Home

Cover 4 Palms

This is a discussion on Cover 4 Palms within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Cover 4 Palms

What is the best zone to call in a 3rd and 15 or longer where your only concern is not giving up a 1st down? I usually go with quarters but it seems like that might not be as safe as I thought
Old 12-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
What is the best zone to call in a 3rd and 15 or longer where your only concern is not giving up a 1st down? I usually go with quarters but it seems like that might not be as safe as I thought
Base Calls would be Quarters vs 2x2, Palms vs open Trips, Cover 6 or Cover 3 Cloud vs. Trips sets where the #1 to the weakside is an in-line TE, and Cover 9 against bunches.

These are *not* hard and fast rules. They are, IMO, the best default options to keep yourself safe deep without giving up too much underneath and all of them can be played with anywhere from 5 to 9 men in the box. This allows you to match up with any offensive formation in the game.

Take Bunch for example. Cover 9 is great until they start hitting you with comebacks and out routes from their solo receiver. If you want to stay in this defense now you *must* press him and expose yourself vertically because that CB will be 1-on-1 on sideline routes.

If you can't safely press you can play Cover 6 (to bracket verticals - always change the cloud to a soft squat) or Cover 6 Invert (so the FS will muddle the read on anything out-breaking) instead.

Some formations like Gun Trips TE or good tight 2x2 sets (there's more than a few) are almost like 5 dimensional games of Rock, Paper, Scissors because you could either want to be in a certain defense on any given snap or also pay dearly for it.

Quick example - Against most tight 2x2 Quarters does an amazing job of locking up Bench all by itself - you get the luxury of playing the checkdown and spying the QB. The corner route gets bracketed.

If they run china or smash off that corner instead you're cooked because the safety is 1-on-1 with him and literally cannot line up in a good position to play it.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Base Calls would be Quarters vs 2x2, Palms vs open Trips, Cover 6 or Cover 3 Cloud vs. Trips sets where the #1 to the weakside is an in-line TE, and Cover 9 against bunches.

These are *not* hard and fast rules. They are, IMO, the best default options to keep yourself safe deep without giving up too much underneath and all of them can be played with anywhere from 5 to 9 men in the box. This allows you to match up with any offensive formation in the game.

Take Bunch for example. Cover 9 is great until they start hitting you with comebacks and out routes from their solo receiver. If you want to stay in this defense now you *must* press him and expose yourself vertically because that CB will be 1-on-1 on sideline routes.

If you can't safely press you can play Cover 6 (to bracket verticals - always change the cloud to a soft squat) or Cover 6 Invert (so the FS will muddle the read on anything out-breaking) instead.

Some formations like Gun Trips TE or good tight 2x2 sets (there's more than a few) are almost like 5 dimensional games of Rock, Paper, Scissors because you could either want to be in a certain defense on any given snap or also pay dearly for it.

Quick example - Against most tight 2x2 Quarters does an amazing job of locking up Bench all by itself - you get the luxury of playing the checkdown and spying the QB. The corner route gets bracketed.

If they run china or smash off that corner instead you're cooked because the safety is 1-on-1 with him and literally cannot line up in a good position to play it.
Great examples of the fact that there's a coverage to combat a specific pass concept and a pass concept to defeat a specific coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I will sometimes play a man zone combo coverage in this situation. I select Over Storm Brave, press my corners, but I make sure to play outside and over-the-top leverage. That way, no press animation takes place so I am not likely to give up streak routes. Then, I hot my linebackers into hook zones. This has been very effective for me, but vulnerable to deep comebacks.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

Thanks man, I don’t mean to hijack but what is cover 9? It looks just like cover 6 to me
Old 12-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
MVP

Cover 6 puts the Tampa 2 to the strong side and Cover 9 puts it to the weak side. This lets me keep using auto flip and always know I'm going to have the coverage I want on the right side of the field without compromising run D.

Making use of this ability is another way to leverage these defenses and ensure you always have help over the top against the top end speed guys. You just call either Cover 6 or Cover 9 - whichever gets the Tampa 2 to their side of the field.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
Banned

All this is amazing information. I’ve been playing this exact way.. I’m a huge Tampa 2 fan being a Bears with Urlacher, Briggs, Lovie fan so I wanted to play a real T2 scheme but that’s borderline nonsense the way players and the computer abuse post routes.. I enjoy scheming and hybrid looks so this 2 High.. Cover 4,6,9 scheme is going to be my new thing. I was just really confused about the difference with Qtrs and Palms. I already knew QTRs but I never knew wat Palms did

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #16
Just started!

Quote:

Shouldn't the outside cb drop to where the corner route is going on smash and china concept because the outside WR is running something underneath?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »