Home

Are there any M16 players still out there?

This is a discussion on Are there any M16 players still out there? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Are there any M16 players still out there?

(Speaking strictly about gameplay here....)

M16 is the most balanced Madden (not coincidentally, it was the last Madden tuned with INJ set to 50 by default in both the MM and CFM). The great thing about M16 is that you can leave sliders alone, turn off the gameplay assists, and set CFM autosubs to 60/80 - and you are golden. The QB AI is still the best in the series and penalties/fatigue are incredibly well-done.

But, M20 has surpassed it in many areas. Coverage dynamics are more complex and realistic, player movement is better, and CPU play-calling is a lot better. With M20 getting rid of the "tackle battle" crap of 17-19, another advantage of 16 over recent games has evaporated.

If we could combine M16's QB AI, penalty and fatigue systems with the rest of M20's gameplay, it would be one heckuva game.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #18
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
If you waited this long might as well wait until it's in the EA Access vault.
I didn't like 17 enough that when 18 came out I waited and upon hearing late patches improved things I got it around Superbowl week for $12 digital.Thats what I would recommend at this point.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #19
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

M16 is the most balanced Madden (not coincidentally, it was the last Madden tuned with INJ set to 50 by default in both the MM and CFM). The great thing about M16 is that you can leave sliders alone, turn off the gameplay assists, and set CFM autosubs to 60/80 - and you are golden. The QB AI is still the best in the series and penalties/fatigue are incredibly well-done.

But, M20 has surpassed it in many areas. Coverage dynamics are more complex and realistic, player movement is better, and CPU play-calling is a lot better. With M20 getting rid of the "tackle battle" crap of 17-19, another advantage of 16 over recent games has evaporated.

If we could combine M16's QB AI, penalty and fatigue systems with the rest of M20's gameplay, it would be one heckuva game.
Playing 1990 Season Replay again (after winning the Super Bowl with Marino and the Dolphins). This time we will use Bill Walsh led 49ers who not only have the great Joe Montana, but a very good Steve Young as well!

I fired the game up last night after reading this thread. It is really good. The gameplay is simply the best. But Madden 20 is also excellent and best for modern roster franchise play.

So I will play both. Madden 16 has amazing classic rosters from Percussion (1986 and 1999) and 1990 from JohnEKool.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 12-26-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
I didn't like 17 enough that when 18 came out I waited and upon hearing late patches improved things I got it around Superbowl week for $12 digital.Thats what I would recommend at this point.
This is exactly what I'm doing...although will wait a few weeks for what traditionally is the last patch (although I know sometimes they do really late patches, like the May patch back for M16).
Old 12-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
IMO '18 fully patched is a better version of '17.Qb AI improved slightly.They finally started scrambling again but if I remember they took too many sacks still.
In 17 I couldn't get past Cam Newton acting like there's a brick wall at the line of scrimmage with 20 yards in front of him and just chucking the ball downfield.Pursuit angles were bad OOTB so the running game OP.

I tried hard to like one of those 3 versions also but it never took me long to go back to 16.
Same here. I wanted to desperately for at least M17 and M18 to be better, but I always gravitated back to M16. I think it's simply because in M17 they started to improve the UI and CFM. I have so many house rules and such in M16 for franchise. I always say if only M17 or M18 with franchise played as M16, I'd be in heaven.

I can't believe they never fixed the QB scrambling issue in M17 when it was called out immediately after launch. But honestly, my biggest issue with M17 and M18 patched is that gameplay is boring to me. Just too easy. My 76 rated Jets should not be badly beating 86 rated Green Bay on the road, for instance. It should feel like at least have to work hard for the win. M16 most games I do have to earn it on AP default.

Pick your poison, I guess, but until I try out M20, I'll stick with M16. I'm just stoked that I'm not the only person who remembers M16 so fondly!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

I hear you. If only we could create a Frankstein monster for Madden, mixing the elements of the versions we love...

I will say, the only thing about M16 game play that drives me crazy is the lack of fumbles, particularly my own USER fumbles. The CPU never seems to force fumbles. Where I can average at least 1/game with the hit stick and strip, the CPU maybe forces 1-2/year. Only way to fix that is likely sliders and then that creates a whole other mess.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #23
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

I actually went back to Madden 19 and like it WAY better than 20 as far as game play & player movement is concerned. It's a breath of fresh air seeing players line up again pre-snap, playing on my preferred game speed (very slow), refs, & animations seem cleaner. Actually, see more tackling variety in 19 that I don't see in 20. Overall the game feels more polished to me than 20. I do however miss the passing trajectories & the new plays. Only thing that I can say about 16 is the lack of editing & modding of course is a huge miss for me, but I remember the game playing well.

Playing:

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 12-27-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
I actually went back to Madden 19 and like it WAY better than 20 as far as game play & player movement is concerned. It's a breath of fresh air seeing players line up again pre-snap, playing on my preferred game speed (very slow), refs, & animations seem cleaner. Actually, see more tackling variety in 19 that I don't see in 20. Overall the game feels more polished to me than 20. I do however miss the passing trajectories & the new plays. Only thing that I can say about 16 is the lack of editing & modding of course is a huge miss for me, but I remember the game playing well.
So far, M20 has been the most fun I've had with Madden since 16 and 17. However, one of these days, I'd like give M19 a fair shake with iMac's trait edits to see how gameplay compares.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »