Home

Old 09-12-2019, 02:01 AM   #17
Pro

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Realistic speed threshold

Personally btw I've opted for a setting of 85 , but admittedly this may have forsaken some realism in order to help with coverage and blocking
Old 09-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #18
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

Have to remember that height factors in slightly with regards to speed in Madden when you're testing 40 yard times. All else equal the taller player is slightly faster than a shorter player, the equivalent of about a step over 40 yards
Old 09-12-2019, 02:38 AM   #19
Rookie

Landeye's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDominator273
Have to remember that height factors in slightly with regards to speed in Madden when you're testing 40 yard times. All else equal the taller player is slightly faster than a shorter player, the equivalent of about a step over 40 yards
Thank you. This is why I'm glad I made this thread because I totally would have overlooked that.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #20
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I think I'm going back to 75 which is equal to default last year.

My 96 speed RB gets 150+ yards a week because he's so much faster than everyone else.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #21
MVP

As someone who has spent more time than I care to admit on sliders and settings, speed parity tuning is very important in my humble opinion. In past years, I felt that speed was the most "spotlighted" rating in the game. EA appeared aware of this as well, which is why I think their previous default speed parity settings attempted to negate some of the differential between slower and faster players. The result was ugly at times, with ball carriers being tackled from behind in an unrealistic fashion, by slower players who did not have a running start or angle advantage.

The past two editions of Madden seem as though a bit more thought and tuning has gone into ratings across the board, especially with regards to receivers and defensive backs. For instance, even a corner with 95 speed will get smoked at times in press when matched up against a slower receiver, yet with a good release rating. Also, higher WR route running ratings allow for increased separation at the break, but this is now mitigated somewhat in relation to the DB coverage ratings. It's good to see that overall speed does not always dictate these outcomes.

Now that some of the other player ratings are "catching up", I like to keep speed as close to real life as possible. Perhaps that's why EA's default 50 is now a more aggressive tuning than in previous years. I've had to put in place some fairly aggressive sliders in order to tune gameplay to my personal preferences. However, again I think speed threshold at default is near spot-on. Just my take on it.

Last edited by edgevoice; 11-23-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #22
Rookie

Landeye's Arena

The way I determined ~75 to be the most realistic threshold was to take a WR,TE, and OT and set their height to 6'2". I turned the OT into a HB and went to practice mode.With all 3 positions I would hand the ball off or throw it to them and then jog to the 40 yard line. Then I would pause for a second and Sprint to the endzone. I recorded usually 2 40's per position every time I tested a new threshold. I started trying to hand time the 40s but then I realized I could look at the timestamp on the recording to get it as accurate as possible. I usually gave myself a margin of error of like 0.1 or so.

At default 50 the 90 speed 90 acc WR would run a 3.8. The 80 speed 80 acc TE runs around a 4.2/4.3 and the 68 speed 79 acc OT a 5.6. At 75 it's more like 4.3, 4.5, and 5.0.

Going higher than 75 causes the OT to become faster in comparison to the WR geting slower. I was trying to get the WR around a 4.4/5 but the closer I got the OT was at like 4.8. I might try to look at it more but I'm pretty set on 74-76 as the sweet spot.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #23
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

After the speed threshold patch on M19, I moved mine to 75 which was the old 50 default and it seemed great for CFM play. It's almost like it was patched so that online play was more wide open and big plays played a more prominent role.

When I started my M20 CFM, I left it on default (50) and signed a RB who is a 96 speed. Once he gets outside, he's gone. He's injured now, but I had a 200 yard rushing game with him and most were 150+ yards per game simply because of his speed vs other players on defense. My other RB's would have normal, average games.

I haven't played a game on 75 yet, but plan to my next game. The only problem is my 96 speed RB is out for 4 weeks, so I can't really test it fully. The other issue is pass coverage, it seems too wide open on default 50 as well, so putting it up to 75 should in theory, help with pass coverage.

I think 50 would be perfect for a college football game and still may be for Madden, but this slider has me more intrigued than any other slider.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #24
Pro

I wish they had a slider for QB vs Dline speed. Cam and Lamar are the only QB's worth rolling out with

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »