Home

Help with Difficulty Selection

This is a discussion on Help with Difficulty Selection within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2020, 12:35 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Help with Difficulty Selection

So I've hit a bit of a wall.

I play by taking a team, moving them, getting rid of every player better than a 70, and rebuilding the team from scratch.

My current squad is a 77 overall. 79 off, 75 def.

On All-Pro with sliders favoring the CPU, I destroy them every game despite having a worse team.

On All-Madden, even with Human Accuracy set to 60 and my QB with 85 in all throwing ranges, I get blown out with my QB throwing horribly inaccurately on nearly every pass.

Game One against Miami on All-Madden? 44-14 Dolphins.

Game Two against Buffalo on All-Pro? 45-16 me.

Any suggestions? Better slider set maybe?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2020, 03:29 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Help with Difficulty Selection

I can’t help with the difficulty settings, as I’ve never played a game on All-Madden and have no intention of doing so.

However, given your complete rebuild approach, it seems you have no problem setting up some artificial hurdles for yourself. Have you considered creating extra obstacles with roster construction to handicap yourself instead of relying on sliders/difficulty settings?

For much of my franchise mode, I’ve had a running back who was 99 overall. I could have pretty easily had 300 yards every game on all-pro if I really wanted. One year I decided to spend a first rounder on a backup running back (which no team would do, and I didn’t really want to except the draft stories during the season indicated he was a likely superstar). My idea was to limit my star back’s carries in games I didn’t sim. Because the drafted guy never got the bulk of the carries, he didn’t progress quite like a normal superstar would (but was still damn fun to use). The new guy became my third down back and also frequently got snaps in single-back formations on running downs. This limited how often my star ran away from defenses and kept scores a bit lower.

Then a year or two later, I used another relatively high pick on a power back. So now I was splitting carries three ways, depending on formation and situation.

My main back still set every running back record before he retired (career, season, and single-game yards and touchdown records all his), but by forcing myself to split carries, it helped keep games a little bit closer.

Investing in three running backs I actually used meant a couple compromises had to be made elsewhere.

You could try a similar approach. Or set a sort of “rule” where you can only add to your offense through the draft. Or can only resign a certain number of guys before they hit free agency and force yourself to compete with the league to keep your guys.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
Rookie

As moTIGS said, you are setting yourself extra hurdles with your rebuild strategy. Look at how the Dolphins started this season, they looked like breaking all sort of the wrong records.

All-Madden is supposed to be a real challenge, gimping yourself is not going to make it easier
Personally I find All-Madden fine on offence, and that is with sliders slightly lower than default. Defence is where it is a killer, and a 75 overall D coming in to All-Madden for the first time is not going to cut it. I would actually consider your results respectable.

Perhaps practice on All-Madden using a decent team, come back to a rebuild after getting used to it.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
MVP

I have this same problem. I don't blow out the CPU all the time, but I do find it slightly too easy on All Pro and way too hard on All Madden. All Madden is just awful - ridiculous animations, incredibly unbalanced, and just not realistic.

I play with Matt10s All Pro sliders, but have made a few adjustments to up the difficulty slighter more. The primary change was nerfing user run blocking and boosting CPU run blocking. I think I also bumped CPU QB accuracy and pass coverage a bit.

It's still a little too easy at times but the Bears just lit me up and beat me by a field goal. I can post my full set tomorrow I'd you're interested?
Old 04-05-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTIGS
I can’t help with the difficulty settings, as I’ve never played a game on All-Madden and have no intention of doing so.

However, given your complete rebuild approach, it seems you have no problem setting up some artificial hurdles for yourself. Have you considered creating extra obstacles with roster construction to handicap yourself instead of relying on sliders/difficulty settings?

For much of my franchise mode, I’ve had a running back who was 99 overall. I could have pretty easily had 300 yards every game on all-pro if I really wanted. One year I decided to spend a first rounder on a backup running back (which no team would do, and I didn’t really want to except the draft stories during the season indicated he was a likely superstar). My idea was to limit my star back’s carries in games I didn’t sim. Because the drafted guy never got the bulk of the carries, he didn’t progress quite like a normal superstar would (but was still damn fun to use). The new guy became my third down back and also frequently got snaps in single-back formations on running downs. This limited how often my star ran away from defenses and kept scores a bit lower.

Then a year or two later, I used another relatively high pick on a power back. So now I was splitting carries three ways, depending on formation and situation.

My main back still set every running back record before he retired (career, season, and single-game yards and touchdown records all his), but by forcing myself to split carries, it helped keep games a little bit closer.

Investing in three running backs I actually used meant a couple compromises had to be made elsewhere.

You could try a similar approach. Or set a sort of “rule” where you can only add to your offense through the draft. Or can only resign a certain number of guys before they hit free agency and force yourself to compete with the league to keep your guys.
I mean, I do gimp myself pretty hard. I'm only allowed to sign 1 player greater than 80 in any given free agency, and if I fail to sign them, tough luck. I also can only scout for the first 9 weeks of the season + the final two weeks before the draft to stop from finding every gem in the draft.

I noticed last night that if I put human accuracy all the way to 90 on All-Madden suddenly the game becomes much better. I still miss wide open throws 4 or 5 times a game, but it's no longer 4 or 5 times a drive. The cheese routes from All-Pro don't work as well either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
I have this same problem. I don't blow out the CPU all the time, but I do find it slightly too easy on All Pro and way too hard on All Madden. All Madden is just awful - ridiculous animations, incredibly unbalanced, and just not realistic.

I play with Matt10s All Pro sliders, but have made a few adjustments to up the difficulty slighter more. The primary change was nerfing user run blocking and boosting CPU run blocking. I think I also bumped CPU QB accuracy and pass coverage a bit.

It's still a little too easy at times but the Bears just lit me up and beat me by a field goal. I can post my full set tomorrow I'd you're interested?
On All-Pro I do Human Accuracy 35, Human Catching 49 Human Run Block 25, AI Accuracy 49 AI Run Block 49 (I usually only play offense to stop human X-Factors from warping the game).

On All-Madden, I did Human Accuracy 90 with all other sliders at 50 (except AI Accuracy at 49 to stop robo-QB stats), and that seemed to work better. Still need to test it more.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:17 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon17000

I play by taking a team, moving them, getting rid of every player better than a 70, and rebuilding the team from scratch.

On All-Pro with sliders favoring the CPU, I destroy them every game despite having a worse team.

On All-Madden, even with Human Accuracy set to 60 and my QB with 85 in all throwing ranges, I get blown out with my QB throwing horribly inaccurately on nearly every pass.

I have the exact same issue. I have tried madden but I can’t stick with it. Plus I have a few friends in my league so I have to find a good balance for all of us. I use Matt10 sliders but I have buffed up the computer more. The first 2 weeks of our 2020 season looks to be a promising start we were a combined 3-5 vs the computer. The sliders are under Locust league in the vault if you want to try them.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Pro

I've given up in search of the unicorn slider setting. Each year I get the game and each year I think the game would be 'perfect' if I could just find that perfect setting... it does not exist.

So what I do is play on All Pro. All Madden is out of my league. I also created 10 somewhat random Human sliders and 10 somewhat random AI sliders and before each game, pick one. My logic is that if I have, say HUM passing set to 80, then every single game, the QB will pretty much have laser accuracy. So the reason I randomize my sliders is so that each game feels different.

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon17000

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »