Home

Are signing bonuses and total contract value broken in Madden 20 Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on Are signing bonuses and total contract value broken in Madden 20 Franchise Mode? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Review
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 09-20-2019, 03:58 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Are signing bonuses and total contract value broken in Madden 20 Franchise Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings74
I agree with you as to the real world but madden isn’t doing this. Look at my photo again.

In my photo it should spread out that signing bonus across three years like you say. But instead it is adding the entire amount of the bonus to EACH year. Do you see what I mean?

Here it is again.

Please reread my third paragraph.

The bonus line doesn't say "total bonus". It says "signing bonus"....it's showing the per-year cap impact of the bonus. It's done that way to be consistent with the salary, which is ALSO shown on a per-year basis, rather than as total salary.

That contract is 3 years, 27 million....18 million salary, 9 million bonus. Both portions are broken down to show the approximate yearly salary cap impact.

Either way, the math works out correctly. If you'd prefer that they show both the total bonus and the yearly salary cap pro-rate for clarity, or just change that one line to say "yearly bonus prorate", I get that, but it's not broken...it's just how they chose to display it.

Not everybody's aware of how guarantee prorating works, so putting the total bonus amount next to a yearly salary amount could be very confusing to those people.

I've actually seen buddies who're a bit more casual get confused by this in past versions that showed total bonus instead of yearly cap impact. They'd try to front-load the cap impact of a contract by moving a bunch of salary into the bonus....for example, a 3 year, 30 million contract, they'd do 9 million salary, 21 million bonus, expecting the first year cap hit to be 24 million, then 3 million each in years 2 and 3. They'd get mad and/or confused when the salary cap hit was still about 10 million per year.

Especially since Madden contracts DON'T have all the options real-world ones do, keeping both amounts consistent, and geared toward cap impacts, is the better choice.

Last edited by tg88forHOF; 09-20-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:33 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Are signing bonuses and total contract value broken in Madden 20 Franchise Mode?

bonuses can be over multiple years its like roster payment, each bonus/salary for a year comes from each different year, what madden doesnt do is decrease cap available in years 2+ if you cut a player with multiple year bonuses.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:03 AM   #11
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
Please reread my third paragraph.

The bonus line doesn't say "total bonus". It says "signing bonus"....it's showing the per-year cap impact of the bonus. It's done that way to be consistent with the salary, which is ALSO shown on a per-year basis, rather than as total salary.

That contract is 3 years, 27 million....18 million salary, 9 million bonus. Both portions are broken down to show the approximate yearly salary cap impact.

Either way, the math works out correctly. If you'd prefer that they show both the total bonus and the yearly salary cap pro-rate for clarity, or just change that one line to say "yearly bonus prorate", I get that, but it's not broken...it's just how they chose to display it.

Not everybody's aware of how guarantee prorating works, so putting the total bonus amount next to a yearly salary amount could be very confusing to those people.

I've actually seen buddies who're a bit more casual get confused by this in past versions that showed total bonus instead of yearly cap impact. They'd try to front-load the cap impact of a contract by moving a bunch of salary into the bonus....for example, a 3 year, 30 million contract, they'd do 9 million salary, 21 million bonus, expecting the first year cap hit to be 24 million, then 3 million each in years 2 and 3. They'd get mad and/or confused when the salary cap hit was still about 10 million per year.

Especially since Madden contracts DON'T have all the options real-world ones do, keeping both amounts consistent, and geared toward cap impacts, is the better choice.

Aaaaah, I see what you’re saying.

In other words, when it says “signing bonus” that’s not actually the total bonus but rather the per year cap hit.

That’s a little weird to my thinking but I get it and I see your point about confusing very casual players. I just assumed it was meant to be the total bonus.

Thanks for clarifying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings74
Aaaaah, I see what you’re saying.

In other words, when it says “signing bonus” that’s not actually the total bonus but rather the per year cap hit.

That’s a little weird to my thinking but I get it and I see your point about confusing very casual players. I just assumed it was meant to be the total bonus.

Thanks for clarifying.
Yeah, years back (last gen, maybe as recently as 25?), they used to show total bonus, and when they moved to the new way of displaying it, it threw me for a bit, too...if you spend any amount of time looking at real-life contracts, it doesn't match the way they're reported.

But I'm always surprised by how many people don't actually have a handle on how NFL contracts work, so even though it looks weird, I get why EA went this route.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
Rookie

This continues to throw me off because I am not fully paying attention.

I sign a player to, say a 3/$24M contract then I'm blown away that the player is eating about $9M of my cap.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
Yeah, years back (last gen, maybe as recently as 25?), they used to show total bonus, and when they moved to the new way of displaying it, it threw me for a bit, too...if you spend any amount of time looking at real-life contracts, it doesn't match the way they're reported.

But I'm always surprised by how many people don't actually have a handle on how NFL contracts work, so even though it looks weird, I get why EA went this route.
That's what I thought. I skipped the last couple of Maddens and thought it used to be that way. Good to know I'm not completely crazy.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

But... If yearly salary is $6 million and signing bones (per year) is $3 million for a total of $9 million a year, why does it say at the top that the cap hit is only $7 million?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2019, 03:58 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringeelement
But... If yearly salary is $6 million and signing bones (per year) is $3 million for a total of $9 million a year, why does it say at the top that the cap hit is only $7 million?
Because that's the cap hit for just that first year.

Cap hit is the actual salary for that year plus the prorated guaranteed money (which in Madden, is only signing bonus).

The salary portion of Madden contracts are all backloaded; they start at an amount lower than the APY (average per year), then gradually increase to the highest amount in the final year.

So, take a contract where the salary amount is (total) 35 million over 5 years, plus a 15 million bonus. That's an average salary of 7 million per year, and the bonus (which is paid as cash once) is prorated at 3 million per year.

In Madden, because all contracts are backloaded, the salary and cap hit will look something like:

Year 1: Salary 5 million, prorated bonus 3 million, cap hit 8 million
Year 2: Salary 6 million, cap hit 9 milion
Year 3: Salary 7 million, cap hit 10 million
Year 4: Salary 8 million, cap hit 11 million
Year 5: Salary 9 million, cap hit 12 million

The full salary still adds up to 35 million over 5 years, it just escalates.

This is what people are talking about when they say they want the ability to structure Madden contracts like real-world contracts. In the real NFL, not all salaries are backloaded like that...many are, on the assumption that the salary cap will go up every year, but that same 35 million over 5 years could be structured to pay at 15/5/5/5/5 if the team and player both agreed (the team might have more cap space that first year, and expect to have less later, so they get a big chunk of the salary out of the way while they have space).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »