Home

Offensive Lineman: Power or Finesse?

This is a discussion on Offensive Lineman: Power or Finesse? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Offensive Lineman: Power or Finesse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
It really just depends on what scheme you are trying to run. I personally don't ever train the pass protector archetype because it's so 1 dimensional. I make my decision to train power or finesse based on my personnel and scheme.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Pass protector upgrades are great for rounding out guys who are already very good run blockers. It takes a ton of XP to move the needle eventually. Getting a power OL's PBF into the high 70s/low 80s can make a world of difference when facing good speed rushers.

When developing them the basic question is do you build on their strengths or try to shore up their weaknesses. If my guy is already in the low 80s for RBK and PBP there's not really much to be gained by further development of those attributes unless he's a superstar. Getting an Agile or Pass Protector upgrade or two can make them a much better player.

OL are pretty fluid in this game and it makes them one of the few positions that's actually fun to scout and develop. Draft classes feature Agile OL with elite STR and Power OL with decent mobility. BPA trumps scheme fit when you are looking for them, and there are starting caliber players available in late rounds if you know what you are looking for (STR, RBK, PBP, PBF - everything else is gravy and can hopefully be boosted by development).
Old 10-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
MVP

Here are my current upgrade rules I follow for offensive linemen:

LT. -pass protect plus five over power
LG -agile plus two over pass
C--agile plus two over pass and power
RG- agile plus four over pass
RT--power plus five over pass
Old 10-02-2019, 02:02 AM   #11
Banned

Pass Protectors preferred at both Tackle spots to help slow down the edge rush, power preferred for interior lineman since the better rushers inside tend to be power rushers. That said I try to keep the interior of my OL fairly balanced
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #12
MVP

Offensive Lineman: Power or Finesse?

Honestly I really just go on vibe, and this goes for every position: I already know what I want each player to eventually be (or what their strengths and weaknesses are, what their role on the team is, etc.) so that when they pop up I have an immediate gut-reaction as to where I’m gonna spend the points.

For my OL in particular I think in general terms:
LT - pass pro
LG - balanced
C - balanced
RG - run block
RT - run block

But like others have said it really comes down to your scheme and your vision for the unit.

Last edited by Detroit Tigers; 10-02-2019 at 06:05 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »