Home

There Should be a Double Cover Feature

This is a discussion on There Should be a Double Cover Feature within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: There Should be a Double Cover Feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack317
I dont necessarily want the option to do it everytime or from any play.

But just to have the option period would be nice. In some form

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You do have the option. It requires careful defensive play calling and some inkling of what sorts of routes/plays worry you from a given formation. You also have to be ready for the possibility that the offense does something unexpected and your carefully laid plan blows up in your face. Paying extra attention to one receiver also obviously means someone else has a chance to run wild on you.

This is all the better teams can do IRL. It's why guys like Julio, AJ Green, AB before he went crazy, Hopkins, etc. are so productive despite the fact that everyone in the stadium knows they are getting tons of targets almost every game.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
The old "Double X" and "Double Z" plays didn't work because teams don't actually put two guys in man coverage on someone.
I might be misreading this, putting two guys in man coverage absolutely happens in real football. Bill Belichick has all kinds of brackets out of man that he’s used to great success: cone and vice.

When they used to play the Bengals they actually had a call 1 Double 85, which was a cover-1 shell with the other safety doubling Chad Johnson where’ve he went.

He also uses Vice coverage last season when they played the Chiefs to bracket Kelsey.

And here’s one Saban uses at Alabama where both safeties will bracket the outside receivers.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 09-24-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
Rookie

I agree there should be a feature that allows you to effectively shade the safety toward a specific receiver, same thing for the o-line toward a star pass rusher. The problem with strict double teams is if the defense blitzes, the line still double teams the pass rusher with the double team feature right now for o-line (letting the blitzer come free.) Strict double teams aren't something that is called often. If the star WR you want to double runs a short 5 yard in route and the slot WR on the same side runs a deep post, no way in hell would I want my safety to ignore the deep post just to double the star WR running a short in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I might be misreading this, putting two guys in man coverage absolutely happens in real football. Bill Belichick has all kinds of brackets out of man that he’s used to great success: cone and vice.

When they used to play the Bengals they actually had a call 1 Double 85, which was a cover-1 shell with the other safety doubling Chad Johnson where’ve he went.

He also uses Vice coverage last season when they played the Chiefs to bracket Kelsey.

And here’s one Saban uses at Alabama where both safeties will bracket the outside receivers.
That's correct, but those are "man match" coverages that will double receiver(s) based on the route combinations run by the offense. It's not the same as a strict double team on a specific WR.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
MVP

Neither of your links are working.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer

I just don't think doubling a stud WR happens much anymore, yeah, a safety will come over and blanket that side of the stud WR, but if you have (big if) a good CB or one that is a lockdown CB, doubling the stud WR isn't always necessary.

Jaire Alexander is becoming a lockdown corner. Jaire and King shut down Diggs and Thielen vs the Vikings.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #15
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngofny
That's correct, but those are "man match" coverages that will double receiver(s) based on the route combinations run by the offense. It's not the same as a strict double team on a specific WR.
Not the examples I gave. I'm not talking about even cross brackets. They may be man match technically speaking, but the ones I'm talking about, are going to bracket a specific receiver wherever he goes. The safeties are going to make a specific call for example wherever Travis Kelce lines up and that's going to tell them where the bracket is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #16
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I just don't think doubling a stud WR happens much anymore, yeah, a safety will come over and blanket that side of the stud WR, but if you have (big if) a good CB or one that is a lockdown CB, doubling the stud WR isn't always necessary.

Jaire Alexander is becoming a lockdown corner. Jaire and King shut down Diggs and Thielen vs the Vikings.
It does. It's gameplay specific, and each team will do it a little differently based on how much man they play -- which the NFL is mostly a zone league now, but the few teams left that still play a ton of man -- the Patriots for example play more man than anyone, absolutely will pull out those brackets against certain guys and change them up all game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »