Home

Madden has a serious player vs CPU problem

This is a discussion on Madden has a serious player vs CPU problem within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Madden has a serious player vs CPU problem

It's just not gratifying or satisfying. There's certain plays and concepts that are essentially guaranteed success. Crossing routes, stretch plays, drags, etc that if you use it just feels like a hollow victory. But eliminating these limits your playcalls so much. It's not fun. CPU defenses need a boost. I want to feel like I won a chess match, not beat a brain dead CPU that is easily taken advantage of or worse being unsure if I made a great playcall or read or Madden happened?

I just want satisfying gameplay that feels rewarding.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Madden has a serious player vs CPU problem

That’s how I feel when I have the ball on my opponents goaline. If I call a run I get an all out goaline blitz no matter the formation, but if I audible I get an easy TD pass
Old 02-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Feels like there is too much AI manipulation versus CPU. Example - first series of a game the CPU will being playing its strongest, same with the last couple minutes at the end of half and game. This indicates a calculated manipulation in the CPU AI. With that though, I am not saying this is bad, per se, I am using the example as a basis for my position that this same game mechanic which does replicate how many teams play in the NFL is also being used in situation where the AI creates unbelievable results.

The AI consistently makes tackles 1 yard short of a TD on 1st down in key situations, for example. This can lead to very unbelievable animations and destroy any illusion of momentum and physics.

It feels like the CPU calls plays which best match the plays called by the human player. This isn't completely bad for game play as it can create a more challenging situation. The negative, I feel, is it promotes the identification and use of AI busting plays. I also feel the MUT solos, the requirements to pass a solo challenge promotes the search for, and use of AI busting plays.

Example - a typical solo challenge may require the player to rush for a TD within 10 plays. To receive the maximum "stars" the player must make the TD in 1 or maybe 2 plays; all this from their own 1 yard line. Of course, on solos that require rushing goals, we see teams such as the Panthers or Patriots or Vikings as your defensive opponent. This is a clue to players, IMO, of which teams to search to locate good run defenders.

If you are unsure what makes a good player on offense or defense, look at which teams are used in MUT solos and pick the appropriate players to fill needs on your created team. This works across game modes.

In conclusion, there are some negatives and positives to the game play mechanics manipulation in Madden. Lets hope M21 sees a more streamlined and believable method for adjusting for the meta plays which users locate and abuse.

4-3 over fronts should stop runs just as effectively as 3-4 odd.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I understand some issues with CPU and AI on the human side as just being a necessity. Take CB Richard Sherman for example; he is a very solid CB still today; in MUT for example, he is slow, but has a very high Zone rating. The game engine has to somehow represent his ability of a coverage corner while also preventing him from getting beat by a WR with 90+ speed but low route running. So, from what I have witnessed, Sherman's 89-90 Zone on his 86 or 87 OVR card, will appear to run faster than his speed rating as it's zone rating takes effect.

I get this manipulation; it can be dissected and reasoned as far as its necessity within the game.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

No doubt, AI playcalling needs a boost, no doubt, it's been a sore spot for years.

However, this is my first year that not ALL drag and crossing routes are open every darn play. I've had to go to option 2 or 3 in many games because there are cb's/lbs covering wr's and te's on those routes like duct tape.

Also agree with the 4-3 3-4 fronts that 4th quarter brought up.

Everyone plays differently with modes, sliders and penalties and that will have a effect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

The cpu plays a lot of bend dont break type of defense, its very hard to throw anything past 10 yards, unless its an IN route where your player gets that animation separation. But like the person above me said drag routes and other short routes arent that easy this year, in fact i found that even if my wr gets opened from it my qb will throw it in no mans land lol.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

Another gripe i kinda have with the cpu is the awareness on the offense. If im user covering their tight end they will take a coverage sack because they are so prone to throwing to the tight end
Old 02-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsfan24
The cpu plays a lot of bend dont break type of defense, its very hard to throw anything past 10 yards, unless its an IN route where your player gets that animation separation. But like the person above me said drag routes and other short routes arent that easy this year, in fact i found that even if my wr gets opened from it my qb will throw it in no mans land lol.
I’ve been having a different experience with the CPU defense than you have. Yes it’s harder to throw the deep ball because coverage is tighter but the CPU isn’t playing bend don’t break against me. I actually face a lot of man blitzes against the CPU where they usually don’t even give me the time to hit the deep route. I’ve even faced different pinch buck blitz variations 2 or 3 times in a row on a couple of series. I don’t know what skill level you play on and maybe the it’s the fact I play on all madden is a factor in the aggressiveness of the CPU. This year if you’re trying to throw the deep ball speed definitely feels like more of a factor, and you have to wait until you catch them in man or cover 3 where that outside CB is on an island. Against Cover 2 both man and zone a post route splitting the safeties is also usually a good bet, usually helps if you have a deep route outside of that to get the attention of the safety. With underneath routes it’s about spotting which coverage your facing and knowing where the holes are in it underneath.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »