Home

Question on Pass Def react Slider...

This is a discussion on Question on Pass Def react Slider... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Question on Pass Def react Slider...

Simple question I can never figure out. I realize if I want a tighter tough Defense, I can set the Pass Coverage slider to 95.. But I have tried setting the the Pass Defense Reaction Time slider from 0 to 99 and I really don't see a difference. I have read several different opinions on this slider. This is for CPU vs CPU.. or User, and PTM vs CPU off-line franchise style of games.

So does anyone have an actual answer as to which setting would be used to make a tighter or better defense.. Using ALL MADDEN, would a higher ratings number be more effective or a lower number.

Some have said, Using ALL MADDEN, a lower setting like 0 to 25 is better, And some have said using ALL PRO, a higher number setting like 75-99 is better.. I hope someone can answer this once and for all.. Tks in advance. What does this slider actually do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Question on Pass Def react Slider...

I always understood this slider to function like this:

The lower you make it, they will react more slowly to the pass and will bite on play action stuff. The lower setting have them favoring run stop.

The higher you make it, they forego the run and try to lock down the pass.

That could be completely wrong but is what I believe I read a few years ago. Hope the slider gurus weigh in here...

C
Old 12-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
Simple question I can never figure out. I realize if I want a tighter tough Defense, I can set the Pass Coverage slider to 95.. But I have tried setting the the Pass Defense Reaction Time slider from 0 to 99 and I really don't see a difference. I have read several different opinions on this slider. This is for CPU vs CPU.. or User, and PTM vs CPU off-line franchise style of games.

So does anyone have an actual answer as to which setting would be used to make a tighter or better defense.. Using ALL MADDEN, would a higher ratings number be more effective or a lower number.

Some have said, Using ALL MADDEN, a lower setting like 0 to 25 is better, And some have said using ALL PRO, a higher number setting like 75-99 is better.. I hope someone can answer this once and for all.. Tks in advance. What does this slider actually do.
I know I am the weirdo that likes to keep everything default. But ignore that for a second.

Even if I were going to adjust sliders, this is one I'd leave alone. They will become more reactive at values above 50 (even at 51)....but to a fault. They will be over-reactive - leading to either "locking on" the QB to try to play the ball (ignoring the receiver) or they will constantly overplay their zones. Other settings can further aggravate this issue (using a higher INJ slider or raising QBA above 50).

Lower values will make them less reactive in playing the ball in the air but also seems to globally impact defender reactions....so the run game can quickly spiral out of control.

The quickest (and most effective) way to improve pass coverage is to raise the QBA value (you'd be amazed at the coverage at 99 QBA).
Old 12-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I know I am the weirdo that likes to keep everything default. But ignore that for a second.

Even if I were going to adjust sliders, this is one I'd leave alone. They will become more reactive at values above 50 (even at 51)....but to a fault. They will be over-reactive - leading to either "locking on" the QB to try to play the ball (ignoring the receiver) or they will constantly overplay their zones. Other settings can further aggravate this issue (using a higher INJ slider or raising QBA above 50).

Lower values will make them less reactive in playing the ball in the air but also seems to globally impact defender reactions....so the run game can quickly spiral out of control.
Well, I'm the weirdo who only adjusts user sliders, except for CPU run blocking. I believe this method allows for the ability to tune certain aspects of the game, while avoiding unwanted triggered animations that don't realistically reflect the changes made.

I completely agree with your findings with regards to Pass Reaction Time slider as having a global impact. I've found it better to think of this slider as a general defensive reaction time setting. I believe this slider has a significant impact on both pass rush and run defense, since I feel it effects how quickly defensive players understand (react) whether or not they are dealing with either a run or pass play.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:11 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 2

Thanks for the replies.. BUT..Josh.. Am I understanding you to say for better pass coverage, Leave the PDR slider at 50,, But raise the QBA to 99.. I have the CPU and Human QBA slider around 30 for each.. And even at that, these QB's are completing 80 to 95 percent of there passes. Hell Newton went 29 of 30 and Mayfield hit 38 of 43 in a cpu game last night this is on all Madden... I would have assumed the 30 OBA rating would have made the completion percentage around 60 to 70..

I actually get better games playing CPU vs CPU games in Pro mode. All pro is erratic. and nearly all games are high scoring and always comes down to the last couple of seconds. In pro, i get different outcomes.. But everyone has told me for the best CPU. Vs CPU or PTM type of games, to use All madden.. But I just can't find a balance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

I find that there is really no way to get QBs to throw in the 50's and 60's like the QBs of yore did back in 60's and 70's unless you edit their ratings for short, medium, long accuracy and their specific awareness.

The slider just does not do enough realistically if you put it down to 25 or even 10. It will help, but the misses will look very unnatural. That slider is more of an awareness mod than an accuracy mod in my opinion.

EA rates QBs too high, but I understand why people don't want to get into editing player ratings when they run a CFM.

C
Old 12-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
Thanks for the replies.. BUT..Josh.. Am I understanding you to say for better pass coverage, Leave the PDR slider at 50,, But raise the QBA to 99.. I have the CPU and Human QBA slider around 30 for each.. And even at that, these QB's are completing 80 to 95 percent of there passes. Hell Newton went 29 of 30 and Mayfield hit 38 of 43 in a cpu game last night this is on all Madden... I would have assumed the 30 OBA rating would have made the completion percentage around 60 to 70..

I actually get better games playing CPU vs CPU games in Pro mode. All pro is erratic. and nearly all games are high scoring and always comes down to the last couple of seconds. In pro, i get different outcomes.. But everyone has told me for the best CPU. Vs CPU or PTM type of games, to use All madden.. But I just can't find a balance.
I'm not necessarily advocating setting QBA to 99 (but rather that value being a quick test to clearly demonstrate its impact with all other settings at default)....but yes, lowering QBA also decreases coverage effectiveness to a degree (while raising it has the opposite effect). As capa pointed out, sliders alone will not lower comp % enough. You might get a couple mis-fires here and there...but the lower you go on QBA, the more likely the CPU will get into a more conservative approach and dink-dunk vs throwing more (difficult) intermediate passes....so the net effect will be that they are worse.

I can't speak much to CPU vs CPU, but I can totally see Pro being better (animations and variety are always better on Pro). If I were going to watch a game, I'd probably run a 100% straight default setup on Pro....let ratings drive outcomes....things would very likely even-out over a large sample size (70-80+ games).
Old 12-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Speaking of cpu vs cpu gameplay... I run with pro 100 percent default no adjustment..rhe only thing I change was the quarter length to 10 minutes quarters with acc clock off ..and I turn on NFL live playbooks..seeing the best and most realistic gameplay....give it try cpu vs cpu guys.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »