Home

Help. Coverage over the middle.

This is a discussion on Help. Coverage over the middle. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
Rookie

bengalboy1991's Arena

OVR: 4

Please give me some feedback. I play with Cincinnati ( no jokes please). How do I defend the pass over the middle. Should I use another playbook? I prefer to control a D lineman and not a cb or lb. can anyone help?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Rookie

newmich's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Help. Coverage over the middle.

I thought about asking this as well. Most completions by the CPU against me are over the middle. I user the MLB but when there are multiple people coming across the middle they always go to the one I am not covering or dump to the underneath route. It gets irritating at times because I run a lot of man cover 2 (GB CBs are better in man than zone) or Tampa 2 with the middle read and 2 hook curl zones with the hot route for hard flats instead of default soft flats.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalboy1991
Please give me some feedback. I play with Cincinnati ( no jokes please). How do I defend the pass over the middle. Should I use another playbook? I prefer to control a D lineman and not a cb or lb. can anyone help?

Control the MLB and sit back a little bit. Don’t position aggressively for the INT/Knockdown unless you really need it. Lay back, and remember to square if you approach before the ball has landed. If they’ve caught it, or have begun to pull it down, hit stick that **** as hard as you can. If they keep doing it and you have a hard hitting MLB he’ll knock the ball loose quite often. A lot of the yards come from the player falling forward, so if you hit them when they pull down you can minimize. The mistake a lot of people make is they try to int too much on short throws, or they try to square late and miss the tackle.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

I don’t know if I have the best answer, but this is what I do:

1) If I’m running nickel I user the nickel CB. It sounds hard but it’s really not. Bump and run coverage is my absolute go to. I use a big nickel corner with high press ratings. I traded 2 firsts and a 5th for Jamal Adams and run a big nickel with him quite often.

2) if your DBs are lined up 7-9 yards off the line of scrimmage you’re already screwed, it simply doesn’t work in this game. Bring them in. I press coverage almost everything because I have 2 elite press corners on the outside.

3) shade inside. I even see my corners get underneath slant routes in man coverage doing this. In this game I’d happily give up outside leverage for the exact reasons in your OP.

4) if i deploy just 2 CBs on whatever play I call I always user the lesser rated one. Once again, sounds hard but it’s not. Just zoom out of your defensive cam so you can see who you’re controlling. Using strafe (L2) to peddle back really helps get into good position.

Hope this helps even just a little bit. Sadly madden user AI can’t cover the middle by itself so you have to improvise. Super frustrating.

Last edited by Rmiok222; 11-18-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiok222
I don’t know if I have the best answer, but this is what I do:

1) If I’m running nickel I user the nickel CB. It sounds hard but it’s really not. Bump and run coverage is my absolute go to. I use a big nickel corner with high press ratings. I traded 2 firsts and a 5th for Jamal Adams and run a big nickel with him quite often.

2) if your DBs are lined up 7-9 yards off the line of scrimmage you’re already screwed, it simply doesn’t work in this game. Bring them in. I press coverage almost everything because I have 2 elite press corners on the outside.

3) shade inside. I even see my corners get underneath slant routes in man coverage doing this. In this game I’d happily give up outside leverage for the exact reasons in your OP.

4) if i deploy just 2 CBs on whatever play I call I always user the lesser rated one. Once again, sounds hard but it’s not. Just zoom out of your defensive cam so you can see who you’re controlling. Using strafe (L2) to peddle back really helps get into good position.

Hope this helps even just a little bit. Sadly madden user AI can’t cover the middle by itself so you have to improvise. Super frustrating.
Yeah with the cam control, pre-play sometimes players are off camera. To zoom out open the audible menu with r3 and you can see the whole field not just around the qb. I press a lot as well with my patriots team cause they have some great cbs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Place a DT in a QB Spy.

Cover 1 Robber is good against inside plays.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 AM   #7
Rookie

If you call zone coverage, you will always have holes in your coverage. It's only a matter of your opponent to find it or not (or get sacked in the meantime).

Not sure you play cpu or human opponents, but try to improve your play calling here too. I know it's not from you as thread creator, but if you call Cover 2 a lot and I see that pattern as your opponent, I would definitely flood the middle and force you to decide between 2 players over the middle.

There is not a single way to defend it better, and a lot of it depends on the players. If you try to press and inside shade with a bad CB and your opponent calls a streak, then you're giving up an easy TD. All about patterns and taking away what you think the opponent will do.

Start using a LB or S though, it's much more powerful and you can jump the routes you think will beat you. It requires training, but then it makes you better.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
Rookie

bengalboy1991's Arena

OVR: 4

You guys rock!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »