mainly under Animation Triggering
***(Die-Roll for Cover Ball/Strip Traits)

- Throw Ball Away/Sense Presence/Scrambling Type (old Tuck-n-Run) Traits are just distance/radius triggers that direct the AI QB to what phase/mode to enter into within the gameplay scenario/interaction.... ie Scramble, Roll-Out, Avoidance (which Throw Away falls under)

Last edited by khaliib; 11-21-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

For user-controlled quarterbacks (and user-controlled players in general), however, I have always been under the impression that AWR means basically nothing.
This is the essence of why I have never considered Madden, or console sports in general sim, coming form games like text sims like Action PC Football and FBPro. Once I was slinging the ball, sim was was gone.

Hell, we had debates about whether it was sim to actually call plays instead of just setting a game plan with different plays weighted to be called in different situations. I ran a H2H league, where we called plays, and played in a full sim league.

By the time guys were crowing about flipping vision cones and making Michael Vick a Madden legend, I accepted that console sports gaming was never going to have successful sims. Head Coach proved that.

As far as AWR, I wonder if it can help receiver run better routes or more likely to catch a pass. In a text sim sense, this makes sense. Mahomes awareness means when Kelce breaks off the route, Mahomes is anticipating. In a statistical sense, it means Mahomes makes a higher % of Kelce's routes effective.

But once you control the QB and the AI controls the receiver, it's impossible to show that happening, for the AI break the route (in a way that helps), and for you to know it is happening (because you are not Pat Freaking Mahomes). But statistically, he needs to complete more passes because of this, so you just make his receivers better route runners with better release, based on his AWR.

I have no idea if this is how it works in the game. I don't dig into the details, because I stopped caring if the game is sim a long time ago, and this is why. The sim thing todo is to overpower Mahomes' receivers compared to the DBs they are facing, giving them a cheat.

Guys like Moody will see this and call it proof the game is fixed, while I would say it is proof the game is sim.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #19
MVP

Would be a fun test, really. Play a handful of defense-only games against the same QB, set his AWR to zero for five games and 99 for five games and then maybe 50 for five games. Could obv test this CPU vs CPU too.

And you know, back in my day, if you were going to start an OP, what you would do is actually do the testing and report the results and share them, and the discussion bridges from there, know what I mean? Opposed to randomly asking if anyone knows the answer to your question that you could test yourself? I mean I’m just sayin.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #20
Rookie

jay87's Arena

Quote:
Quote:
For user-controlled quarterbacks (and user-controlled players in general), however, I have always been under the impression that AWR means basically nothing
This is the essence of why I have never considered Madden, or console sports in general sim, coming form games like text sims like Action PC Football and FBPro. Once I was slinging the ball, sim was was gone.
It makes imo total sense, that these stats do not play a role with user players. This is exactly what the game is all about. That you make the right decisions at the right moment. Just like the cover skills don't matter anymore when you play defense secendery yourself.

Quote:
because you are not Pat Freaking Mahomes
Yes, of course, that's why we play madden, isn't it?

Quote:
Would be a fun test, really. Play a handful of defense-only games against the same QB, set his AWR to zero for five games and 99 for five games and then maybe 50 for five games. Could obv test this CPU vs CPU too.
Something along these lines I intend to do. Especially since I'm going to do something with my roster with the QBs, traits and pocket awareness (What it was about some posts before). On the PC everything is easier, because we can work with editors and excel a bit better on these things than you can on the console.

Project: 100% NFL Simulation Football

TFG Roster, 2020 Franchise File, XP-Sliders, Itbeme's Revival Playbook Mod Extension & Simulation Gameplay Sliders

The 100% NFL Roster and Itbeme23's Simulation Sliders for Madden20 *BETA*

R.I.P Arthur Morgan
Old 11-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #21
Rookie

jay87's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL

btw, would also be nice if we could stay here on topic.
That certainly does not belong here

Project: 100% NFL Simulation Football

TFG Roster, 2020 Franchise File, XP-Sliders, Itbeme's Revival Playbook Mod Extension & Simulation Gameplay Sliders

The 100% NFL Roster and Itbeme23's Simulation Sliders for Madden20 *BETA*

R.I.P Arthur Morgan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #22
Rookie

i remember them saying a few years ago that qb awareness effects OL play
Old 11-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #23
Banned

One important area it impacts is momentum. Dunno if y’all noticed but once one team gets momentum their players start playing better. It works both ways tho so when you lose momentum you see more dropped passes, inaccurate throws ect.

Awareness is kinda like a consistency rating that minimizes the drop in play you see when you lose momentum.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #24
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

On the 360, per khaalib, and I can confirm, at least on NCAA Football 14, Awareness dictated the sack radius of a QB. The higher the Awareness the larger the radius, the more difficult it was to get to the QB before he threw it. The lower the Awareness the opposite occurred. I confirmed this by doing a roster and lowering every QB's Awareness between 20-50. It obviously broke the sim stats, but when I actually watched the game, I was able to see better pass rush outcomes without having to mess with any sliders. Not sure what it does now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »