Home

Can we talk about man coverage?

This is a discussion on Can we talk about man coverage? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Review
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 09-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Can we talk about man coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
With all of the stupid and aggressive posts from earlier out of the way, and to reiterate my point... I wanted to open a conversation about man coverage in Madden, which some people have followed.

That means, if you think man works well in Madden 20, then explain how and why. If not, then why not... but also how man coverage has worked in the game as a whole and what you would like to see in the future.

This is part of what I am talking about. For a long time, and it sure seems it has remained true for Senator Palmer here, Madden still comes down to a handful or so concepts which are worth using and then a bunch of rubbish to be ignored.

Similar here. I donít trust man enough in Madden. Zone is like 96% of my calls. Iím not a heavy blitzer, and wen I do Iím sending the army.. other than that Iím Cover 4, 6, and 9 strictly. You MAY get a Cover 2 outta me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #18
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I find man coverage very limiting, for a variety of reasons that PG pointed out. There is a lack of fundamentals programmed into the way the game animates.

When in press there is no ďkick-stepĒ with the corners, which is a technique popularized by the Seahawks where the corners will take essentially do not react to the receivers initial movement. They take a read step then wait for him to commit in a direction then kick back in that direction. It allowed them to play tight coverage and contest everything.

In Madden, this year again, itís way too easy to beat press coverage if youíre running a streak. Itís a total gamble calling man against a streak if youíre in press. Corner will miss a jam, then the transition to flip his hips and run looks like it happens in slow mo while the receiver gets away.

Then there is the total lack of brackets and funnels built into calls like cross brackets that Belichick uses. Anthony White did a video on the way quarters was programmed last year that went into detail about how the game will play cut coverage against certain routes, and I even caught a banjo in 2 man a couple of years ago, but I canít really make heads or tails this year.

And donít even get me started on zone pressures. I had a perfect pressure called playing as the Vikings. Harrison Smith had a perfect run-through to the QB. Iím talking a wide open lane. He starts through the lane, then inexplicably turns into the guard so he can be blocked.

Iíve totally stripped my playcalling down to about 6 coverages.

Explain Banjo for me boss and what coverage is it in?

Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #19
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSonTL
ITP Glossary: Banjo Coverage

It says in he article:
"However, for every bubble screen and package play they develop, defensive coordinators are putting together new responses to the spread offense. One of those is the combo coverage, more commonly known by its NFL audible, ďbanjoĒ coverage."

They say new... but banjo has been a term that dates back to the the 60's or earlier. At least for me, BANJO was a term to describe how linebackers decided how to cover a TE and a HB/FB coming out of the backfield. The rules described in the article for defensive backs against receivers are the same as those I was raised with for Linebackers. There is even old NFL films footage of Mike Singletary yelling BANJO - HEY! BANJO! when you watch clips of the 86 Bears.

Essentially, it allows you to play man with zone logic.

In Madden 25 respected man coverage better than any game before it and is the one I still play for various reasons... but if you had leverage outside or inside with cover 1 or cover 2 man under, then you were going to get chewed up and spit out by the TE and runners coming out of the backfield. Especially with classic west coast route combos.

As I said before... as a 49ers fan who learned about Vic Fangio's defense at that time and how they used a ton of cove 1 bracket and cover 2 man under. Essentially , everybody is "doubled" even when you do not have enough players to actually double everyone. The X and Y outside are doubled by brcket coverage or an overhang safety and the CB undercuts short routes and can afford to bite on double moves because they have help. The linebackers could do the same as they played a banjo game with the releasing TE and HB. the 49ers LB core was so fast and talented that Bowman would bracket with the nickle-back against the slot threat. that is how they shut down the Patriots in 2012 on the road in NE. It takes talented and well coached players, which they had. It is what he did with the Bears. it is what he is no doubt teaching in Denver, but it takes time.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with the OP. There are some issues with man.. itís also Overpowered too to some extent lol. Ima zone guy because Iím a Bears fan and I remember the T2 under Smith and Marinelli.. thatís my style anyway. While I believe in press man.. I deviate from it.. however it has some perks. On the flip side Iíve noticed that shading argument you had and Iíve seen the DBs automatically align in 2 man under to take the inside away. Plain and simple, certain routes just beat certain coverages and I think once everybody realizes that, the better the community will be

When in Man Under and 2 Deep Safeties, I manually assign inside and underneath leverage. I am trying to stop sticks-curls etc and am not worried about 9 routes, since I have help over the top. I understand that this can still be somewhat risky.

When playing Cover 1 Press with a Robber or Hole Defender, I manually assign outside and over the top leverage, since I have zone help in the middle. If you do this, you will not activate a press animation. If you have a slow corner up against a fast receiver with good release and deep route running ratings, you will still get beat. However, playing over the top will make you vulnerable on curls, comebacks, etc.

I've noticed man coverage playing a bit looser since today's patch. I may have to change up some of my leverages after I put in some more time with the update.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
When in Man Under and 2 Deep Safeties, I manually assign inside and underneath leverage. I am trying to stop sticks-curls etc and am not worried about 9 routes, since I have help over the top. I understand that this can still be somewhat risky.

When playing Cover 1 Press with a Robber or Hole Defender, I manually assign outside and over the top leverage, since I have zone help in the middle. If you do this, you will not activate a press animation. If you have a slow corner up against a fast receiver with good release and deep route running ratings, you will still get beat. However, playing over the top will make you vulnerable on curls, comebacks, etc.

I've noticed man coverage playing a bit looser since today's patch. I may have to change up some of my leverages after I put in some more time with the update.
question.. in past Maddens the shading was reversed... is it correct now? I want to make sure... because this is one of the reasons I dont press much
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice

question.. in past Maddens the shading was reversed... is it correct now? I want to make sure... because this is one of the reasons I dont press much.. also... If I manually press, will they just move up or will they actually jam the WR?
Old 09-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
question.. in past Maddens the shading was reversed... is it correct now? I want to make sure... because this is one of the reasons I dont press much.. also... If I manually press, will they just move up or will they actually jam the WR?
The shading is not reversed. If you manually press and do not play, or are pre-assigned to over the top leverage, you will press. That does not mean you will win your press. Ratings such as press ability and receiver release actually matter this year in my experience.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #24
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

Yeah, PG already responded, but it's basically passing off receivers the way you do in zone, only it's man-to-man coverage. It's usually used in real life against teams who throw out their man-beaters like crossing routes, bunch formations, basically any kind of concept offenses use to create natural picks to get receivers free.

Instead of corners trying to follow their man through all that traffic, they'll trade off on the fly.

When I found it in madden, it was in 2 Man Under and it was against a twin-I formation. Never saw it trigger in any of the cover-1's. I'd assume it's still active, but I haven't noticed it this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »