Home

Do you expect a patch to fix the CPUís decision making?

This is a discussion on Do you expect a patch to fix the CPUís decision making? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19
The Best Franchise Mode of 2019: NBA 2K20's MyLeague
Worst Trend in Sports Games in 2019: Single-Player Modes Getting Shafted
Who wins Super Bowl LIV? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 12-09-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
Rookie

BigOrangeVol4Life's Arena

OVR: 0
Do you expect a patch to fix the CPUís decision making?

In my opinion, that’s the biggest issue holding Madden 20 back from being the best game in the series to date.

When it’s 3rd down and say 6, 7, 8 or so, don’t run the ball. Send a receiver at least to the first down marker and try to pick up that first down. Few things are more frustrating in this game than watching the CPU throw the ball on first and second down, be faced with 3rd and 4, only to have to punt after running the ball and picking up 2 or being stopped for a loss.

Also, have more urgency at the end of the 2nd quarter and toward the end of the 4th quarter to score a TD first and foremost unless you’re up late in the game and trying to ice it. Settle for field goals if you can’t find the end zone. Don’t try some ridiculous 60 yard field goal. Punt the ball if it’s out of range and flip field position.

Was a patch ever released for Madden 19 and other games in the series late in the season to fix these things?

Other features are needed for perfection, but fixing these problems would make Madden 20 the best in the series. Please do it EA.

Do programmers read these posts or is there a more direct line to suggest this?

Last edited by BigOrangeVol4Life; 12-09-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Do you expect a patch to fix the CPUís decision making?

Everything you wrote is accurate. But Iíve given up on patches. Yeah... they till fix decision making but then ruin 3 other things. Iím to the point where I just say leave the game alone and letís try again in 21
Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

This has been an issue in almost all versions of the game over the past years. Whoever wrote the end of half and end of game code is obviously not too football savvy. It leans on regular down and situation code as opposed to the items you mentioned.

It needs to be redone and recoded but EA doesn't do major recodes in a patch I don't believe. Maybe they will. Even if they tightened up some of the logic it would help a lot. They seem to ignore this section of the game for some unknown reason. Mainly because anything that has to do with CPU logic takes a back seat to fixes for human vs human logic I suspect.

Hopefully they really fix this for 2020.

C
Old 12-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

No, I don't expect it and not sure when to expect it.

1. We will see when we will see. Show me don't tell me/wait and see mode etc
B. We aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.
2. We aren't going to jump on the hype train yearly .
C. Better late than never
3. It was in before, can't call it new

Last edited by roadman; 12-09-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I think they've made strides as the overall play-calling has improved a fair bit as they continue working on the playbooks. Obviously, adjusting gameplay sliders does have an impact here - so YMMV. They still need to zero-out the # of stars for 4-verts in the team playbooks - that would greatly help as it would keep them in the books but effectively keep the CPU from calling them.

The CPU attempting long FGs is an issue going back to last gen - though it is more pronounced on AP this year (previously, it was much worse on AM...this year is about the same).

The clock management is worse than it ever has been because of the decision to remove the walk-up to the LOS (which the devs touted as an improvement so don't expect them to revert back anytime soon). The manner in which they handled no-huddle in particular was poorly designed with respect to the AI. I don't know that there is a solution that will work for both the AI and not be exploitable by the online audience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
MVP

pimpycraig's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
No, I don't expect it and not she when to expect it.
Uhh... What?
Old 12-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
Uhh... What?
Insert sure instead of she

1. We will see when we will see. Show me don't tell me/wait and see mode etc
B. We aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.
2. We aren't going to jump on the hype train yearly .
C. Better late than never
3. It was in before, can't call it new
Old 12-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
FADE 2 BLACK

DaReal Milticket's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
This has been an issue in almost all versions of the game over the past years. Whoever wrote the end of half and end of game code is obviously not too football savvy. It leans on regular down and situation code as opposed to the items you mentioned.

It needs to be redone and recoded but EA doesn't do major recodes in a patch I don't believe. Maybe they will. Even if they tightened up some of the logic it would help a lot. They seem to ignore this section of the game for some unknown reason. Mainly because anything that has to do with CPU logic takes a back seat to fixes for human vs human logic I suspect.

Hopefully they really fix this for 2020.

C
Actually Capa it's really not hard to do at all. Modders on the PC already have changed & improved the AI decision making before half & end of games and from what range to kick fgs from etc. Anyone can do this on PC. It would probably take EA about 20 minutes to change what they have in the game currently. All it is is a script that if A happens then they do B, but if the C happens then they do D.You're probably right that this takes a back seat for EA, not sure why it's a simple fix.

Madden 20 (PC)
Shadow Point - Oculus Rift S (PC)
Dark Days - Oculus Rift S (PC)

"Yesterday don't matter, if its Gone"

Last edited by DaReal Milticket; 12-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »