Home

Formation Previews

This is a discussion on Formation Previews within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2020, 02:37 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Formation Previews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo is GOD
I mean I guess it does say the literal formation name, I've just always paid attention to the personnel that is coming on the field for the next play. Literally never noticed it. Like I said just because you know the personnel doesn't mean you know where they will line up. If its gonna be shot gun or not is the very last thing on my mind.

Either way, there are way bigger fish to fry when it comes to changing the game for the better than this.. I just thank god they added the personnel informant however many years ago. It used to be maddening (best word to describe it at this point) just guessing and having to pick plays based on nothing but guesswork and situational football so I don't see this as an issue at all, personally.

Unfortunately there are so many things wrong with Madden that you just have to turn a blind eye towards to even try to enjoy the game..
QB alignment means a lot less than you think, personnel can tip you off as to what might be coming
Old 05-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegroove7
When you call a play in the huddle, it tells the defense which formation you picked. Why does Madden do this when in reality the defense wouldn't know what formation you are in until you get to the line of scrimmage? It should tell them what personnel you are in so the defense can match but telling them that I'm in singleback or shotgun is unrealistic and gives an unfair advantage to the defense.

They added that information when they took away the last play art for defense. It basically gives the defense a chance to make the correct call as far as trips or bunch calls (how the defensive playcalls are set up in the suggested plays) vs more standard 2x2 sets. And in reality Defensive play calls arent sent in until the offense is mostly set so they can go off of how they have lined up.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #11

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I think it was added when Wildcat was at its peak and was being exploited in online play (IIRC).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegroove7
It's a pretty big difference when it comes to singleback vs. shotgun, that's all.
It's a big deal for many reasons beyond that...shotgun vs. under center is the probably the smallest part of the issue, given the modern prevelance of running plays out of 11 personnel or from shotgun.

Showing the formation (empty, doubles, trips, bunch, close/reduced splits, etc) is a much bigger deal. Consider, just as one example, that Madden contains 12 personnel packages (1 RB, 2 TE) that are empty sets, and therefore won't be runs without an audible. Showing me Empty formation while in the huddle changes my playcalling decisions way more than seeing Singleback Deuce Close vs. Shotgun Deuce Close would.

Question: does anybody know offhand if subs (either via formation subs or via one of the pre-made sub options in game) change the personnel listing in the huddle? That is, if you've subbed a FB in for your TE2 or a RB for your SLWR, will that change the personnel listing shown? Or will Madden default to the positions associated with that formation in its database?
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #13
MVP

It shows default. I've played MUT H2H games this year against guys who didn't have a single WR on the field.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #14
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I hope this is on topic with previews. I can accept not showing the play art for defense after a play for Online, but in offline, Play Now games I see no reason to had the play art. I have chosen the option in settings to show play art, and it does show, inconsistently, the play art for the CPU defense.

What I dislike is that the CPU defense display of play art seems to not show up after the defense makes a key play such as forcing an incomplete pass, INT, fumble, sack, etc. Frustrating because I feel the CPU cheats to create the idea of a competitive game, and without the play art it is far more difficult, or inefficient to use Play Now as a learning/practice tool for creating new schemes.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I think it was added when Wildcat was at its peak and was being exploited in online play (IIRC).
This was a pretty recent change, if 20 wasn’t the first year then it was 19. My favorite was the system they had in college football where instead of just saying 3WR 1RB 1TE they would tell you the actual players on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
It shows default. I've played MUT H2H games this year against guys who didn't have a single WR on the field.
Ugh. That's the ugliest part of all this then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »