Home

What trigger a development trait upgrade opportunity?

This is a discussion on What trigger a development trait upgrade opportunity? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: What trigger a development trait upgrade opportunity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
It definitely seems to be pretty random, I’ve seen them triggered after huge games and after performances that make you go huh? In my online league I use the Eagles and had been trying to build up JJ Arcega-Whiteside. His rookie year I had a couple of big games with him but didn’t have a huge year since I had DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Ertz. His second season though I had something like 84 catches and 1300 yards with a good amount of tds and didn’t trigger a single breakout. Even after several 100+ yard and multiple td games I couldn’t get a breakout to get him to superstar. But after a game where I posted something like a 5/65/1 stat line with Nelson Agholor he gets a breakout. After drafting a star dev WR in the 1st round the following season I was also able to get a breakout for him within a few games of his rookie season to get him to superstar. I have since given up on the Arcega-Whiteside experiment and traded him to another team since I don’t have enough targets to go around with how many weapons I have.

I also had a similar experience trying to get a breakout to get Miles Sanders to superstar. I had something like 6 or 7 weeks in a row with 100+ yards and multiple tds and didn’t trigger a single breakout. During that span I watched another user in the league get a breakout for their RB literally after a 5 carry for 8 yards and 1 td performance. It wasn’t until the end of that season after yet another huge performance with multiple tds that I finally got the superstar breakout opportunity for Sanders.

As frustrating as it can be that its seemingly pretty random, it’s a good thing that it is. The way breakouts were handled already promotes force feeding as it is. If the system to determine breakouts was purely stat based it would be a nightmare in online leagues. Plus without it being random it would tend to favor the top teams in the league which just keeps helping the rich get richer instead of promoting the parity you see in the NFL. Although even being seemingly random it does seem to favor certain teams, usually playoff teams in my experience as we have a few teams that have gotten far more breakout opportunities than others. Heck there are a couple of teams that have literally gotten 3 breakout opportunities in 1 game while I’ve only had something like 4-5 the entire cycle.
Yeah, that's what I started to notice is that it would be based on things like touchdowns so if a guy had 2 catches for 10 yards but one was a touchdown, it would trigger likely because he simply scored a touchdown. Same thing on defense with sacks and TFL's where I saw multiple times guys who would have one or two tackles getting breakout scenarios because they had one sack or one TFL.

I think what they should've done is instead of the breakout scenario triggering a specific challenge, just having the initial trigger be the DEV upgrade and having it happen after a really good game or after a series of good games where maybe a receiver averages 100 yards over a 3-4 game span or scores a touchdown in four straight games type of thing rather than getting a challenge that encourages you to stat chase. Then on the other side you could have the same thing where if a player started having a bad stretch of games he might drop in DEV as well.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Do QBs get dev upgrade scenarios or dev upgrades from stats and awards?

I had an MVP season with Kyler in which he also won OROTY, 5 OPOTWs, and was a SB champion, and he never got an upgrade scenario or an upgrade associated with awards.

It struck me that if ever there was a season where a "Star" would become a "Superstar," this was such a season, but alas.

Have others seen QB development upgrades?
Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #11
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0

I’ve spent some time studying scenarios and possible parameters in my online 32-team CFM. Here’s my hypothesis:

I’m fairly confident that the game is reusing its end-of-season development boost criteria (I.E. Average Statistical Rank in “X & X”) but checking against players of the same age and position during a specific time-frame.

Every player I studied, who received an upgrade the prior week, would have also had an aggregate average positional rank that would qualify them for an upgrade end-of-season — if the season ended THAT week and it only checked against players of that AGE and POSITION.

Which made sense to me when we would look at young players who get upgrades with really pedestrian numbers. For example, purely hypothetical, a 22 year-old HB runs for 27 yards and 1 TD in week 1, and runs for 69 yards in week 2. 96 rushing yards and 1 rushing TD might place him at the very top positional rank for HBs age 22 in rushing yards and rushing TDs through that time frame. Players like that would often get scenarios.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #12
MVP

tru11's Arena

Enough sacks , ints or TDs weeks in a row will trigger them.

To become an xfactor a player i think needs to be at least 85 overall if im correct or something like that.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:30 AM   #13
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

I’m really glad EA allows us to edit X Factor attributes in. Therefore you can add or remove however you see fit!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #14
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishBull34
Do QBs get dev upgrade scenarios or dev upgrades from stats and awards?

I had an MVP season with Kyler in which he also won OROTY, 5 OPOTWs, and was a SB champion, and he never got an upgrade scenario or an upgrade associated with awards.

It struck me that if ever there was a season where a "Star" would become a "Superstar," this was such a season, but alas.

Have others seen QB development upgrades?

I've seen QB's get upgrades from MVP, but they don't have scenarios... somehow EA decided not to include the most important position in the game in their new system.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #15
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
I've seen QB's get upgrades from MVP, but they don't have scenarios... somehow EA decided not to include the most important position in the game in their new system.
With how potent the pass rush is this year they also still haven't figured out a way to get OL breakout scenarios or post season dev increases. I saw one of the devs mention on twitter it's because they can't figure out a good way to handle them or criteria to use. The only way would probably be some kind of team stat goal, and they sit here and claim they can't find a good way yet when you get a defensive breakout usually one of the ways you can complete it is by holding your opponent under a certain amount of yards either through the air or on the ground (insert biggest eye roll ever here). This scenario engine is one of the most half a** implemented features I've ever seen from EA sports and that's saying a lot. When it was first announced the way it was sold to us with trade requests and other examples they mentioned which would give players personality, yet NONE of that made the game.

I know a lot is out of the hands of the devs when it comes to choices but the way this was implemented I think we can blame on them. This is one of the 1208480148102480 reasons why I only buy the game used now so my money doesn't go to EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »