Home

What's happened to the CPU scrambling QBs?

This is a discussion on What's happened to the CPU scrambling QBs? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2020, 06:58 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: What's happened to the CPU scrambling QBs?

Not sure if same in CFM but in Play Now if you change the traits to Scrambler he will take off. If you also change Sense Pressure to Paranoid he will run almost too often.

C
Old 01-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #34
Banned

IcedCoffee1983's Arena

OVR: 0

Just played Baltimore in my CFM, and Lamar Jackson ran just one time.

Definitely CPU QB’s not running is a problem.

There was one play where he had a wide open field and could have had 15 yards guaranteed. Instead he just stood there tossed it away to avoide the sack once my LE got near him.

It’s going to be a huge bummer if they do not patch this and leave it this way. Really ruins it not having dual threat QB’s exist in football in the year 2020.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:16 AM   #35
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Just because Mahommes has brown skin doesn’t mean he’s a scrambler. He averages slightly over 2 runs a game averaging about 5 yards. This may or may not include kneel downs.

But I do understand if there’s 15 yards of grass he’d probably take it over a sack, but by no means would I call him a scrambler.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #36
Gaming Avenger

Ren The Conqueror's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning2Harrison
Before reading this I played a 2020 preseason game in which Kelly Bryant was a backup for my opponent. He scrambled 4 times for 40+ yards. I checked, and his archetype is Improviser but he has Paranoid sense pressure.
I have noticed and tested this out as well (earlier in the cycle).

The sense pressure trait seems to determine whether or not the CPU QBs will take off or not... Paranoid seems to be the only one that allows regular scrambling.

The potential downside here is that they may be more apt to abandon their reads and progressions a bit too early, if they begin to feel or sense pressure.

We don't want a guy like Russell Wilson to look off his first target, and then immediately take off...

The sad part is, CPU QB play is quite a bit better on fully patched Madden 19.

Hopefully EA is working on this... and bringing back regular off-ball injuries...

MLB The Show 19 (PS5)
NBA Live 19 (PS5)
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Madden NFL 11 (PS3)

Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/ren_the_conqueror
Old 01-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #37
Banned

IcedCoffee1983's Arena

I’m getting off ball injuries.

In a CFM game last night I lost my LE and the CPU lost their LG. Both were separate plays that were off ball.

They do seem wayyyy toned down though. It’s like the realistic off ball injuries from M19 were cut by 50%. They definitely still happen though.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 6

Been re-rating a 1995 roster. Paranoid seems to be good for guys that don’t scramble all that much. Most ive seen a paranoid guy scramble was 4 times i think. It was Jeff Blake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider_Ren
I have noticed and tested this out as well (earlier in the cycle).

The sense pressure trait seems to determine whether or not the CPU QBs will take off or not... Paranoid seems to be the only one that allows regular scrambling.

The potential downside here is that they may be more apt to abandon their reads and progressions a bit too early, if they begin to feel or sense pressure.

We don't want a guy like Russell Wilson to look off his first target, and then immediately take off...

The sad part is, CPU QB play is quite a bit better on fully patched Madden 19.

Hopefully EA is working on this... and bringing back regular off-ball injuries...

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Old 01-22-2020, 02:25 AM   #39
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Just because Mahommes has brown skin doesn’t mean he’s a scrambler. He averages slightly over 2 runs a game averaging about 5 yards. This may or may not include kneel downs.

But I do understand if there’s 15 yards of grass he’d probably take it over a sack, but by no means would I call him a scrambler.
I wouldn't call him a scrambler either, but it's actually a bit more than that...I posted his 18 and 19 numbers a couple pages up, but it was nearly 4 rushes per game in 18, and just over 3 (over 14 games, several of which he either had a bad ankle or was still coming back from the knee) in 19.

He nearly NEVER has designed runs, because, well, all rumor to the contrary, Andy Reid isn't an idiot, but his mobility is a big part of his game...that's part of why his performance was off when he was dealing with the ankle. It's just that he's usually scrambling to create passing opportunities rather than taking off.

Also, bear in mind that not a lot of teams play man against that receiving corps. When they do (like we saw these last 2 playoff games), he'll take off downfield a lot more...he was 7 for 53 against Houston and 8 for 53 against Tennessee because 1) he's fully healthy now and 2) both teams played more man than KC usually sees.

Again, I agree he's not Lamar Jackson or Russell Wilson, but he's not Joe Flacco, either.

Last edited by tg88forHOF; 01-22-2020 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #40
MVP

After playing a handful of games, I have noticed a marked decrease in CPU QB scrambling as well. However, the biggest issue I am encountering is the general lack of awareness in the pocket. Often times, the CPU QB will hit his back foot and then turn in a circle if his read is not there. He will then stand, as if stuck in quicksand, while attempting to scan the field again, even if he has room to move out of harms way. This is resulting in my ability to register 5 sacks on avg per-game, whereas I was seeing 2-3 as the norm previously.

I never noticed an inordinate amount of CPU scrambling pre-patch, but QB's would be usually aware of pressure, based on ratings and traits, and react to it by sliding or moving around in the pocket and then throwing. Just not seeing that happen much now.

I understand that EA's focus pertaining to gameplay is based on H2H. However, it would be appreciated if they would test the results of title updates against the CPU to make sure folks who play the game in this manner aren't subjected to additional gameplay issues.

Last edited by edgevoice; 01-22-2020 at 07:04 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »