Home

HDR too dark?

This is a discussion on HDR too dark? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: HDR too dark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhood19
Looks way too dark for me. A 12PM clear game should not have nearly as many shadows as it does in this game. PS4 Pro with KS8000 TV, by the way.
I have a 65” ks8000 as well but I’m on PC. If I go from a non HDR game to madden then it’s a bit jarring but within a couple minutes I forget about it. I actually think Madden is one of the better HDR games.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
This only happens with EA games for me and HDR. FIFA I get the same problem but not as bad.

Sony games like The Show and Spider-Man look amazing in HDR.
That's because Sony tunes their HDR setting to what people think they want, which is bright and cartoony. HDR is meant to provide better images, even when the setting is darker. If you compare what the average NFL game actually looks like on TV versus what the average Madden gamer wants it to look like, it's not close.

Basically, Ea makes it so you can turn off HDR and get the look you want, while still letting others eep HDR on, because they understand that it actually looks more realistic.

Watching a review of the latest Forza Horizon game, the reviewer mentioned about how wit the Gran Turismo series that the devs had stopped leaning into making it as realistic as possible, but instead moved to a more beautiful realism, which is something the FH4 also does.

HDR has, overall, been one of the biggest boondoggles for gaming. No one understands it, so ti s misused by nearly everyone. If you are looking for HDR to get more pop in colors, you are doing it wrong.

A huge problem is that HDR really works the best with films in theaters, where the viewers are in the dark. It allows for dark scenes, which still show up well in dark theaters, to have better coloring than you could do without. But place that same scene on a 4K TV where someone is watching with all the lights on, and it comes off too dark.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 6

I agree with what you said about Sony HDR being a bit cartoony. But it does look impressive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #12
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

I have a new LG C9 OLED and even with dynamic tone mapping I noticed that Madden seems to treat the HDR tone curve backwards. I know this because the dynamic tone mapping feature on my TV only triggers on a scene that should be bright and not one that should be dark.

Madden seems to do the opposite in both regards which is all the more reason why people don't have problems with menus (in fact menus are too bright) and the play on the field after play selection is so dark at times.

Madden desperately needs some form of calibration feature that's been lacking. I called for it in the beta forum but it went unnoticed as everyone was talking about pass rush (those forums format was horrendous).
Old 08-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #13
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
Is HDR too dark again this year for madden? I remember last year it looked too dark so turned it off.

How is it this year? Specially asking for PS4 and Xbox one.
What kind of TV do you have? I have a Sony X900F and I play on Xbox. It looks amazing. It seems to look right to me in any weather or dome environment.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:31 PM   #14
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

I have a samsung ks8000 and it was dark last year too. After researching, you have to turn dynamic contrast on high. Then it looks amaze-balls. gl
Old 09-02-2019, 01:14 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkizast
I have a samsung ks8000 and it was dark last year too. After researching, you have to turn dynamic contrast on high. Then it looks amaze-balls. gl
i just did that and it solved the issue for the most part. Game looks great and not as dark! But the menus are bright as hell LOL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2019, 01:20 AM   #16
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

They just need to have a HDR calibrator in the game. MLB The Show needs this too. Every TV handles HDR differently. They basically have it set up for one type of TV. It's probably set to work with TV's that output around 1000 nits.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »