Home

Madden isn't meant for offline anymore

This is a discussion on Madden isn't meant for offline anymore within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 09-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Madden isn't meant for offline anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk

- Tons of fumbles
- AI clock management worse than 20 years ago. Clock management hasn't changed, why can't they get this even mostly right?
- CPU QBs completing 80% of passes for 10 yards per completion no matter who they are.
- No pass rush unless you blitz multiple defenders.
- 70/30 pass/run ration every single game, no matter the team.
- Simulation has almost zero broken tackles while arcade has over 20 per game just for the RB. Where is a slider to find a happy medium?

A lot of the gameplay feels "managed" by the game in order to prevent the user from doing too much, especially on defense.
- No fine-tuning on moving a user controlled LB or DB prior to the snap. Are they trying to hold me back from nano-blitzing?
- No separation or push from user controlled D-linemen.
- Animations that last way too long ans take away my control of a player.
- QBs sensing blindside pressure just because I won a QTE.
- I hate QTE. Even when I win them I usually don't get separation from the blocker.
- Players seem to have different speeds at different times depending on the situation.
You hit the nail on the ****ing head bro... Literally laid out ALL of the problems this year. Don't be sorry for the long post, it's the best one I've read on this forum.

The ****ing D-Line QTE animations are a JOKE. Half the time,you win the battle but are still ****ing stuck to the OL or get warped stuck to a RB, it's absolute garbage. I literally couldn't get sacks until I played with Clowney. It just should not be like that. And I don't want 6 sacks a game, but damn 2-4 pressures a game, with maybe a sack or a QB hit at least? ESPECIALLY if i win the QTE after coming off the line correctly, then I should get consistent pressure, maybe not always sacks, but PRESSURE. Come the **** on.

Straight half assing all their work when it comes to offline. It's what I've now come to expect from this Madden dev team a half *** job. Hope they're proud.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #34
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

OVR: 0

This game looks worse than M19 when you watch cpu vs cpu. I spectate on defensive possessions and theyíre are so many more wonky animations and moments. I have no clue why they removed game speed but Iím sure Iím seeing some of this stuff because the game is still not running smoothly on this speed. They supposedly removed it to fix issues but I donít see any improvements that may have benefited from this removal at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yep, I played the game for 2 weeks at launch and then got so bored and sick of it as an offline player. It is one of the most deceptive Madden's in recent memory with almost all the improvements giving the impression of an overhaul, but in fact has just put a new coat on a broken game.

For me, Madden will no longer be a launch purchase (potentially not a purchase at all). I feel sorry for the Devs because you get the feeling the level of corporate intrusion into the development process is crazy and the reason we rarely see further development on previous features.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2019, 02:25 AM   #36
Rookie

BleachYourWork's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
I skipped 18 and 19, played a bit of 17. Decided to pick up 20 after getting the itch for a new NFL game. I've been playing football video games since Madden on the Sega Genesis.

I'm strictly an offline player. What I realize after playing M20 for the past couple of weeks is that I am no longer the intended audience for this game, and sadly there is no other current option for me. M20 feels tuned, programmed, designed, for the online players. Playing against the AI offline feels like a feature they only left in the game because it was already there.

- Tons of fumbles
- AI clock management worse than 20 years ago. Clock management hasn't changed, why can't they get this even mostly right?
- CPU QBs completing 80% of passes for 10 yards per completion no matter who they are.
- No pass rush unless you blitz multiple defenders.
- 70/30 pass/run ration every single game, no matter the team.
- Simulation has almost zero broken tackles while arcade has over 20 per game just for the RB. Where is a slider to find a happy medium?

A lot of the gameplay feels "managed" by the game in order to prevent the user from doing too much, especially on defense.
- No fine-tuning on moving a user controlled LB or DB prior to the snap. Are they trying to hold me back from nano-blitzing?
- No separation or push from user controlled D-linemen.
- Animations that last way too long ans take away my control of a player.
- QBs sensing blindside pressure just because I won a QTE.
- I hate QTE. Even when I win them I usually don't get separation from the blocker.
- Players seem to have different speeds at different times depending on the situation.

I really like the look and feel of the stadiums. The game does look really nice except for some of the graphical glitches going on. I like seeing RPO in the playbooks. There are a lot of really nice things going on, but the "gaming" of the game is just killing the enjoyment for me. It really does feel like the game is tuned with online in mind and tries all kinds of tricks to prevent cheese, which sadly nerfs user control to the point of not being fun, mainly when trying to play defense.

Two separate games would be wonderful. One for online and one for offline vs. CPU. The likelihood of seeing that in my lifetime is about the same as seeing another NFL game on the market. I'm nearing 50, and I'm sad that this feels like M20 may be the last NFL video game I buy in my life. I will never be a MUT/online player. EA has made it pretty obvious that is their sole focus, and no one else even has the option of building an NFL for a player like me.

Sorry for the long rant, but this is a really sad conclusion I've come to.
Sadly, offline or any solo modes won't get better until they develop and install AI based gameplan/playcalling. Thats why you get that "all pro is too easy, all madden is too hard" statement. However, madden will most likely never convert to that AI based style because its not a money making machine like online play is. I love playing franchise, been playing madden all my life but the fun isn't there as much as it use to be and its easy, even on all madden for me.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #37
All Star

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I really do feel like we will get Coach Carousel next year. It's been 6 years since NCAA implemented it and NHL gets it first. It feels like every 2-3 iterations Madden has a plan/focus outside of UT. 18-19 was Longshot and Frostbite. 19-20 was RPM and small changes to CFM. I'm going to assume that 20-21 is going to be FoF, Abilities, and Scenario Engine. Online will always be a major focus because they have to cater to the masses. Biggest excuse for Coach Carousel was lack of resources and having to individually sign assistant coaches. I don't care about having real life coordinators. I follow Football, but I could name a handful of real life coordinators. They should have done what they with NHL and have fictional coordinators. It doesn't matter having real life head coaches if they have zero impact now. Madden's big issue is they focus too much on back of box. They try to focus on trying to be innovative. They focus on new features for 1-2 years then scrap them when they can't sell it as a new feature anyway. If Madden actually tried to build on what they add, Madden would be in a way better shape.
The things that worries me is next gen next year. Assuming that next gen consoles come out next November, that will have an impact on how they develop next year. They can't really build off this year when they have to develop for next gen as well. My biggest fear is that they strip down features for next year and it takes them 2-3 years just to get back on track. With the talk about next gen consoles having same architecture as current gen, hopefully that allows for a smoother transition.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #38
Pro

OVR: 9

The CPU runner not using special moves is another sign they don't care about offline players.

I noticed the QB scramble away from my user controlled DE a couple more times as soon as I won a QTE.

I really want to like this game, but I get the feeling I'm less than an afterthought to them. The number of details that are just plain broken (like the CPU special moves) and the amount of "management" the game does to try and mask gameplay issues is giving me a real love/hate with M20. Taking the last couple of years off made this feel fresh, but I'm starting to remember why I took 2 years off from Madden.

No way I'm buying M21 after seeing so many of the same issues from years ago and how they are catering to MUT while completely ignoring those of us who have been with them since before online play even existed.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #39
Rookie

I too, have played video football since it existed. Played strictly in on-line leagues on PC when that became a thing, until the plug was pulled on PC. Switched over to PS4, played online leagues until about three years ago. Been playing exclusively off line since and my enjoyment factor went up 100%. It's a fine game and I think itís laughable to think something from 20 years ago (that would be 1999) can even hold this games jock.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #40
@MikeLowe47

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

And the issue isn't that things are trending to online, of course they are.

The issue is that Ultimate Team modes are being forced upon us as the only viable and reliable option.

Yet all of these studios struggle to understand that by blending UT and franchise, they'd have a new gold mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »