Home

Could Coronavirus Impact the Development of Madden and Other Games?

This is a discussion on Could Coronavirus Impact the Development of Madden and Other Games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #17
Pro

Devaster's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Could Coronavirus Impact the Development of Madden and Other Games?

Why would EA use the opportunity to take a year off? That is a loss of revenue that many people rely on for salaries. A bunch of industries have taken a hit because of COVID, but if workers can remain just as productive at home for their current job then there won't be delays. And there shouldn't be. Anyone that can continue to work at home without any drop in production is good for the overall economy. Otherwise we would have even more people out of work.

I really can't see many games getting delayed unless they are impacted by the remote work or conditions get so bad that remote work becomes difficult/impossible.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:34 AM   #18
Rookie

The Black Redneck's Arena

I think EA and other video game companies will smartly cash in on the fact that the majority of the country is on lockdown and need something to provide entertainment and a bit of an escape. Gamers going to game regardless but now we see new gamers, and old gamers coming back.

As far as Madden goes I think as long as they can work on the game remotely we will see a new Madden game.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Redneck
I think EA and other video game companies will smartly cash in on the fact that the majority of the country is on lockdown and need something to provide entertainment and a bit of an escape. Gamers going to game regardless but now we see new gamers, and old gamers coming back.

As far as Madden goes I think as long as they can work on the game remotely we will see a new Madden game.
While people have a whole lot of free time, a large number of them also have a whole lot less disposable income given all the job losses and people who are just stopped for a while with no pay. I expect an industry such as this one to discover their revenue is on the decline, not cashing in...
Old 03-31-2020, 07:45 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
While people have a whole lot of free time, a large number of them also have a whole lot less disposable income given all the job losses and people who are just stopped for a while with no pay. I expect an industry such as this one to discover their revenue is on the decline, not cashing in...
I imagine it will vary quite a bit.

Overall income for the gaming industry might be down, but I could also easily see a handful of games seeing a ton of revenue. Animal Crossing right now, for example, seems to be getting a lot of attention it otherwise might not, because people need something to do and it's a light-hearted distraction that appeals to a lot of people.

A game like Madden, that already has a huge built-in audience, will probably fall in that same category IMO. As people are stuck inside, they'll be searching for ways to connect with the outside world. Massively popular games will be one way people do that. Shows like Tiger King, which quickly went viral, will be another.

There are other games, however, that I could easily see struggling. If a game isn't the type that will pull in a significant audience that feels connected to the outside world through playing it, it might not sell nearly as well as it otherwise would as people have to make harder decisions about where they spend their money.

All that said ... there should be little to no production issues for EA when it comes to Madden. I'm sure almost all the work could be done remotely if necessary. There won't be any reason to delay.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #21
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8

They just delayed The Last of Us 2 indefinitely. It can happen.
#WeAreND
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #22
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
They just delayed The Last of Us 2 indefinitely. It can happen.
Thats not a yearly release. No chance Madden gets pushed past late August.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 04-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #23
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegroove7
They will probably have to limit the game to one or two new features
So... business as usual, then.

(Mostly) tongue in cheek, but on a serious note... EA is much more likely to give us a game almost exactly like Madden 20 than they are to give us nothing at all.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijumpedthegun
So... business as usual, then.

(Mostly) tongue in cheek, but on a serious note... EA is much more likely to give us a game almost exactly like Madden 20 than they are to give us nothing at all.
At the very least we’re getting a 17 game season and expanded playoffs for franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »