Home

Has anyone started digging into editing gameplans/playbooks to be used for the CPU

This is a discussion on Has anyone started digging into editing gameplans/playbooks to be used for the CPU within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2019, 02:52 AM   #1
Rookie

PhillyFan22's Arena

OVR: 0
Has anyone started digging into editing gameplans/playbooks to be used for the CPU

So far with sliders the gameplay IMO has been outstanding outside of some issues. But, to me the biggest issue I have is the CPU playcaling which is the same problem I have ever year.

What really makes me disappointed is with how much effort they put into RPOs which are fantastic, but they neglected the CPU playcalling almost completely. Every game I know once I get into the redzone the CPU isn't scoring and it doesn't matter what difficulty. I know everytime I get into redzone if I call a run the CPU will come out in their goal line D and I can't make an audible to pass or else I feel like I am cheating.

Playbook long yardage situations are still full of verts and corner strikes and the defense still has engage eights and ridiculous blitzes throughout.

I was curious if anyone else has started digging in and gathering data to start building some good ones so that offline players can start using them in their CFMs. Also, was curious if anyone knows if the CPU only utilizes the gameplans or how do the play call data updates come into affect?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2019, 05:10 AM   #2
Rookie

martz28's Arena

OVR: 3

Yes , if you create a playbook and assign it to the cpu team they will call plays based on how many stars you rate each situation.

I do not know if we added 30 plays to each situation if the cpu would cycle thru all of the plays though.

You will need a 2nd profile on xbox and a 2nd remote to be “idle” during games while it is assigned to the cpu teams 3rd QB.
(I am not sure how the 2nd profile deal works on PS4).

IIRC a user named Edgevoice had a thread on here last year about the playbook and gameplan.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
MVP

Re: Has anyone started digging into editing gameplans/playbooks to be used for the CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan22
So far with sliders the gameplay IMO has been outstanding outside of some issues. But, to me the biggest issue I have is the CPU playcaling which is the same problem I have ever year.

What really makes me disappointed is with how much effort they put into RPOs which are fantastic, but they neglected the CPU playcalling almost completely. Every game I know once I get into the redzone the CPU isn't scoring and it doesn't matter what difficulty. I know everytime I get into redzone if I call a run the CPU will come out in their goal line D and I can't make an audible to pass or else I feel like I am cheating.

Playbook long yardage situations are still full of verts and corner strikes and the defense still has engage eights and ridiculous blitzes throughout.

I was curious if anyone else has started digging in and gathering data to start building some good ones so that offline players can start using them in their CFMs. Also, was curious if anyone knows if the CPU only utilizes the gameplans or how do the play call data updates come into affect?
SABO is the main man here concerning CPU gameplans and always does a great job with these. I believe he's hopped over to P.C. version.

The point you made about the CPU and blitzing is on point with regards to what I am experiencing. The CPU picks good situations to call them, but often times many of the zone blitzes in the game leave wide open holes in coverage that I can quickly attack.

Madden 19 did a real good job of updating defensive gameplans throughout the cycle. While I do believe there are coverage flaws in this game, some of that opinion is likely based on the ineffectiveness of a few of these defenses overall. Hopefully, they will cycle thru and remove those and add more press man coverages, in favor of off-man which is still somewhat buggy.

The CPU on offense is doing a reasonable job of playcalling in the games I've played. They are using alerts, trick plays and things I've never seen before. I haven't had an issue there, other than the ridiculous clock management problem late in games.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
MVP

Re: Has anyone started digging into editing gameplans/playbooks to be used for the CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by martz28
Yes , if you create a playbook and assign it to the cpu team they will call plays based on how many stars you rate each situation.

I do not know if we added 30 plays to each situation if the cpu would cycle thru all of the plays though.

You will need a 2nd profile on xbox and a 2nd remote to be “idle” during games while it is assigned to the cpu teams 3rd QB.
(I am not sure how the 2nd profile deal works on PS4).

IIRC a user named Edgevoice had a thread on here last year about the playbook and gameplan.
I created a new thread this year regarding user custom playbooks and gameplanning, since this feature has been significantly overhauled. I can tell you that user game planned plays do show up correctly per-situation and that the plays rotate. I would imagine that the CPU would call plays in the same manner, but I do not know this for sure. Again, SABO is the CPU gameplanning guru here in my humble opinion.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 4

Yea i've moved on to PC, to give you an idea of how much more control we have on that side here are my edits. Best part is it doesn't require two controller trick and is just me revamping the actual default playbook gameplans. Best part too is there are way more plays per situation allowed vs custom books.

OFFENSIVE PLAYBOOKS
-Matched real life run pass ratio on 1st Down, 2nd Down, 3rd Short, 4th Short, Redzone, Playaction, RPOs
-Disabled play action being called on 3rd/4th long/Med, 2 Minute offense
-Globally made chew clock and inside own five 70/30 run pass ration
-Globally made goal line, go for 2 and 4th short 50/50 run pass ratio
-Globally made goal line pass, 2 min offense 0/100 run pass ratio
-Eliminated four verticals and corner strike from each playbook (will eventually replace with new plays)

DEFENSIVE PLAYBOOKS
-Matched real life % usage for Blitz, Cover 0 blitz, Cover 1 Man, Cover 2 Man, Cover 2/3/4/6/9 and Tampa 2
-I made Sky, Cloud, Hard Flat & Quarters zones 3% chance of being called because of poor depth logic. Will revisit when patched

Last edited by xSABOx; 09-01-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4

Honestly the amount of plays per situation is MUCH improved on default.

The issues are

1) they don't really have a run pass ratio in mind with the percentages
2) four verticals is way too high on 3rd long and 2 minute offense
3) for nearly all the books on defense its a 10% chance of every single play being called
Old 09-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSABOx
Yea i've moved on to PC, to give you an idea of how much more control we have on that side here are my edits. Best part is it doesn't require two controller trick and is just me revamping the actual default playbook gameplans. Best part too is there are way more plays per situation allowed vs custom books.

OFFENSIVE PLAYBOOKS
-Matched real life run pass ratio on 1st Down, 2nd Down, 3rd Short, 4th Short, Redzone, Playaction, RPOs
-Eliminated four verticals and corner strike from each playbook (will eventually replace with new plays)

DEFENSIVE PLAYBOOKS
-Matched real life % usage for Blitz, Cover 0 blitz, Cover 1 Man, Cover 2 Man, Cover 2/3/4/6/9 and Tampa 2
-I made Sky, Cloud, Hard Flat & Quarters zones 3% chance of being called because of poor depth logic. Will revisit when patched
Great stuff as always SABO. Not having the 2nd controller workaround has got to be a gamechanger for both yourself and the P.C. community. I'm sure they greatly appreciate all the hard work you put in.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
Rookie

PhillyFan22's Arena

Quote:

OFFENSIVE PLAYBOOKS

DEFENSIVE PLAYBOOKS
This is incredible, I wish I had a PC powerful enough to run the game smoothly for me to pull the trigger on switching.

But, for these are you editing the playbook files themselves or creating gameplans?

Also, do you know if for console does the CPU deviate away from the gameplans at all. For example, let's say I put 3 plays in each scenario would those plays be the only plays the CPU would run during the game? When the gameplans were first introduced I thought this was the case but I didn't know if the play call data or anything else factored into CPU playcalls.

Quote:
Honestly the amount of plays per situation is MUCH improved on default.

The issues are

1) they don't really have a run pass ratio in mind with the percentages
2) four verticals is way too high on 3rd long and 2 minute offense
3) for nearly all the books on defense its a 10% chance of every single play being called
Yeah I really feel that this year, aside from a few hang ups the game play from the 20 to the 20 is really really well done. Outside of what you mentioned the 3rd and long and 2 minute offense they really do mix things up and can be hard to defend.

My two biggest issues are the redzone and then the cover 0 and blitzes where the CPU handicaps themselves.

Last edited by PhillyFan22; 09-01-2019 at 12:15 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »