Home

Chiefs Super Bowl Trick Play

This is a discussion on Chiefs Super Bowl Trick Play within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17
Chiefs Super Bowl Trick Play

Is the the trick play that the Chiefs ran in the Super Bowl in the game on the Chiefs Live Playbooks? If so, what formation is it under?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Chiefs Super Bowl Trick Play

Its not in anyone's playbook. What they did was shift into a Singlewing formation mostly used way before the forward pass was cool. The spinning was nothing more than a formation shift that had the QB motion to behind the RG to either take the snap or fake as if he got the snap as the TB got the direct snap. I coach football and have this buried in my archives somewhere, maybe I'll upload it to give you a better idea of what we all saw. I was elated to see Andy Reid pull this outta his bag
Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

I highly doubt we see this added, and if we do it won’t be until madden 21. I’ve been really disappointed with the playbooks this year and feel like the live playbook feature has been largely under utilized by EA.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
I highly doubt we see this added, and if we do it won’t be until madden 21. I’ve been really disappointed with the playbooks this year and feel like the live playbook feature has been largely under utilized by EA.

Having to enable it every single game is such a joke
Old 02-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Having to enable it every single game is such a joke
It's annoying, but it is what it is.

I'm more annoyed with how many playbooks are still largely untouched when they made it sound like they would be continuously rolling out updates all year as they see what teams are running.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
It's annoying, but it is what it is.

I'm more annoyed with how many playbooks are still largely untouched when they made it sound like they would be continuously rolling out updates all year as they see what teams are running.

They did add the Wasp play where Mahomes hit Hill for 44 yards on 3rd and 15.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
They did add the Wasp play where Mahomes hit Hill for 44 yards on 3rd and 15.
They added one play because Tyreek Hill posted about it on twitter, and it's cool they got it in. But there were several teams with new coaches/schemes this year and their playbooks hardly got touched. The Cardinals are probably one of the biggest examples, their playbook feels so unfinished. In the news cycle before release they made it seem like they would be frequently updating playbooks throughout the season. And we got a few updates but not nearly as frequently as they made it sound like they would.

Not to mention that wasp play to my understanding was something they only ran the one time in the super bowl. But it's one they had set up all year by running a different concept out of the same look. I'd rather their focus be on getting some of these teams playing closer to how they have all season with the playbooks.

Last edited by Shosum13; 02-08-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
Banned

I think Live Playbooks is a neat idea that was never going to be the huge impact some envisioned it to be. It's just not reasonable to expect massive changes in playbooks and plays, and expect the game to be balanced at all.

Live, I would expect that Wasp play to be overpowered and probably dropped from the game, but it is fun to get it in while it is a topic.

The problem is, EA builds its sports games from the ground up to focus on competition, which is a good thing. Most people that play sports games are doing it because they love the sport and want a chance to feel the thrill of competition in it. Many, many of the things that get suggested here would hurt competitive play in favor of a paint-by-number coloring book that many sim gamers want.

Here, folks want that other play because it looked cool, and would be fun to do. But a goal-line direct snap preceded by all the players doing a spin move in the backfield that adds distraction to what the defense is thinking about would be a damn hard play to balance. I also don't know that they have the animations available pre-snap to pull that off without a lot more programming. They would also have hard time programming defenses on how to respond to the pre-snap motion so that it has an effect, but it's not overpowered, or underpowered and a waste of time.

You see the same stuff in the other games where devs add in stuff to update the players and plays throughout the season, but no one ever considers it done well. And it's probably not done well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »