Home

Madden isn't meant for offline anymore

This is a discussion on Madden isn't meant for offline anymore within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #49
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden isn't meant for offline anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist Of Kings
I was one of the people that said madden needed player tendencies/player styles/ability system like apf 2k8 does, and I still feel that way. The problem with madden 20's x factors is exactly what you mentioned, they are cheesy and unrealistic.

I realized this immediately when I was watching some random youtube clip of some guy breaking a bunch of highlight, once a year type long runs with Barkley(giants rb) to 'get in the zone'. The way it's set up in apf 2k8 is a lot more natural and realistic, and in the flow of the game.

But in madden 20, it's a poor implementation that only highlights the bad gameplay, and makes it even more unrealistic. I don't like the way ea went about this. Personally, I feel that if the player ratings translated into the on the field gameplay better then maybe a system like this wouldn't even be needed.
See, if you play the game in a sim way, this won't happen, there are ways to counter that youtube highlight reel.

Apf didn't offer MUT, competitive type game play at the time. Plus, you can turn off the x factors if you want to in case you feel the game is "cheating" you.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 1

my benchmark is if its in the game its in the game, until its dropped and put back 3 iterations later as a full game.
compared to madden 08/pc/hc06/hc09 (i prefer pc except 09 i bought a ps3 for) cfm is rubbish. on default all pro sliders an olb got 63.5 sacks in a season in both my pc and xbox one offline coach mode cfms. this is a rookie player who is not a superstar, hidden (ends up star then ss with all the awards) and ovr at season start i think is 72 iirc.
whilst i could understand console version not learning or scouting me, a pc could it has the horsepower. which reminds me why cant i scout myself for tendencies?
contract flexibility, 5th yr option, rfas, compensatory picks, play/formation designer, a real draft presentation/half time/pre game/weekly round up, weekly training like the game we cant mention, coaches and assistants etc, play knowledge, punter/kicker variety and development, fb love, oline as fb (ie G) as well as dts, formation subs for every formation, non bugged custom playbooks. most of this is not gameplay related and therefore is imo easier to code.
id like to have a meeting with my staff/owner and discuss those performing/not performing, scouting the opposition, current/potential ovrs like there own games had. most if this was in previous ea titles, and some were in 2k5 which is still excellent in certain areas.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman
Can somebody explain the fun in madden ultimate team?

I’m a offline player only. Madden 99 was my first madden. I was around 11 at the time and the franchise mode in that game really got me into football.

I just don’t see the fun in ultimate team when you can play real fantasy football on yahoo or something.
Lots of reasons. For people who like H2H it's a far better experience. If you are playing Regs H2H and are actually trying to win your games good luck with any team that isn't DAL. There's actually far more diversity in terms of the types of teams you will face and the schemes players will run until you start getting into the upper levels of competition.

If you prefer SP MUT offers modes that are far more challenging than anything you can get out of play now or franchise without resorting to hours of slider tweaking.

If you don't resort to corny tactics to bait the AI into turnovers the Solo Battles mode on All-Madden is hands down the best SP experience this game has to offer.

The mode is also a nostalgia trip for guys in your specific demo as many of the past players which get included in the game were the standouts of that era: Mike Vick, Derrick Brooks, Brian Dawkins, Shannon Sharpe, etc.

Finally if you are willing to take the excess coins you earn and do naughty things with them which violate EA's TOS you can pay for your copy of the game and then some without too much hassle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #52
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6

It's really time to start getting games on PC if they offer it. The modders do just a great job. Sabo mod, as mention, has made the game playable for me. You don't get the stupid animation where the CB takes himself out of the play and the WR catches it for an 80 yard TD. That alone would make me stop playing. Any given time there could be a game changing TD because of that stupid animation. However with the modders on discord it just night and day how the game plays.

Same with nba 2k. Not that you need to go to the extremes with that gameplay like madden, but at least with PC you can do a lot of things. Heck you can lock in sliders for myplayer so you can actually get realistic games and not have to score 60+ points to win (which means realistic play calling). I have awesome myplayer season starting in 2k10 because of that. I always tell my friend idk how he plays on xbox because MP out of the box just too much of a pain to play. We don't play online (park and such) so I'm trying to tell him to ditch the xbox lol.

Seriously get a PC people. Way too many options. I sold my xbox 1 because no use for it really once I got madden on pc. Steam has a crap load of sales all the time. I got sooo many games that I only played about 10% of my library lol.

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #53
Pro

Bushido's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathrneck34
I second the notion of getting a PC and signing up for Origin Premiere. Forget buying the retail game and pay 15 a month or 99 a year and playing the entire EA library of games rather than 65 for one... you don’t need much. A Ryzen 1600 and a RX 580 will play M20 at medium/high at 1080p res and that’s better than console. Don’t need 4K for Madden. Doesn’t change much visually. But once on PC you can download Frosty mod manager and Frosty editor and tailor the game to your liking. Updated gameplay with Sabos mod and updated fields and stadiums with Aholberts mod. To graphical improvements and a college recreation with 32 teams from bleedingred21. Sobos mod takes a little time to set up, and with a few updates from him to iron out a few things and the game will play like old school Madden. Not to mention there is also a franchise editor as well....so many reasons to sell your console and build a 500 dollar or less gaming rig monitor and mouse/keyboard included.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I've never playing video games on a PC before, but have decided to boycott Madden all together due to it's negligence to actually put forth any effort to create a playable offline franchise mode.

But this thread has intrigued me in regards to achieving that with a PC.

Again, never played video games on a PC. I'm on a MacBook right now for example, and don't even own a PC anymore.

What size screen do you guys use for gaming? Are there controllers that you use that are identical/similar to PS4? Or is it all mouse/keyboard? I know these are no0b questions, but I haven't touched a PC since high-school back in 1999 (lol)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 1

i use a 26" but im ghetto, i have an xbox usb cable controller (microsoft one so it works with win 10 simply), dont touch mouse/keyboard when playing. do wish i could output reports/rosters/stats etc though
Old 09-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #55
Rookie

ICE_790120q's Arena

OVR: 0

It seems that the older we get the tougher it is to get a "sim" enough experience (player on his 40's here).

I don't want to sound cheesy or too philosophical but I think reading through the responses and agreeing with lots of them, the reason for this is:

a) We've grown up. When I played tecmo bowl, Front Page sports football, etc. I would have been excited just by having the logo on the helmets and jersey numbers. But at the same time I was not at all bothered by having a game going 56-49 and won by some money game against my buddy.

As we grew older you appreciate what the NFL is and all the complexities around it and you want that translated into a video game, but lets face it that is just impossible. On a thread that was closed because it was duplicate to this someone said he spent more time fixing rosters and other things than actually playing games...I feel you and I do as well.

So with this I have come to terms to the idea that maybe I'm outgrowing sports video games in general and the sense of unfulfilled sim experience is not only directly related to the game but the fact that video games no longer fill that need of replicating the sports leagues that I follow.

The second is a generational change that is shifting on video games. Younger generations will be more prone to being happy with competitive modes (on-line) regardless of realism, hence new modes like KO or whatever that is called. It is what it is and as long as that is a bigger market Madden and any other video game will continue to evolve towards that kind of experience.

On the other hand a super realistic game with all the X's and O's verbiage etc. might bee too niche of a game. Me personally, I love the NFL, follow tons of games and understand basic to mid level concepts however I never actually played the game hence was never exposed to that level of terminology and even sometimes reading some posts here I have no clue what they are talking about.

So that's where I think EA and other game developing companies come to a cross-road. It is impossible to make such tailor-made experiences and even if gearing towards such it will never be enough. At the same time they do have a business to make money (it's not criticism) and will focus and spend resources where growth is.

With all this being said. Question to all you...are we getting to obsessed in this quest for the real thing that we then stop having fun with a video game?

I feel we are the equivalent of those baseball/football players going through such a rough slump because they are more worried about what goes around the game (money, sponsors, etc.) that they just simply stop enjoying playing the sport.

I think we need an equivalent of a pep talk that reminds us why we play a video game, just go out there and enjoy it without looking for fault. It is not easy but I've been doing that for the past year, trying not to get upset if the game is not having the exact number of plays per game the NFL averages or if the fifth LG on the depth chart is in fact an accurate active player on the team and believe me, I've had much more fun and less anxiety about the state of the game.

By no means, this means I'll give a pass to EA for some miserable bugs that they've failed to address, however I do think offline gamers also carry a bit of fault when feeling so frustrated about the state of certain features.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #56
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_790120q
(snip)
As we grew older you appreciate what the NFL is and all the complexities around it and you want that translated into a video game, but lets face it that is just impossible.

(snip)

I think we need an equivalent of a pep talk that reminds us why we play a video game, just go out there and enjoy it without looking for fault. It is not easy but I've been doing that for the past year, trying not to get upset if the game is not having the exact number of plays per game the NFL averages or if the fifth LG on the depth chart is in fact an accurate active player on the team and believe me, I've had much more fun and less anxiety about the state of the game.

I understand and respect where you are coming from, yet I have to take issue with the bits I quoted.

At risk of beating a dead horse, what most of us ask for is not only POSSIBLE, but has been done by prior versions of Madden and/or 2k5 and 2k8.

Look, I have stuck with Madden 25 and have had no reason to spend money on a PS4. Especially when the only thing I would play is Madden. Nothing about he game has sold me that it is better than what I have now.

For me, in Madden 25, I can play 15min quarters with 18 second run off accelerated clock, normal game speed, 75 speed threshold, 90 fatigue, 10 injuries, custom substitutions and custom All-Madden settings. I get the right number of plays, the ratings feel like they are respected with the animations, and the franchise mode is solid.

I do not like that I am FORCED to call a basic high school game plan, but I live with it and treat it as such. there is no film study/preparation for an opponent with tendencies and all of that, but that is okay. Maybe some day.

I just come out and run my offense, play a bend-but-don't-break defense and try my best on coach mode - as user control would dominate the game and I want the ball carrier vision and QB awareness to matter instead of my god-vision as a player.

The scouting process is fun. The draft is solid. Free agency is engaging. I can get a lot of replay out of it.

However, I do not think any of the core concerns with the game are unreasonable or impossible. Watch the Angry Joe review. He complains about basic problems that a AAA game should not have. He is not asking for the world. Neither are we.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »