Home

Realistic speed threshold

This is a discussion on Realistic speed threshold within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #41
Rookie

Landeye's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Realistic speed threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
Madden players use lower spd threshold because they "want speed to matter"--that's the most common phrase I see written.

Speed absolutely still matters on high threshold. A lot. But other ratings, alignment, etc. will all come into play a lot more. You can especially see this in man coverage, it really tightens that up closer to NFL. What the low threshold guys in my harsh judgment really want is easier completions for more yardage. A fast guy should be an easy 20-50 yds.

To EA's credit, they tried to make 50 the realistic point in M19, but the feedback from the community at large was clear--they want a speed game where you're throwing to wide open guys, not a game of inches. Which is why they changed it back to how it was before and how it is in M20, where realistic is 75+.
Yeah a lot of people seem to think lower threshold causes more big plays but in my experience it's the opposite. When it's low you get cb and safety's running down every big play. the higher it is the more acceleration matters over speed and if a slower TE/WR/HB gets behind the defense they won't get run down so quickly. The higher the threshold the more reaction time and coverage skills matter. That 95 speed cb isn't going to be able to recover from losing the route cut so easily and slower CBS with good coverage skills will be more effective.

Last edited by Landeye; 09-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #42
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeye
Yeah a lot of people seem to think lower threshold causes more big plays but in my experience it's the opposite. When it's low you get cb and safety's running down every big play. the higher it is the more acceleration matters over speed and if a slower TE/WR/HB gets behind the defense they won't get run down so quickly. The higher threshold is the more reaction time and coverage skills matter. That 95 speed cb isn't going to be able to recover from losing the route cut so easily and slower CBS with good coverage will be more effective.
I reverted back to zero threshold and I'm amazed how great it played. Mind u im using certain settings & roster edits as well. Everyone's idea of "realistic" is different but it seems pretty darn close to my "realistic" view.

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 09-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
I reverted back to zero threshold and I'm amazed how great it played. Mind u im using certain settings & roster edits as well. Everyone's idea of "realistic" is different but it seems pretty darn close to my "realistic" view.

Funny, I changed it to 75 on all-madden and I've had two excellent games consecutively (all other sliders default). This may be consistent with last year's adjustment, one that I forgot about until seeing this thread.

Fixes everything from wide open run game to terrible pass coverage.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #44
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royerrulz
Funny, I changed it to 75 on all-madden and I've had two excellent games consecutively (all other sliders default). This may be consistent with last year's adjustment, one that I forgot about until seeing this thread.

Fixes everything from wide open run game to terrible pass coverage.
Hey if it works for you stick with it.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #45
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Just had my best game yet with ST on 75. No doubt for the way I'm playing it's perfect.

In fact, the CPU had 240 rushing yards on me!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #46
Rookie

Sajiky's Arena

I think in a real hunter/prey situation, it's the prey that would get a boost.

I don't care how keen the hunter is, it's not going to hold a candle to the adrenalin surge the prey gets with his life on the line.

Although, maybe it is a good analogy football wise. Cause in this case the hunter has the greater fear due to having more to lose if the "prey" scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Defenders in pursuit of ball carriers are given a catch-up speed boost ( dependent on their pursuit rating ) meant to imitate the psychological boost the hunter receives in a hunter / prey type scenario , which complicates the issue as in these scenarios speed ratings are not being directly compared
Old 12-01-2019, 02:58 AM   #47
Rookie

MasonOS95's Arena

I use 48, seems great to me
Old 01-07-2020, 05:01 AM   #48
Rookie

Landeye's Arena

I finally decided to test 0 threshold the same way I did 50-75 and I wish I had sooner. After setting up the test and watching the video I was surprised the WR with 90/90 SP/ACC ran a ~4.4 40yd dash. I tested a 81/81 TE and 68/79 OL and got ~4.7 and ~5.4. Encouraged by these results I looked at the fastest (CPU generated) player in my franchise and edited the WR to 95/97 and got ~4.2. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but these speed and acceleration ratings came from looking at the average SP/ACC ratings of all the starting player(s) for those positions in a completely CPU generated roster. The average 40 times for these positions at the combine is 4.48 for WR, 4.7 for TE, and 5.32 for OT. I definitely recommend trying 0 threshold.

Last edited by Landeye; 01-07-2020 at 05:06 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »