Home

best way to play madden franchise with a bad team?

This is a discussion on best way to play madden franchise with a bad team? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

OVR: 0
best way to play madden franchise with a bad team?

I plan on playing w the Giants, and they're garbage.

However, I do want to check out how the Madden 21 game plays, along with the commentary updates on new players on new teams/rookies etc.

how do people recommend playing?

I might want to try to WIN games (even though its doubtful wed do much in the game), develop my players, but at the same time, the best way to get better as a team is the draft.

Wouldn't the easiest way be to just trade most of my players w cap space for draft picks? Im not sure how to play this season
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: best way to play madden franchise with a bad team?

I would play some of you games to help your young guys develop since you'll probably get more xp that way. So yeah I'd develop Andrew Thomas & Will Hernandez on your line and Baker & McKinney in the secondary, And maybe look to trade Leonard Williams for a 1st or 2nd rd pick if you can get one
Old 08-04-2020, 03:50 AM   #3
Rookie

I always play as the Giants.

Despite it all, if you are using 2021 draft classes then id consider two trains of thought.

1. Sign Clowney, tank the season, cut solder and trade up for Trevor Lawrence.
2. Develop DJ and take WR Rondale Moore in the first 8 picks.

No matter what you want to play McKinney in a lot of cover 4 where you can user him. I managed to get him to DPOY in his rookie season.

In order to move up the draft I let Tomlinson and Carter go. YMMV.

I also trade away Golden Tate and see what I can get for Sterling Shepard in year 2/3.

Bradberry is also someone who eats cap and doesnt cover his guy so get rid of him when you can.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
MVP

tru11's Arena

Drunk would be my best suggestion.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
Drunk would be my best suggestion.
Spoiler

*Clears throat*

Let's not derail the thread.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWarrior
I plan on playing w the Giants, and they're garbage.

However, I do want to check out how the Madden 21 game plays, along with the commentary updates on new players on new teams/rookies etc.

how do people recommend playing?

I might want to try to WIN games (even though its doubtful wed do much in the game), develop my players, but at the same time, the best way to get better as a team is the draft.

Wouldn't the easiest way be to just trade most of my players w cap space for draft picks? Im not sure how to play this season
I ran two separate Dolphins rebuild franchises last year and they went similarly.

First, ALWAYS play every game, especially in the first couple of seasons. The whole point of a rebuild is to lose, A LOT. Winning isn't fun, so the most enjoyment comes from losing those games. When you start winning, it's a LOT more rewarding. (I'm not being facetious here)

As for building, in my first Dolphins chise, I did a handful of key player trades for draft picks (this was before the Dolphins did this IRL). I would offer up guys, find the best CPU offer, and then dial it back more to their favor (so if they offered me a 2nd and a 4th; I'd re-propose a 2nd and a 6th or something like that). Re-builds should be painful, not easy. For Free Agency, I limited myself greatly, usually only signing 1 80+ overall player per off-season. I built up through the draft (using game-generated classes only)....and it paid-off in Year 5.

My second 'chise was similar, but I manually edited the base CFM roster file with the real-life preseason trades for all teams. I followed a similar approach, but only signed "filler" free agents. Again, it took 4 or 5 seasons to begin taking off.

This year, I plan on one house rule - Coach firing must be on and you MUST commit to a playoff berth (or Super Bowl appearance) every season. You get fired, you get fired. You don't walk into your boss' office and say, "Hi, I'm going to be a poor employee this year, is that OK?". Winners strive to succeed regardless of the circumstances.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Coach mode, Play the moments. I personally skip the defensive moments because I'm a HC with an offensive background. That's all I do. I like sim speed at normal so I can watch drives unfold between moments. Helps stay engaged with the game. I'm currently playing '19 but am going to re-download '20 when I get home. I can tell you that you will definitely struggle. I'm sitting at 1-3 in year 1 with NYG in '19 playing the way I mentioned above.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #8
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Coach mode, Play the moments. I personally skip the defensive moments because I'm a HC with an offensive background. That's all I do. I like sim speed at normal so I can watch drives unfold between moments. Helps stay engaged with the game. I'm currently playing '19 but am going to re-download '20 when I get home. I can tell you that you will definitely struggle. I'm sitting at 1-3 in year 1 with NYG in '19 playing the way I mentioned above.
I agree on using Play the Moments. If I play too many games (especially on default All-Pro), franchise mode simply becomes too easy. I turned the Bengals into a dynasty within 2 years in Madden 20. Yes, part of it was a complete retooling of the roster. But, it should not have been that easy, especially in a division with Lamar Jackson and the Steelers defense.

My suggestion is using Play the Moments for all but 4 games. Pick 4 games you give yourself to play in the regular season. For me, it's usually an opener, a big primetime game, a rivalry game, and a playoff push game at the end of the year.

I think this keeps things challenging enough to keep it interesting. That will be my goal with the Las Vegas Raiders this year!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »