Home

Post your personal CFM House Rules

This is a discussion on Post your personal CFM House Rules within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2019, 01:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Post your personal CFM House Rules

This was a topic a couple of years ago and I searched to see if there was also a topic for it now. If my search was incorrect and this has already been covered, I apologize in advance.

Anyway, these are my House Rules:

I use the auto-subs and audio settings from Flazko. I love the stadium feel of the audio settings and I think he’s nailed the auto-subs even better than EA.

I use the gameplay settings/penalties and gameplay sliders from Matt10. I am a believer in his animation-driven gameplay. It forces me to play thoughtfully.

I use TDawg’s XP sliders. These are the gold standard of player progression and his thread gives you the research right there.

I absolutely encourage everyone to use the defensive perspective camera angle to play their D. Your preference for whatever offensive camera angle you like is fine because I don’t think that changes gameplay outside of being just a personal preference. Having said that, the defensive perspective camera is critical to having changed how I call plays on defense and make pre-snap adjustments. If I call the wrong play or make the wrong adjustment, I will get burned—and rightfully so.

Now, here are my actual rules I follow (and, in a couple of instances, the research attached to support them):

Personal House Rules:

1. You are limited to twenty player signings/off-season, which includes bringing on new draft signings and UDFAs. This can include three realistic trades. You cannot trade for players with less than two years experience.

(The cap of twenty player signings is based on https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ce-inevitable/)

2. Prior to your first season, you are capped at signing three free agents and one realistic trade. You must follow the trade rules described in #1.

3. Sign free agents to a reasonable length of contract. If a player wants a three-year deal, don’t try to sign him to a one-year deal or a five-year deal. You can sign him to a deal from two-to-four years. If a player wants a one-year deal, sign him to a one-year contract.

(This is based on https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...-a-season.html)

4. You must keep at least five draft picks from your latest draft for at least one season. You must keep at least three draft picks from each draft for at least three seasons. Teams try to make their draft picks work. They don’t like to move on from bad selections.

5. You are allowed one in-season trade. This does not count towards the off-season limit of twenty moves or trade cap of three off-season trades. You must follow the trade rules described in #1.

6. Because contracts on Madden will put teams in cap Hell by year two, fix salaries for no more than five players on each team to move money into the current year (only for players with three or more years remaining on their contract because high-dollar players with only two years left on their deal are likely targets for realistic cap cuts). This will help teams be able to keep key players while still being forced to consider their cap situation at the end of the season. To do this, go into the “edit menu” for each player on the “salaries menu” under the “My Team” tab. When you are on the “edit salary section”, move the year of the contract over one year (either direction) and then immediately move it back to to the correct year. Do not hit save until you have moved the contract back to the correct year. This has the effect of keeping the salary the same for the player but moves the money around to even it out over the contract, while also transferring money into the current year.

7. You can only sign players with zero or one year of experience to the Practice Squad. You can have no more than two players of any position on the PS. While some teams will try to hide a player on their Practice Squad who is in his third season, if he’s not good enough to be on your roster, don’t do it. This will save your PS slots for developmental players.

8. You can sign players off your Practice Squad if: they were on your PS at the start of the regular season; or they have been on your PS for at least four weeks; or you are replacing a 1:1 positional injury.

9. Your player focus for weekly training must be the same players all season. It must also be three of the top four rookies you drafted in the latest draft. While teams obviously try to build up their entire team, they typically focus on making their best rookies into first-year starters.

10. Always sim the weekly training to ensure you’re not progressing faster than the CPU.

11. Use player progression every week for you and the CPU. Players in the NFL sometimes develop quickly from week-to-week, especially young players.

12. You must call plays for offense and defense from coach suggestions. This is similar to having an OC and DC. They would give you a series of plays for the situation and you would have to choose from what they gave you.

13. This one is personal for me and may be meaningless to you. Don’t let players wear the numbers that have been retired by your organization. I don’t want to see anyone wearing Len Dawson’s #16 on my Chiefs squad.

I’d love to hear what your House Rules are that keep this game fun and challenging for you!

Edited #6 based on discovering that editing all player salaries for all teams had the effect that no teams had serious cap considerations for starters. I want teams to be able to keep their key players. I also want teams to be forced to make realistic cap choices for starters—especially those with only one or two years left on their deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by seanstephans; 09-30-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Post your personal CFM House Rules

I haven't started testing gameplay sliders yet, but I usually roll with Armor and Sword's set. I always use TDawg's XP sliders (no need for deviation or experimentation there). I'll have to check out Flazko's auto-sub and audio settings.

I use the "Normal" camera setting for both offense and defense. I wasn't a fan of the defensive perspective camera the first time I tried it, but I'd like to give it another shot one of these days for the sake of challenge/realism.

As for my house rules:

1. I must keep one dedicated long-snapper on the roster at all times.

2. The punter must be the holder on all field goal and PAT attempts, not the backup QB which is default.

3. After the draft, I can only sign undrafted free agents I spent scouting points on. This prevents me from simply cherry-picking the best ones.

4. The use of Old Man Nathy's Trade Value Calculator

5. Armor and Sword's no-switch rule on defense.

I also share your stance on retired numbers. I wish Madden made real-life retired numbers off-limits in Franchise (with the option to enable them when using classic rosters).
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 09-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
Rookie

Owner mode player here. This year my rules have morphed slightly.

1. In season I must pay starters at minimum an avg starters wage. I'll typically use the "player is in top x%" number to modify my offer to better reflect their worth to my team. A few years back, I found a chart with avg salaries, I think somewhere here on OS.

2. I must let at least 1 80+ OVR test FA per year.

3. Formerly, I'd only resign starters. However this year, with the new scouting system, I will resign anyone whose contract will end at 28 years old. Or that won't let them regress past 75 OVR by end of contract. For 2nd stringers, I offer the market value once. If they try to negotiate, I'll withdraw and try to resign them in the offseason.

4. I limit myself to 2 total trades in season. Offseason is unlimited.

I've got more written down somewhere, just not in front of me currently. These are the main ones.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221
In season I must pay starters at minimum an avg starters wage. I'll typically use the "player is in top x%" number to modify my offer to better reflect their worth to my team. A few years back, I found a chart with avg salaries, I think somewhere here on OS.

I really like this one. I do something similar. It’s not a hard rule for me, but I want guys to want to play for me so I do it.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
MVP

1. I demote all xfactors to superstar and reroll any enforcers.
2. 3 highest overall 24 or younger are trained.
3. Do each training drill once and live with the results for entire franchise.
4. For 3 to matter always use recommended training.
5. I stick my positional list on spending development points.
6. Don't re sign players over 76 unless they are starters or they are over 30 and are lifers with my team. I am loyal that way. I pay them on their way down and that keeps the cap challenging.
7. The most important. Throw the damn ball to JuJu a lot. We are chasing Jerry Rice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
1. I demote all xfactors to superstar and reroll any enforcers.

2. 3 highest overall 24 or younger are trained.

3. Do each training drill once and live with the results for entire franchise.

4. For 3 to matter always use recommended training.

5. I stick my positional list on spending development points.

6. Don't re sign players over 76 unless they are starters or they are over 30 and are lifers with my team. I am loyal that way. I pay them on their way down and that keeps the cap challenging.

7. The most important. Throw the damn ball to JuJu a lot. We are chasing Jerry Rice.

I really like #s 3, 4, and 6. I want to think about those.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
Rookie

The Black Redneck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans
This was a topic a couple of years ago and I searched to see if there was also a topic for it now. If my search was incorrect and this has already been covered, I apologize in advance.

Anyway, these are my House Rules:

I use the auto-subs and audio settings from Flazko. I love the stadium feel of the audio settings and I think he’s nailed the auto-subs even better than EA.

I use the gameplay settings/penalties and gameplay sliders from Matt10. I am a believer in his animation-driven gameplay. It forces me to play thoughtfully.

I use TDawg’s XP sliders. These are the gold standard of player progression and his thread gives you the research right there.

I absolutely encourage everyone to use the defensive perspective camera angle to play their D. Your preference for whatever offensive camera angle you like is fine because I don’t think that changes gameplay outside of being just a personal preference. Having said that, the defensive perspective camera is critical to having changed how I call plays on defense and make pre-snap adjustments. If I call the wrong play or make the wrong adjustment, I will get burned—and rightfully so.

Now, here are my actual rules I follow (and, in a couple of instances, the research attached to support them):

Personal House Rules:

1. You are limited to twenty player signings/off-season, which includes bringing on new draft signings and UDFAs. This can include three realistic trades. You cannot trade for players with less than two years experience.

(The cap of twenty player signings is based on https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ce-inevitable/)

2. Prior to your first season, you are capped at signing three free agents and one realistic trade. You must follow the trade rules described in #1.

3. Sign free agents to a reasonable length of contract. If a player wants a three-year deal, don’t try to sign him to a one-year deal or a five-year deal. You can sign him to a deal from two-to-four years. If a player wants a one-year deal, sign him to a one-year contract.

(This is based on https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...-a-season.html)

4. You must keep at least five draft picks from your latest draft for at least one season. You must keep at least three draft picks from each draft for at least three seasons. Teams try to make their draft picks work. They don’t like to move on from bad selections.

5. You are allowed one in-season trade. This does not count towards the off-season limit of twenty moves or trade cap of three off-season trades. You must follow the trade rules described in #1.

6. Because contracts on Madden will put teams in cap Hell by year two, fix salaries for as many players as possible on all teams to move money into the current year. To do this, go into the “edit menu” for each player on the “salaries menu” under the “My Team” tab. When you are on the “edit salary section”, move the year of the contract over one year (either direction) and then immediately move it back to to the correct year. Do not hit save until you have moved the contract back to the correct year. This has the effect of keeping the salary the same for the player but moves the money around to even it out over the contract, while also transferring money into the current year. For some teams, you can only do this for a few players because of the team’s cap space. For other teams, you can adjust every player. This adjustment will keep teams from having to cut key players at the start of the second season.

7. You can only sign players with zero or one year of experience to the Practice Squad. You can have no more than two players of any position on the PS. While some teams will try to hide a player on their Practice Squad who is in his third season, if he’s not good enough to be on your roster, don’t do it. This will save your PS slots for developmental players.

8. You can sign players off your Practice Squad if: they were on your PS at the start of the regular season; or they have been on your PS for at least four weeks; or you are replacing a 1:1 positional injury.

9. Your player focus for weekly training must be the same players all season. It must also be 3 of the top 4 rookies you drafted in the latest draft. While teams obviously try to build up their entire team, they typically focus on making their best rookies into first-year starters.

10. Always sim the weekly training to ensure you’re not progressing faster than the CPU.

11. Use player progression every week for you and the CPU. Players in the NFL sometimes develop quickly from week-to-week, especially young players.

12. You must call plays for offense and defense from coach suggestions. This is similar to having an OC and DC. They would give you a series of plays for the situation and you would have to choose from what they gave you.

13. This one is personal for me and may be meaningless to you. Don’t let players wear the numbers that have been retired by your organization. I don’t want to see anyone wearing Len Dawson’s #16 on my Chiefs squad.

I’d love to hear what your House Rules are that keep this game fun and challenging for you!

I been looking for ways to bring some new life to my franchise so I think I will try this.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Redneck
I been looking for ways to bring some new life to my franchise so I think I will try this.

Let us know how it goes!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »