Home

Madden 20 “Sim”/Competitive Mindset going forward

This is a discussion on Madden 20 “Sim”/Competitive Mindset going forward within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2019, 12:12 AM   #25
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Madden 20 “Sim”/Competitive Mindset going forward

Here’s what I did. Don’t know if it’s THE answer but it’s really competitive.

1. In Madden, delete all rosters/settings/sliders, then delete profile. Don’t back out to MM, delete the profile right there and quit the game back to the Xbox dashboard.

2. Delete madden in its entirety. All saved data. Then re-install the game from scratch.

3. Once DL and you DL the update with it, go through like a brand new game and select:
ALL MADDEN/COMPETITIVE and whatever setting you prefer. But the AM/Comp is important. I play on 12 min qtrs with stock runoff.

4. Do the pro bowl if you want but go to MM. Go to DL live content in the settings tab. DL the live content. Once finished, RESTART your whole console. This should effectively install the Content and update effectively.

5. Go back in madden. Make sure the latest stock roster is uploaded. Go to gameplay settings and do:

Ball hawk: off
Auto switch: on
All helpers: off (I forget the other ones but you know the helpers)

Penalties:
IG off
OPI off

CFM:
AM/COMPETITIVE
And all the other settings however you want them.

I do go back and make sure my clock, penalty, and gameplay settings are back to where it is in MM. Also in MM the injury is set to 10 but in CFM it’s 40. Leave this be. Basically out side of those personal settings and penalty turn offs, I kept everything stock as all get out. Superstar abilities are on currently. Debating on turning them off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2019, 12:19 AM   #26
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher0
Simulation is the only mode with dynamic player performance. I.e. it allows morale, and events on the field effect the rng events in different ways. Example. Go for a 4th and fail. Your team will get negative momentum. You can get out of it by creating positive momentum by completing 5 passes in a row, getting a TFL or a sack. Etc. Conversely after a interception or a fumble recovery it's the perfect time to take shots down field. Player traits can change throughout the game as well. A QB that's sacked a bunch can have sense pressure trait downgrade from say ideal to trigger happy, resulting in more wild passes. Traits like clutch give you better dice rolls period. These events are meant for franchise mode. Competitive is for head to head and tournaments and has no dynamic player performance. Just ratings. Traits are static. Every game is more uniform and predictable and less "random events". Arcade is for MUT where it's short games and 1 play touchdowns. Playing on competitive in franchise is by every definition less realistic... Example... If the jets played the Patriots last week in competitive mode, Darnold would have been cover 0'd to death and been uneffected, reacting to them all the same.
I hear you brother but that’s not the point of this whole thread. I would love it if Sim mode worked like you said and after the 3 years or so the wrinkles would have been ironed out and we have...what you describe. The intent is there, but it’s inplemented so badly that the execution portion is not worth the hair pulling and broken controller. It’s as simple as, THATS NOT HOW MADDEN WAS MADE. Until they reboot the series it will never be made that way simply because too many legacy issues stemming from past implementations prevent it. The sim sounds good in theory until you realize EA put you in the madden matrix and only when you take the blue pill, will you realize that there was never a spoon to bend in the the first place...IE...the game isn’t and will never be what the sim the crowd wants because it take a full development cycle to focus on and they aren’t about doing anything like that. Since madden has been calling this game has always been “competitive” mode programmed.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #27
Rye
Rookie

Rye's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah I'm loving competitive after the game I just had. Just as background, I'm in a offline franchise with Jacksonville. Playing All Madden Sim 10 minute quarters. I was 8-0 with the 6th ranked offense and 2nd ranked defense.

I decided after some great games on comp in other modes to try it in my franchise because why not. So I put it on Competitive, still All Madden of course and I actually lost. Not only lost but I couldn't even score a TD. The CPU played soooo much smarter, it's like they actually know where to attack your defense. No constant dump off throws or quick checkdowns, CPU was slinging it. There was a total of 2 penalties and a minor injury in the game too. Player was only out for not even quarter but I was surprised to see flags and an injury on competitive.

Here's some stats and what not. I was a strictly Sim player.. but I'm more and more convinced competitive plays great. If you haven't tried competitive, at least give it a shot. I'm glad I did.20191025_091608_HDR.jpg20191025_091624_HDR.jpg20191025_091637_HDR.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by Rye; 10-25-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

Yea after this update I was pretty much at my wits end until I literally read the fine print of the patch notes. All these specific tunes and what not were made to competitive mode because maybe that’s all they can really do without completely breaking the game in its entirety. Madden just plain isn’t made for it. Some things I just thought of in regards to penalty that used to have to be done back in the NCAA days. If you want more penalties...pause the game just before the play call...switch user to the cpu side and make coaching adjustments to aggressive on the specific points that will be called...then switch back and presto. I haven’t tried this myself but if someone can and report back let me know! Best of luck playing gents. This has been the only thing keeping me from trading it in for COD.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty15
Yea after this update I was pretty much at my wits end until I literally read the fine print of the patch notes. All these specific tunes and what not were made to competitive mode because maybe that’s all they can really do without completely breaking the game in its entirety. Madden just plain isn’t made for it. Some things I just thought of in regards to penalty that used to have to be done back in the NCAA days. If you want more penalties...pause the game just before the play call...switch user to the cpu side and make coaching adjustments to aggressive on the specific points that will be called...then switch back and presto. I haven’t tried this myself but if someone can and report back let me know! Best of luck playing gents. This has been the only thing keeping me from trading it in for COD.

That’s not a bad idea. I wonder if upping the penalty sliders will help enough to notice a difference or not as well

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #30
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

Madden 20 “Sim”/Competitive Mindset going forward

Tonight I’m going to do competitive AP with these penalty sliders:

Offside 99
False start 70
Holding 70
DPI 65
Block in back 55

All other penalties default. I’ll give feedback here. Maybe I’ll even stream it. It’s my last preseason game though so it won’t be too interesting to watch. Mainly I want to see if I get penalties using that.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koosa1027
This is why I say split mode gives you a little bit of both worlds. You still get the things you mentioned but I truly believe from my gameplay last year that gameplay was more on the competitive scale BUT still included those effects you mentioned. I have been wrong before but I'm almost 89% (lol) sure that split mode has an effect on cfm.

~Koosa1027~
You can’t mesh the formulas for each Play Style together.

As the poster was noting, there’s a lot going on in CFM that are separate from Play Now games.

This is also why a Front End roster uploaded into CFM, manipulates the OVR’s some as various CFM only mechanisms are applied to each player (Archetypes, Career Phase, Age Regression, etc...)

CFM aspects take precedence over the Mode itself.

If you have the PC version, you’ll see show CFM has its own thing going on separate from outside of it.

Last edited by khaliib; 10-25-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #32
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiok222
Tonight I’m going to do competitive AP with these penalty sliders:

Offside 99
False start 70
Holding 70
DPI 65
Block in back 55

All other penalties default. I’ll give feedback here. Maybe I’ll even stream it. It’s my last preseason game though so it won’t be too interesting to watch. Mainly I want to see if I get penalties using that.

Careful with that man. Since about the as long as I can think of (Safely 4 years now) EA has notoriously built this game where if you tune the sliders how WE think it should be...they either are completely backwards, or they don’t even effect the intended group for the slider and instead effects who knows what else. Look at the slider thread and just feast your eyes on the craziness. The mere fact no one has any earthly idea what in fact their slider setting does and are settling for “I guess this is what is happening” is an indicator of just how bad EA simply lathered on an old code that they can’t or don’t want to fix. If you have PC, make this game as close as you can to Madden 15 by doing GLOBAL roster edits and effectively turning off weird tendencies. There are some that just flat out work against the ratings IMO. For example:

DLINE tendencies:

Ratings support a good FINESSE and POWER rush move. Yet tendencies favor one over another generally and it cans the rush end to be a one trick pony when in reality a good DE uses all the tools in his tool kit. Oldenburg really makes me want to put his goofy behind in a deep Darce choke while I whisper sweet nothings in his ear because he ALWAYS brags about being a PS OL for the skins so he knows line play yet here we are...4 years later and still same issues and same stagnant Dline moves. That’s just one as well. WR has another one. The whole Possesion and spectacular catch tendency is messing with the ratings. RB and the cover ball trait is ANOTHER one that kills me because it makes no sense and it kills the ratings. Ian Cummings by far was the best developer EA had. Not even close. He at least attempted to fix and acknowledged the shenanigans.

Long rant I know but you get the point. Turn off the helpers and if you can anything that goes against the ratings and watch this game shine...a little...like a black dwarf in the sky...so bright...SMH

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »