Home

Cover 4 Palms

This is a discussion on Cover 4 Palms within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #25
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Cover 4 Palms

I watched nykia's video, it's a bit long and is more about experimenting. I'd recommend watching Anthony White's (Madden Dev) video instead.
https://youtu.be/_8BzGutlusM

He has 5 really good videos explaining Madden's rules about Cover 4, Cover 4 palms. The rules vary based on trips, doubles etc..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2020, 03:46 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
I'm hoping to use a 2-high defensive scheme in my Madden '21 franchise. Enjoyed finding this old thread. Plan to use Cover 4 Quarters & Palms, Cover 3 Buzz & Cloud, Tampa-2, Cover 6 and Cover 9. Any advice on these coverages in '21?
I'm still using them, they mostly play the same. Quarters now has a box check vs. compressed sets and match principles were put back on to deep half zones from the Cover 6 and Cover 9 plays.

Outside quarter zones aren't playing as well for me 1-on-1 on the outside so I'm mixing in more man coverage against tougher opponents. Cover 1 Robber or 2 Man Under can be dominant if you are smart about what you do with your safeties and zone drops.

With defenders being so slow to change direction double crossing routes, meshes, etc. can be trouble and there isn't much you can do but hope to play better on the next down.

Let's say you like 2 Man Under but you keep getting killed by a deep crosser. Set your curl flat depth to 30 yards and hot route the safety on the appropriate side of the field - no more worrying about the crosser.

If you have a guy with Flat Zone KO at safety they can do damage because they will get awesome breaks on throws to the flat even from depth.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:55 PM   #27
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Someone needs to make a chart of all this, like the coaches have on the sidelines. This is such great info. I have always had a general idea how the coverage's work, but this is next level.

So the question is, do these actually work in Madden? And how is man coverage this year. I've actually only played a few games. No enough to judge the defense.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #28
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Someone needs to make a chart of all this, like the coaches have on the sidelines. This is such great info. I have always had a general idea how the coverage's work, but this is next level.

So the question is, do these actually work in Madden? And how is man coverage this year. I've actually only played a few games. No enough to judge the defense.
Madden YouTuber Deuce Close did this write-up for Madden 19 about all the various types of match coverage in Madden, including various checks against certain offensive formations. It's not up-to-date as there are a few new checks this year, but I assume most of this still applies.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #29
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I loved running palms in last year in 20.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 08-31-2020, 04:12 PM   #30
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I loved running palms in last year in 20.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I ran it a lot too. Mostly on 3rd and long, and it seemed pretty realistic.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #31
Rookie

Wow! So much great information about Cover 4,Cover 6 etc. and what they cover. Thanks so much.
I always do a good mixture of man to man and zone all the while switching the play around. That way I run a C4 play early in the game and run man on one side then I can run the same play again but reverse what side I play man. Same thing with what side I may blitz from out of 3-4. I do have some questions of my own

I'm so concerned with deep posts,crossing croutes,deep out & in routes,I give easy yards up to the RB on swing routes to the flat. How do I properly cover the flat out of these Cover 4,6,9 plays?

People have mentioned making sure they're in base alignment. Dumb question,but does that mean aligning the cover man in direct line with the WR?

In the red zone,there's not as much space to be able
to get open in ,which means smaller windows to throw through. Should we avoid the Tampa 2 coverage in the red zone and use Cover 4 or Cover 6
In the red zone? Does pressing the WR in the red zone make a big difference?

Thanks for any and all information!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2020, 09:37 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcsports4
Wow! So much great information about Cover 4,Cover 6 etc. and what they cover. Thanks so much.
I always do a good mixture of man to man and zone all the while switching the play around. That way I run a C4 play early in the game and run man on one side then I can run the same play again but reverse what side I play man. Same thing with what side I may blitz from out of 3-4. I do have some questions of my own

I'm so concerned with deep posts,crossing croutes,deep out & in routes,I give easy yards up to the RB on swing routes to the flat. How do I properly cover the flat out of these Cover 4,6,9 plays?

People have mentioned making sure they're in base alignment. Dumb question,but does that mean aligning the cover man in direct line with the WR?

In the red zone,there's not as much space to be able
to get open in ,which means smaller windows to throw through. Should we avoid the Tampa 2 coverage in the red zone and use Cover 4 or Cover 6
In the red zone? Does pressing the WR in the red zone make a big difference?

Thanks for any and all information!
Base align is one of the options for default alignment that is found under coaching adjustments, in-game. I'm almost certain you can edit this from the main menu to have a default setting in all modes.

The choices are default, man, and base. Base puts everyone in a predetermined spot on the field. They do not react to offensive alignment at all. I use default which has a ton of overlap with man alignment. Man alignment will do things like send all your CBs to the 3 WR side against formations like Trey Y-Flex. Since I'm not crazy enough to leave LBs or Ss on an island against most TEs I just use default and it works fine. The trade off for me is that my weak side LB is going to have a ton of ground to cover from his quarter flat and the 3 rec gets stressed like crazy this year due to how cumbersome COD is for LBs. Get the best athletes you can on the field in these spots even if they are safeties.

Any benefit you get from base alignment can be achieved by manually moving your safeties presnap. You should be doing this on almost every down. Most defenses have them 15 yards off at the snap and this is too much cushion.

Deep posts should only be giving you problems when they are coming from isolated receivers. The FS is supposed to help on the in-cut but the transition didn't always animate well in the past 2 games. I haven't seen this issue at all playing M21, but it could still be there. You can either user the safety to smooth the transition or call one of Cover 6 or Cover 9, whichever option has the post running toward your deep half zone. The deep half will match the post. If you are getting beaten by deep posts from anywhere else you have match up problems. Move guys or start calling different defenses.

The best call against crossers is Palms. Even if it's a double crosser the AI should match one and you can take the other from the 3-rec. You cannot hesitate at all at the mesh point or you are toast. Practice, practice, practice both to get the stick work down and to hone your own play recognition. You must be able to anticipate when you need to switch and when you don't.

Since you are the 3-rec hook you always stay with number 3 (by outside-in count) and you will pass receivers off for one switch only. One of the best reasons to user this position always is that it's rule are by far the simplest and you can just play and not worry TOO much about your AI teammates unless the opponent really knows what they are doing. Crafty opponents can use hot routes and motions to manipulate your assignment. If you zig when you should've zagged it's a big play and 6 a high % of the time because RAC is easy.

If they are really killing you with deep digs I would play off man against them if at all possible. If it's coming from an isolated receiver you are free to switch him to man coverage from Palms without changing anything for anyone else on the field. You can also bring that FS a little lower into the box so he can insert himself into the play instead of dropping too far back.

Deep outs can get jumped by good man CBs this year, so that's an option. If you want to play zone and you really need to stop an out I would call Cover 2 Sink or split-field play and have the flat zone to the side you are worried about. I would also probably have flat zone depth set to at least 15 yards. If they had deep corners at their disposal I'd go 25 to be safe.

If you set flat zone depth and call Cover 6 or Cover 9 match principles are canceled so you must account for the fact you are playing spot drop cover 4. This need not be a bad thing if you don't over use it. Just bring guys into the box.

Your quarter flat zones should be keeping the flats secure. You won't lock them down, but you should be able to contain them and occasionally get TFLs and maybe even AI picks on good dice rolls if you have good players.

With sound route concepts your man can be taken out of the play so be mindful anytime your opponent completes one to the flat and he's nowhere to be found. You have a scheme problem that must be addressed! Screens can be a real issue if you get stuck on a DL or just get careless with your user.

If they are clearing out your clouds and hitting the flats under them (any play) then you also have a scheme problem. If you have flat depth on you can still get players to jump the flats by setting curl flat depth appropriately (0-5 yards) and hot routing.

I'm not messing too much with zone depth so far. I've stayed in match and my D still plays well enough that I've been competitive in all my H2H so far even though I'm giving up way more yards and points than last year. Offense is much easier this year.

Last edited by stinkubus; 08-31-2020 at 09:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »