Home

Someone Please explain the logic of the low rated offense linemen

This is a discussion on Someone Please explain the logic of the low rated offense linemen within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Someone Please explain the logic of the low rated offense linemen

Great example of this:

Jason Peters is injured (again.) The Eagles are starting first round pick Andre Dillard in his place. Dillard had to play a lot last week and "struggled" (I'm putting it lightly). He started Sunday night against Dallas and "struggled." This is a great example of how in real life, you often have a steep drop off from a starter to back up.

As others said, though... Andre Dillard will improve in real life (God, I hope so!!!). His performance these last two weeks might be rated a 65 (I"m just making up a number) but I expect next year he will be a quality starter (God, I hope so!)

Luckily, EA has the progression slider so hopefully that helps. But overall, I am glad they put in the ratings spread because it was needed... not everyone can be a 95.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Rookie

Just look at Dallas when they lost their tackles. Dak was getting killed everytime he dropped back. Good starting linemen are hard to find, much less a good backup.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
Rookie

I don’t have a problem with the attribute rating. What I do have issue with is how lesser O linemen neutralize better D linemen. The reach block on the force player is horrible in this years game. The defender can have 10 more strength and an advantage of 20 in block shed versus run block and still get reached on the outside. It really makes running an under front pointless in Madden 20. Madden 17 was the last time the leverage of the defensive fronts worked correctly. If you study how the line play works this year, each blocker and defender they are suppose to block presnap are pulled together by an invisible magnetic force. It’s very frustrating to a student of the game.

Example: go run a stretch play from I formation with Seahawks and run an under front Sky from the 43 using the Redskins. Look at the difference between OLB Kerrigan attributes and TE Wilson. Watch not only how the TE dominates the OLB, but also look at how the OLB shad no clue that he is the force player.

Last edited by Coach Captures; 10-21-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi
The problem is they are trying to spread the ratings out (a much needed thing) but they are still trying very hard to appeal to the ultimate team player and more casual fan, so while the OL ratings are as they should be, positions like RB, where the casual fan could recognize the players, remain at the old levels.

It creates the optics of an imbalance.
In fairness there is not much of a drop off between a starting RB and his backup though. Look at situations like the Rams, Cowboys, and Chargers and a list of other teams. For the past several years the Ravens have just been cycling in what are basically backup RBs before signing Ingram. Steelers replaced Bell with little drop off also.

The lack of separation between RBs is largely due to the lines. This may rub some people wrong but most RBs would love to run behind the Cowboys line. Well starting line anyway, as others have pointed out when a starter goes down the dropoff is significant. THe RB position isn't as valued as it once was because the separation just ins't that high.

I remember in years past the difference in run blocking whenever Marshall Yanda got hurt.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #13
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

lineman are really easy to progress though. As long as gour team does well in rushing and passing they all go up. Their goals are tied to rushing and passing and it doesn't matter if they're on the field. Or you could just focus train them. Or as was said up the xp sliders. My teams often supply a good amount of lineman to other teams because they progress so much.

Sent from my LG-AS993 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
Pro

sinthros's Arena

Disagree, this is one of the few things Madden is doing completely right. Offensive line depth is scarce in the NFL and they're reflecting it in the game.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #15
MVP

There are very few backup olinemen in the NFL that are beyond their first year that are ever going to be regular starters in the NFL. Injuries to olinemen are not sexy in the fantasy age but have more game impact than any position but qb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 1

way too many similar high rated backup hbs though in comparison, not all can do the nfl

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »