Home

Fear Him

This is a discussion on Fear Him within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
Rookie

LocDawg5050's Arena

OVR: 0
Fear Him

I feel like Madden has done alot of great things this rear. Still would like to see the weight of the players translate to field.

I would like to truly FEAR some of the elites of the game tho. Similar to how they have DE and blitzing linebackers that trey me a difference this year, I'd like to fear that RB or WR o TE that you have to game plan for.

Like with the Double Team feature. If like to see tools set up to keep DeAndre Hopkins or Amani Toomer or someone else who is leather from doing what they do best.

Right now when I go up against Derrick Hemry or another top WR I don't feel threaten. Partially because the AI QB doesn't target them as much.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Fear Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawg5050
I feel like Madden has done alot of great things this rear. Still would like to see the weight of the players translate to field.

I would like to truly FEAR some of the elites of the game tho. Similar to how they have DE and blitzing linebackers that trey me a difference this year, I'd like to fear that RB or WR o TE that you have to game plan for.

Like with the Double Team feature. If like to see tools set up to keep DeAndre Hopkins or Amani Toomer or someone else who is leather from doing what they do best.

Right now when I go up against Derrick Hemry or another top WR I don't feel threaten. Partially because the AI QB doesn't target them as much.

I agree that teams need to utilize their weapons and play to their strengths far more (as well as play more like their real life counterparts). And to counter this we need real pre-game planning to set up a strategy and get the whole defense on the same page about what we'll be doing to stop the opposing team's star players.

I personally think EA is going in the right direction with Superstar abilities making the best players stand out more but the fans seem pretty split on the feature.

As for "fear" ehh I think better phrasing for me would be "concentrate on". I don't think I could ever truly fear a video game athlete like in real life how I fear a great player on an opposing team potentially lighting us up on gameday.

In a video game I just don't have the same emotional attachment since it's not real so the stakes are not there to create the sensation of fear in me regardless of how much a virtual player is destroying me. I can just turn it off or even take my beating but it has no effect on me because at the end of the day, nothing in my life changes. I just can't put the same investment into a game as a real life match-up
Old 05-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Rookie

LocDawg5050's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by segarr
I agree that teams need to utilize their weapons and play to their strengths far more (as well as play more like their real life counterparts). And to counter this we need real pre-game planning to set up a strategy and get the whole defense on the same page about what we'll be doing to stop the opposing team's star players.

I personally think EA is going in the right direction with Superstar abilities making the best players stand out more but the fans seem pretty split on the feature.

As for "fear" ehh I think better phrasing for me would be "concentrate on". I don't think I could ever truly fear a video game athlete like in real life how I fear a great player on an opposing team potentially lighting us up on gameday.

In a video game I just don't have the same emotional attachment since it's not real so the stakes are not there to create the sensation of fear in me regardless of how much a virtual player is destroying me. I can just turn it off or even take my beating but it has no effect on me because at the end of the day, nothing in my life changes. I just can't put the same investment into a game as a real life match-up
Great comment! All good points..we want to see the cpu Star WR take advantage of our weaker CB or bad defense pre play set up. I want to see safety crowed the box when they are going against a ground pound offense but do.the opposite if the run game is known to be weak. Stuff like that would truly make for unique game play. Here lately games feel the same minus planning for those elite rushers.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by segarr

Fans are split because it’s executed exceedingly poorly. Like many things in Madden, the team has the right idea but takes it in a woeful direction (like the Franchise tedium; they attempted to improve depth, but instead if making the league come alive, they simply added a checklist chore that does nothing but offer the user to read something they already know. A better move to introduce depth and realism would be to CONNECT the league with dynamic presentation (Weekly wrap up show, better draft presentation, remembering who won the last MVP and Super Bowl, making the Super Bowl feel special, etc),and overhaul player development with something like training camp and actual assistant coaches that do something).

So they wanted to differentiate between the best players and the average players, but instead of just giving the best players unique animations and better ratings, they turned it into a “in the zone” mini-game, which causes the player to execute UNSOUND football strategy in order to achieve an arcady boost. They’ve added a feature that rewards unrealistic football instead of stimulating it.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Fans are split because it’s executed exceedingly poorly. Like many things in Madden, the team has the right idea but takes it in a woeful direction (like the Franchise tedium; they attempted to improve depth, but instead if making the league come alive, they simply added a checklist chore that does nothing but offer the user to read something they already know. A better move to introduce depth and realism would be to CONNECT the league with dynamic presentation (Weekly wrap up show, better draft presentation, remembering who won the last MVP and Super Bowl, making the Super Bowl feel special, etc),and overhaul player development with something like training camp and actual assistant coaches that do something).

So they wanted to differentiate between the best players and the average players, but instead of just giving the best players unique animations and better ratings, they turned it into a “in the zone” mini-game, which causes the player to execute UNSOUND football strategy in order to achieve an arcady boost. They’ve added a feature that rewards unrealistic football instead of stimulating it.
Well I met I like the direction they went with Superstar abilities only in that they finally acknowledged star players need to feel different from some 3rd string scrub. I totally agree it was executed poorly though.

Meeting check box criteria so a player suddenly becomes a beast once conditions are met is unrealistic and indeed arcadey. In real life, a star player is always a threat to make a big play. He doesn't need to fill some quota in his mind or stat sheet to become a better version of himself.

Lets take Mahome's "Bazooka" ability for example. 'Max throwing distance increased by 15 yards' and the unlock condition is one or two 30+ yard completed passes'. This is ridiculous. In real life, Patrick Mahomes can always bomb the ball down field that long. He doesn't need to get into any "zone" to be able to execute a purely physical feat, that is simply his arm strength.

They would have been better off just widening the 0-99 rating scale to account for these freak athletes entering the league now so that 99 Arm Strength means they now max out at 80 yards and then give Mahomes that 99 arm strength rating.

I think EA created the Superstar abilities feature the way they did so the game would be more balanced for online play. They figured, "No, we can't let Mahomes be able to throw 80 yards downfield all game it will be unbalanced online. Let's put a system in place where the player first has to unlock it and then can lose it if they get 'knocked out' of that state by the other player. That's balance!"

What bothers me is that they decided giving and taking away athlete's real abilities at different points was the best way to create balance instead of letting the athletes always play like themselves but have the A.I. react and adjust to the situation. So if Mahomes is constantly chucking it downfield all game have the defensive backs play off the receivers a bit more. Or blitz the linebackers so receivers don't have the time to get that far downfield. That's just a couple adjustments the A.I. could make to try and deal with it.

While playing online leave it up to the user to make those adjustments themselves. Maybe even make it easier to do the adjustments like have a "Gameplan" menu you can access like in the NBA 2K series during the game where there is a huge list of adjustments you can make so you don't have to do it every down at the line of scrimmage
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
MVP

I agree with the comments so far regarding X-Factor players and In the Zone abilities.

However, to be fair to EA, Superstar players and abilities are well implemented in my opinion. Their abilities are always active and allow those players to do things in game that other players can't.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
Pro

Executor's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
It's about how you play. Never in my 6 seasons played so far did I force carries or targets to an offensive XF player only to get him in the zone. And even when my guy got in the zone (which was not very often), he was usually knocked out of it in about two or three snaps.

Same goes for defense.

I also never forced myself to beef up the player's in-game stats to achieve goals of a breakout scenario. Even when I met the criteria for a dev trait bump, that was never on purpose - it all came naturally, because that was just how the game went.

So again, it's about how you play. You either force-feed and cheat and flat out rack up the yardage and stats to squeeze every advantage over CPU or HUM opponents that you can to just crush him/it, or you let the flow of the game come to you naturally and let the XF and SS players shine when they are supposed to shine.

As for the OP, try going against a team which has both ENFORCER and someone with enhanced COVERAGE abilities on the field. Suddenly, you basically can't run, can't pass, and you will have to be at your playcalling's best to even string a successfull drive or two together, not to mention WIN.

Or go play against Patrick Mahomes with a team with mediocre to below average QB... Yeah, I think this game can definitely make you FEAR some of those guys. I do not think we have ever had this before.
Marshall Thundering Herd
Los Angeles Dodgers

"Greater than I, lesser than I, what does it matter to my functioning?"
(Steve Perry: Shadows of the Empire)

Last edited by Executor; 05-02-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawg5050

It definitely isn't the same as facing pass rushers, but that is good reason reason. QB's and pass rushers are the two most important positions in football. One leads the offense and the other gets to the offensive leader.

I notice when defenses have other superstars and X-factors as well because they are catching tipped INT's and making big plays. I also notice the same when my opponent has superstar and XF offensive players. Julio made a routine catch against me in a recent game and made one move and took it to the house. I've had Zeke hurdle a defender and take it to the house. I've had QB's get into the zone and I can't stop them.

CPU AI on offense is something that has needed an overhaul for years though, so I can agree with you there. The play-calling is predictable at times and often makes no sense based on the situation. I really wish the CPU offense was more dynamic and took into account a lot more situations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »