Home

There Should be a Double Cover Feature

This is a discussion on There Should be a Double Cover Feature within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #41
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: There Should be a Double Cover Feature

I'm no expert, but I watch a fair amount of NFL coaches film (I wish I could find college all-22). I really can't remember seeing man coverage with 2 defenders devoted to a single receiver.

Even in cover 1, I haven't seen a defense move the FS over to even cheat a double.. But maybe I'll pay closer attention the next game I see with a top 5 receiver.

From my experience if the defense has a good corner, they may track him with the #1 receiver, but that's about as far as it goes. Just my 2 cents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #42
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I just don't think doubling a stud WR happens much anymore, yeah, a safety will come over and blanket that side of the stud WR, but if you have (big if) a good CB or one that is a lockdown CB, doubling the stud WR isn't always necessary.

Jaire Alexander is becoming a lockdown corner. Jaire and King shut down Diggs and Thielen vs the Vikings.
Packers defense is nice

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Old 09-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 0

This can be done through hot routing. Call a play like cover 1 robber and then hot route the underneath zone safety to double the man you want to double. Or call cover 2 man, change one safety to centerfield and change the other safety to "double man" the receiver you want to double.

Don't really agree this should be a feature though, it's rarely if ever done in real life. As others said - there may be man match concepts, or a safety may follow a tight end if he gets vertical, but I don't think I ever see "actual" double coverage in the NFL. Of course I don't watch every game or anything.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #44
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
I'm no expert, but I watch a fair amount of NFL coaches film (I wish I could find college all-22). I really can't remember seeing man coverage with 2 defenders devoted to a single receiver.

Even in cover 1, I haven't seen a defense move the FS over to even cheat a double.. But maybe I'll pay closer attention the next game I see with a top 5 receiver.

From my experience if the defense has a good corner, they may track him with the #1 receiver, but that's about as far as it goes. Just my 2 cents.
You definitely have to look apt film, look at how the Pats played keenan allen and tyreek hill in the playoffs last season.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies6f
There should really be a feature (possibly in coaching adjustments) to highlight an opposing receiver as the main threat, making your single high safety cheat to their side of the field in Cover 1 for example.

Not for the player, but for the CPU. Having a number 1 WR like D Hop or AJ Green just makes things way too easy against the CPU if they don’t have a good number 1 CB. Not sure how else it could be implemented but I think it would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I remember way back when Madden did have double coverage calls for the X, Slot or Z receivers. I also remember they were quite "glitchy" whereas this left other WR's uncovered at times.

As you mentioned, I would like to see the spotlight receiver feature affect the single high safety when playing cover 1. That way, I could press and play outside leverage, while knowing I had both zone help in the middle and that my free safety would quickly help me over-the-top.

I don't notice a lot of true double coverage in the NFL today, other than in the tight red zone. I remember Rob Ryan, when he was with the Saints, employing this technique against Dez Bryant. He literally would line up two DB's on either side of him to take away either the fade or in breaking routes like a slant. If you tried to double or bracket a receiver IRL anywhere else on the field, the receiver could simply just split the double team on a 9 route.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #46
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

In the way that Clint added double team blocking for the oline even though the hard core folks said it wasn't realistic, the same needs to happen for receivers. Since all the things schematically(spotlight receiver doesn't work as well as it did many years ago IMO) and from an individual player awareness standpoint that would happen in real life isn't in the game, some video game solutions are a must.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #47
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

9/29/19 - K.C. vs Det

Old 09-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
9/29/19 - K.C. vs Det

I saw that yesterday and thought of this thread. They were playing man on the rest of the receivers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »