Home

Inside Zone Blocking Assignments

This is a discussion on Inside Zone Blocking Assignments within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Inside Zone Blocking Assignments

This is really sad to read.

I am still playing Madden 12 and 25 on my Xbox 360, which has imperfect but solid zone schemes.

I have seen videos of Madden 17, 18, and 19 on YouTube where people use/teach the zone scheme to help new players and it was working well. In some cases far better than the versions I am playing, especially the wide/outside zone scheme.

The very reason I logged in this morning was to talk about zone running and found this thread.

It really helps to have videos or at worst pictures of what is going on and to test possible reasons for it.

I do not know what scouting and drafting is like in Madden 20, but in Madden 25 the high motor trait is the deciding factor between potential prospects I have scouted. For offensive line, I always scout scheme first to see who fits my zone run team, then run blocking to see who has a score of B or higher, as a score of C or lower is not worth my time. Finally I look at the pass blocking and impact blocking of potential targets before scouting high motor once I have narrowed down my draft board and need to make tough choices. I make sure to draft one or more offensive linemen in every draft if possible, as turnover and depth (injury,even short term) are very important.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Pulling guard plays, with the exception of tosses, perform better than they ever have. If you attempt to take the ball through the wrong gap or sprint prematurely you are going to see weird behavior because the OL will change their targets based on the actions you take. Follow you blockers, lay off sprint, and don't run into DL/OL mismatches and all will be well.

The only time you should ever be calling inside zone is if there is a 1-tech play side. You might get away with it against Even fronts, but that's a big if. Edit - if they are spamming Odd or Bear fronts and you don't have an outside zone you can probably call inside zone with the intention of kicking the run outside if they can't seal the edge.

There is no number of still screen shots you can post that will convince me otherwise has I already have over 300 full games in vs. AI and close to 100 more H2H.

If there is no defender in their gap, they’ll likely try and double one gap over. Which makes zero sense for obvious reasons. NCAA had this right back in 2011 so I’m not sure why we can’t get it right now. But add that to the list.

Could post countless clips of pulling guards never turning upfield, running past people, even pulling and then turning back and running the other way, i will never forget watching a pulling guard block his own man lol. That was classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
MVP

If you get that behavior you are out running them, sprinting behind the LOS, or attacking the wrong hole.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
If you get that behavior you are out running them, sprinting behind the LOS, or attacking the wrong hole.

Sprinting behind the line makes linemen block a full gap over instead of going straight ahead to a linebacker? Or reverse field and block someone on the weakside? Or completely run by a defender altogether? That’s weird. Will have to try it I guess.

Although I’ve never seen Troy Aikman or Romo breaking down a play and say “well you see, this lineman here misses the block because the running back is sprinting behind the LOS.” Interesting all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #13
MVP

I was referring to linemen who change their targets.

The plays which call themselves inside zone are always going to have the C and play side G looking to double team someone. If you don't want that run one of the iso plays instead. They all use zone blocking logic, anyway. If you do the inside zone drill in CFM you get boosts to dive, lead dive (weak side), HB Slam (another weak side iso) because they are all also inside zones.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
I was referring to linemen who change their targets.

The plays which call themselves inside zone are always going to have the C and play side G looking to double team someone. If you don't want that run one of the iso plays instead. They all use zone blocking logic, anyway. If you do the inside zone drill in CFM you get boosts to dive, lead dive (weak side), HB Slam (another weak side iso) because they are all also inside zones.
Really like the I lead dive weak. Really nice blocking up to the second level. The counter works nicely out of that formation as well. For the most part, I am seeing good blocking out in space. Much improved from last year and I have my run block slider down to 30.

I still have a few what in the heck was that moments, but few and far between.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Really like the I lead dive weak. Really nice blocking up to the second level. The counter works nicely out of that formation as well. For the most part, I am seeing good blocking out in space. Much improved from last year and I have my run block slider down to 30.

I still have a few what in the heck was that moments, but few and far between.
The weak side Iso's are so good in this game, and almost no one uses them or really knows how to defend them because they offer cutback opportunities that are just as good as stretch.

The play almost feels like a secret weapon in H2H.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »